Evolution education in foreign countries

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-10-2011, 02:47 PM
Evolution education in foreign countries
Does anyone know the extent that Evolution is being taught in foreign countries? By foreign countries, I mean those outside European or American influence, like the Middle East, Central Asia, East Asia, etc. What brought this to mind was a book that I am reading for a college class on the geography of the Silk Road. In it, the author Colin Thubron, a noted travel writer, has a discussion with a large Uighur man living on the border between China and Central Asia. It reads:

Quote:“The man tears his cap from a massive, balding head. ‘Yes, my country’s rich, and [the Chinese are] destroying it. They live in their filthy high-rises and make cities of smog. And they loved Stalin, the Chinese did.’ He clasps his two hands in accord. ‘I think they have no souls. In middle school Chinese teachers told us we were descended from monkeys. Monkeys! And the Chinese eat monkeys. They eat their ancestors…’” (Shadow of the Silk Road, 130)

I never thought I would have seen mention of evolution in a book on the Silk Road. Many of the Uighur people are Muslims. The man seems to have some apprehension about the theory. Plus, his mention of monkeys shows misconceptions about the theory are worldwide.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2011, 02:58 PM (This post was last modified: 02-10-2011 03:01 PM by cufflink.)
RE: Evolution education in foreign countries
(02-10-2011 02:47 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Does anyone know the extent that Evolution is being taught in foreign countries? By foreign countries, I mean those outside European or American influence, like the Middle East, Central Asia, East Asia, etc.

You can find some information on Pakistan and Turkey here.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
02-10-2011, 11:32 PM
In Japan evolution is taught in biology as fact. Those who reject the theory on the grounds of religion are thought to be eccentric at best, crazy at out of touch at worst.

Generally religion is not overly important in Japan, some Christian missionaries manage to bullied and conned into belief, but it is becoming less common now.

Hence why I was surprised to see missionaries here... ugh I hate missionaries.

[Image: 1471821-futurama_bender_s_big_score_imag...er-1-1.jpg]
02-10-2011, 11:57 PM
(02-10-2011 02:47 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Does anyone know the extent that Evolution is being taught in foreign countries? By foreign countries, I mean those outside European or American influence, like the Middle East, Central Asia, East Asia, etc. What brought this to mind was a book that I am reading for a college class on the geography of the Silk Road. In it, the author Colin Thubron, a noted travel writer, has a discussion with a large Uighur man living on the border between China and Central Asia. It reads:

Quote:“The man tears his cap from a massive, balding head. ‘Yes, my country’s rich, and [the Chinese are] destroying it. They live in their filthy high-rises and make cities of smog. And they loved Stalin, the Chinese did.’ He clasps his two hands in accord. ‘I think they have no souls. In middle school Chinese teachers told us we were descended from monkeys. Monkeys! And the Chinese eat monkeys. They eat their ancestors…’” (Shadow of the Silk Road, 130)

I never thought I would have seen mention of evolution in a book on the Silk Road. Many of the Uighur people are Muslims. The man seems to have some apprehension about the theory. Plus, his mention of monkeys shows misconceptions about the theory are worldwide.
Yah there are crackpots everywhere.
China is mainly atheistic though, so its pretty obvious what they teach.
03-10-2011, 02:31 AM
Here on Balkan we have biology, never even heard about creationism and ID until 2-3 years ago, and I heard about it from the Internet and from USA. As far as I can see, it is something that originated in USA and it it very slowly spreading around the world from there. It is not surprising that the "Muslim part of the world" is learning evolution, when the basics of modern medicine come from Middle East, when Europe was stupid and ignorant because of Catholic church, the Muslims had advanced medicine and gunpowder. Then that stupidity and ignorance caused by religions, Christianity mostly, moved from Europe to USA and now it thrives there, unfortunately for you living there. Also if you look at history, countries like China invented medicine, so it would be very hard to imagine that they would teach something like creationism. Plus, in modern times, China is (was) communist country, and if you didn't know, communism doesn't allow religions openly, so there is no way that something like creationism will EVER be even considered in China. The main reason these BS are in USA is because how USA as a country is formed. Let me clarify it, USA started as a multi-ethnical and multi-religious country and on that basis they gave their people all sorts of freedoms, religion freedoms, speech freedoms, more freedoms than other countries would allow and there you have it, they have made their own fertile ground for all sorts of anti-scientific facts, that go into "religious" category, so they are protected by those "freedom laws".

You see, communism is not that bad in all cases and ultimate freedom is not that good also. Not that USA has ultimate freedom, not even close, but more freedoms than most of the world, yes.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
03-10-2011, 04:05 AM
Singapore here. Creationism? Not taught in schools. Evolution? A level syllabus. We have a myriad of religions and races here, and everyone's pretty, in fact very tolerant of each other. No one forces someone to enter a certain religion, and it's quite open here Big Grin

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ