"Evolution is a lie" and the campus god-botherers

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-09-2013, 07:31 AM
"Evolution is a lie" and the campus god-botherers
A group of preaching evolution-deniers dropped by campus yesterday. I didn't really engage them but sat back and watched as some of the students did (which is very encouraging to see and hear since they are talking about something that at least matters instead of what Miley Cyrus did this week). I talked to some of the undergrads for a little bit (a couple of the preachers tried worming their way into the conversation but left very quickly when I didn't say things they couldn't twist into a semantics argument to claim victory) and I snagged myself this

[attachment=1569]

Yes. That is the Ray Comfort ambush and edit DVD "Evolution vs. God" that another thread has already been started about. Score. Well, kind of. I want to watch it but I can already feel my blood pressure rising.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
13-09-2013, 07:48 AM
RE: "Evolution is a lie" and the campus god-botherers
Might I suggest using the DVD as a coaster, back-up frisbee, or skeet shooting target? Failing that, I would suggest...

[Image: 25yuswsw28295.gif]

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
13-09-2013, 08:19 AM
Rip it, post it, share it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-09-2013, 08:58 AM
(13-09-2013 08:19 AM)Chas Wrote:  Rip it, post it, share it.

You can watch it for free on YouTube.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-09-2013, 09:19 AM
(13-09-2013 08:58 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(13-09-2013 08:19 AM)Chas Wrote:  Rip it, post it, share it.

You can watch it for free on YouTube.

Just google it, they have a website where they posted it for free. It was actually pretty interesting to watch. Not from an intellectual standpoint, but watching how it was put together and edited is amusing. He obviously had to take the absolute worst moments of each interview and use only those moments in order to make his argument even vaguely competent (which he ultimately completely fails to do because, come on, it's Ray Comfort).

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
14-09-2013, 06:51 AM

(13-09-2013 07:31 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  A group of preaching evolution-deniers dropped by campus yesterday.

Hey, maybe PleaseJesus was one of them... Big Grin
Quote this message in a reply
14-09-2013, 07:07 AM
(13-09-2013 07:31 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  A group of preaching evolution-deniers dropped by campus yesterday. I didn't really engage them but sat back and watched as some of the students did (which is very encouraging to see and hear since they are talking about something that at least matters instead of what Miley Cyrus did this week). I talked to some of the undergrads for a little bit (a couple of the preachers tried worming their way into the conversation but left very quickly when I didn't say things they couldn't twist into a semantics argument to claim victory) and I snagged myself this

Yes. That is the Ray Comfort ambush and edit DVD "Evolution vs. God" that another thread has already been started about. Score. Well, kind of. I want to watch it but I can already feel my blood pressure rising.

Hold on.

Campus.
As in a university?
As in a place for learning?

Who the fuck let Bible Bashers on the grounds of such a place?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
14-09-2013, 10:55 AM
Re: "Evolution is a lie" and the campus god-botherers
It's a public University, you can't stop them.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
14-09-2013, 11:09 AM
(14-09-2013 10:55 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  It's a public University, you can't stop them.

You're not thinking creatively enough...

[Image: tn_IMG_8471.JPG]

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
14-09-2013, 11:20 AM
Re: "Evolution is a lie" and the campus god-botherers
You can't legally* stop them.

—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post