Evolution, help me understand.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-12-2011, 09:27 AM
Evolution, help me understand.
So I am an Atheist (as you most know) but I am very open to hearing ideas about religion. I really want to learn about evolution and reason, but I have nobody to help me see what it truely is. So what exactly is evolution and reason, please post links if you would like.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2011, 09:41 AM
RE: Evolution, help me understand.
There are many confusing views on this subject. I have always thought evolution to be fact but it can be confusing when fed misinformation. I would suggest researching many videos and reading several articles about it. I would not suggest any religious sites. They skew the information that scientists provide to suit their view.

Here are some links to help you if you like (note some of these videos may not have all the facts 100% correct but they are a good start to understanding evolution):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuIY6GTyE88&

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEP7Z55Z6nM

I'd suggest many more videos but these are just a couple I knew right off hand. Another site to check out for fact checking; when you get faulty religious versions of evolution and whatever else they toss out is:

http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/

I hope some of this helps. I have a pretty good understanding of it as of recently. I started going back to school to become a nurse and had to restudy science/biology. That truly reminded me of so much I had forgotten.

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-12-2011, 09:46 AM
thank you, i will do some reading now ^^
05-12-2011, 09:55 AM
Sorry I overlooked your other part about reason.

Reason is a term that involves the ability to use concepts and logic to form a conclusion. Example: If an individual is given a meaningless set of letters and asked to reorganize them into a word, reasoning is the process by which he or she determines the conclusion. "reason" may also be loosely referred to as thinking, cognition, or problem-solving. -Jackson Hardy - copied from Wikipedia

I listen to a podcast from http://www.skeptoid.com
Brian Dunning is a good site to check out when you want to apply logic, reason, and critical thinking. You can read and listen to the podcast via media player or whatever you like.

There are many more.
Here's a little short of Christopher Hitchens. There are many more with him that are probably be better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrMyCyZx1zY

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-12-2011, 10:05 AM
Thank you bud! Big Grin
05-12-2011, 10:25 AM

Great book thats a super easy to read and understand (unlike some of the complex Dawkins books) is this little gem...

http://www.amazon.com/Why-Evolution-True...0670020532

D
Quote this message in a reply
05-12-2011, 11:45 AM
So much to learn. Don't know where to start. I think the reason such a large percentage of people don't believe in evolution is 1) they are too stupid/lazy to learn the smallest details of it and 2) dumb things like "if we come from monkeys then why are there still monkeys?" keep getting repeated as a result of #1.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
05-12-2011, 11:50 AM

(05-12-2011 11:45 AM)germanyt Wrote:  So much to learn. Don't know where to start. I think the reason such a large percentage of people don't believe in evolution is 1) they are too stupid/lazy to learn the smallest details of it and 2) dumb things like "if we come from monkeys then why are there still monkeys?" keep getting repeated as a result of #1.

When i hear the #2 explanation, i generally applaud them loudly! Congratulate them on successfully reading and really knowing the content of Origin of Species. THEN ask them what their second favorite thing about Origins was that they disagreed with most, oh, and what chapter was it again that Darwin stated we came from monkeys? (as silly me...i forgot).

By that point they are angry at me for mocking them for their own stupidity....but if they DARE say anything else...i'll remind them it was THEY who opened their ass and said such stupid things without having the 1st clue. I dont do well with uninformed opinions. Its OK to be stupid, just dont be so god damn bold about it because Bachmann or your Pastor told you it was true.

D
[+] 2 users Like Denicio's post
05-12-2011, 12:04 PM
(05-12-2011 11:50 AM)Denicio Wrote:  
(05-12-2011 11:45 AM)germanyt Wrote:  So much to learn. Don't know where to start. I think the reason such a large percentage of people don't believe in evolution is 1) they are too stupid/lazy to learn the smallest details of it and 2) dumb things like "if we come from monkeys then why are there still monkeys?" keep getting repeated as a result of #1.

When i hear the #2 explanation, i generally applaud them loudly! Congratulate them on successfully reading and really knowing the content of Origin of Species. THEN ask them what their second favorite thing about Origins was that they disagreed with most, oh, and what chapter was it again that Darwin stated we came from monkeys? (as silly me...i forgot).

By that point they are angry at me for mocking them for their own stupidity....but if they DARE say anything else...i'll remind them it was THEY who opened their ass and said such stupid things without having the 1st clue. I dont do well with uninformed opinions. Its OK to be stupid, just dont be so god damn bold about it because Bachmann or your Pastor told you it was true.

D

Fucking this man. We should have a beer or something.

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

-Mark Twain
05-12-2011, 01:21 PM

(05-12-2011 12:04 PM)germanyt Wrote:  
(05-12-2011 11:50 AM)Denicio Wrote:  

D

Fucking this man. We should have a beer or something.

Not a beer guy, but i can appreciate a fine red wine! If you ever find yourself at the ass end of the universe (memphis, TN), i'll gladly have you over for some 2" Thick New York Strip steaks and a nice Chianti! Thanks for the props.

D