Evolution in School

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2013, 07:03 PM
Sad Evolution in School
We are now in the 1920's in History class and we are getting into the so called "controversy" of science in the classroom.

We are learning about the Scopes trial and we got into a little discussion today that left me a bit pissed.

My teacher (living in the bible belt) is of course a religious person and today she was hinting at Evolution being the same as a religion.

This royally pissed me off and everyone else was in agreement with the teacher.

I raised my hand to say something, but I quickly lowered it in fear that I would start a riot.

We are going to continue to learn about this and probably discuss so I need your opinion on what approach I should take.

I don't want to go throughout class without the opposite position being discussed (mostly the validity of Evolution, on which I have much knowledge).

All that I really want to point out is that most people that understand Evolution believe it to be true and that this is not coincidence.

Sorry if I went all over the place, I wrote this the fastest I could.

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2013, 07:30 PM
RE: Evolution in School
...'Murica...

1. Explain, in short, that evolution is not like pokemon. Ask whether the strong, fast, and intelligent man is more likely to survive on the pre-historic plains, or the man of lesser intelligence, strength, or speed. Then explain that he is the one more likely to reproduce. Of his children, the same can be said about the one more likely to survive. Occasionally, due to a random genetic mutation, a child will be born a significantly different from the previous generation. If this change is better suited to survive the environment they live in, they become more likely to reproduce... and on it goes. So many people don't understand the very basic and unavoidable mechanics of selection. The first part is obvious, and should be to anyone, and the second (mutation) part, although not as obvious, is a more recently understood aspect of biology.

2. Bring up the fact that there is plenty of evidence in support of evolution. Both fossil, and even within our lifetimes. Bacterial experiments, etc.

3. Bring up the fact that there is the same amount of evidence for the Abrahamic God, as there is for Zeus or Thor, or any of the other gods.
[+] 2 users Like WeAreTheCosmos's post
20-02-2013, 07:51 PM
What WeAreTheCosmos said. Don't let that shit go without commenting IF you are able to. It disgusts me that schools even allow such ignorant people to teach children.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

[+] 1 user Likes Adenosis's post
20-02-2013, 07:56 PM
Well, if you know evolution well, then just get definitions out of the dictionary for : scientific theory and theory and evolution and religion. I am a seer of the future, I can predict that people will say "its only a theory". Then explain why there is no controversy in evolutionary theory, and that its the base to all of modern biology. You can cite, Dover trail how a conservative judge that started out believing in "teaching the controversy", was schooled into how science works. That every scientific academy around the world accepts it as fact.....there is no controversy outside of America that is even worth mentioning. That in the 1920's the only reason there was a controversy was because of the religious people making one.

Arguing with a Christian is a lot like playing chess with a pigeon. You can be the greatest player in the world, yet the pigeon will knock over all the pieces, shit on the board and strut away triumphantly.
[+] 4 users Like StorMFront's post
20-02-2013, 09:21 PM
(20-02-2013 07:03 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  We are now in the 1920's in History class and we are getting into the so called "controversy" of science in the classroom.

We are learning about the Scopes trial and we got into a little discussion today that left me a bit pissed.

My teacher (living in the bible belt) is of course a religious person and today she was hinting at Evolution being the same as a religion.

This royally pissed me off and everyone else was in agreement with the teacher.

I raised my hand to say something, but I quickly lowered it in fear that I would start a riot.

We are going to continue to learn about this and probably discuss so I need your opinion on what approach I should take.

I don't want to go throughout class without the opposite position being discussed (mostly the validity of Evolution, on which I have much knowledge).

All that I really want to point out is that most people that understand Evolution believe it to be true and that this is not coincidence.

Sorry if I went all over the place, I wrote this the fastest I could.

Thanks.
Could you give a few examples of how she's adopting a pro-religious stance? I'm afraid it wasn't clear from your post. Regardless, I can tell you the first step you should take.

Step 1: Identify your goals. You want it to be discussed. Who do you want to be part of the discussion? Are you aiming for a debate with your teacher, or do you want to reach your classmates instead? If the latter, you have no need to actually discuss it in the classroom, during the assigned period. You can undermine her, with some time restrictions, before or after class. Identify points of error and share this with any who will listen. Be prepared to back up that these are errors if challenged.

Also, take copious, copious notes. Document everything. Jot down any egregious statements or errors she makes for later review. KEEP these notes. The documentation can easilly prove handy.

Also-also, are you out at your school as an atheist or a not-fundamentalist-Christian? This can affect the avenues open to you.

"If I ignore the alternatives, the only option is God; I ignore them; therefore God." -- The Syllogism of Fail
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
20-02-2013, 09:28 PM
Talk to the principal of your school and explain that your teacher is not qualified to teach evolution.
Ask him or her to find someone qualified, who is experienced on the topic.
I am going to assume that your teacher doesn't hold a bachelors degree in biology.

Or you could get a small horn and BLAST it loudly every time you hear a lie.

Or create your own lesson plan for the class, with reading material, tests, etc

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
20-02-2013, 09:30 PM
(20-02-2013 09:21 PM)Reltzik Wrote:  
(20-02-2013 07:03 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  We are now in the 1920's in History class and we are getting into the so called "controversy" of science in the classroom.
Could you give a few examples of how she's adopting a pro-religious stance? I'm afraid it wasn't clear from your post. Regardless, I can tell you the first step you should take.

Also-also, are you out at your school as an atheist or a not-fundamentalist-Christian? This can affect the avenues open to you.
She's basically comparing Evolution to a religion, and I hate when people think like that.

She also said "there is still a controversy over whether we were made by god or by something else."

And she referred to evolution as "the belief that we come from animals" (as if we aren't animals)

And by saying that she made many people stray from the topic (OH NO I"m AN ANIMAL?)

I am out at my school as an atheist but that's not the title I give myself, I just say that I am non religious (but most people take that as atheist)

Many people come to me when they have questions regarding science (everyone knows me as the science person with straight A's in science. lol)
20-02-2013, 09:32 PM
(20-02-2013 09:28 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Talk to the principal of your school and explain that your teacher is not qualified to teach evolution.
I am going to assume that your teacher doesn't hold a bachelors degree in biology.

Oh no, this is history class.

The teacher is not qualified to teach biology.
20-02-2013, 09:53 PM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2013 09:58 PM by StorMFront.)
(20-02-2013 09:32 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  
(20-02-2013 09:28 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Talk to the principal of your school and explain that your teacher is not qualified to teach evolution.

Oh no, this is history class.

s this a public highschool?

Arguing with a Christian is a lot like playing chess with a pigeon. You can be the greatest player in the world, yet the pigeon will knock over all the pieces, shit on the board and strut away triumphantly.
20-02-2013, 10:06 PM
(20-02-2013 09:53 PM)StorMFront Wrote:  
(20-02-2013 09:32 PM)UndercoverAtheist Wrote:  Oh no, this is history class.

s this a public highschool?
Yes, and I know that it is against the school's rules to have an opinionated talk about religion or lack there of with a teacher.

I don't want to make a huge deal out of it because what she said was really not the worst I have heard. (Don't even get me started on my 7th grade science teacher.)

She most likely just didn't know what she was talking about ( nevertheless it did piss me off because everyone was in agreement which is suspected.)