Evolution in action - Starfish

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2013, 04:28 PM
Evolution in action - Starfish
Nifty article showing that Starfish are developing "eyes" at the end of each arm.
Basically cells that are sensitive to light allowing them to navigate their environment.

http://www.richarddawkins.net/news_artic...evolution#

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
23-08-2013, 02:31 PM
RE: Evolution in action - Starfish
Well that's fascinating, but unfortunately, the creationists have a stunning counter-argument: "GOD DID IT TO TEST OUR FAITH!"
23-08-2013, 03:26 PM
(06-07-2013 04:28 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Nifty article showing that Starfish are developing "eyes" at the end of each arm.
Basically cells that are sensitive to light allowing them to navigate their environment.

In about another 300 years biologists will (probably) have collected irrefutable data showing significant evolution from point 'A' to point 'B', with each mutation recorded in detail. What happens to the god of the gaps when the gaps get filled in?

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
23-08-2013, 03:34 PM
(23-08-2013 03:26 PM)guitar_nut Wrote:  
(06-07-2013 04:28 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Nifty article showing that Starfish are developing "eyes" at the end of each arm.

In about another 300 years biologists will (probably) have collected irrefutable data showing significant evolution from point 'A' to point 'B', with each mutation recorded in detail. What happens to the god of the gaps when the gaps get filled in?

The universe is vast, gaps can be found everywhere. Doesn't matter how big or small, as long as there are gaps, god will exist.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
23-08-2013, 04:38 PM
Freaking sweet. Next step Gw'oth!

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-08-2013, 05:43 PM
Mighty Cthulhu reveals his wisdom and power through his lowly children!!

There is no "I" in "team" but there is a broken and mixed up "me."
23-08-2013, 06:25 PM
Waaaaay cool!

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

24-08-2013, 05:51 AM
My understanding is that they eyes themselves are not thought to be new, but thought to be ancient. The point of the discovery being that an animal without a central nervous system, without a brain, can still "see"... proving that eyes can develop before a brain develops and still be useful.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
24-08-2013, 06:24 AM (This post was last modified: 24-08-2013 06:50 AM by Free Thought.)
(24-08-2013 05:51 AM)Hafnof Wrote:  My understanding is that they eyes themselves are not thought to be new, but thought to be ancient. The point of the discovery being that an animal without a central nervous system, without a brain, can still "see"... proving that eyes can develop before a brain develops and still be useful.

Well, the optics developing before dedicated optical nerves and brain centres does make a fair bit of sense in away...

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.