Evolution, just a theory?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2014, 08:33 PM
Evolution, just a theory?
I was wondering if you guys could clear something up for me

To my understanding Evolution means:
The gradual change of biological life over long periods of time based on the rules of natural selection.

This seems like a very factual statement to me.

So is Science bending over backwards to religion (like it often tends too) by calling evolution a theory, or is there actually a theory part to it?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2014, 08:35 PM
RE: Evolution, just a theory?
(19-09-2014 08:33 PM)Aldiesel18 Wrote:  I was wondering if you guys could clear something up for me

The gradual change of biological life over long periods of time based on the rules of natural selection.

So is Science bending over backwards to religion (like it often tends too) by calling evolution a theory, or is there actually a theory part to it?

scientific theory
A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed through observation and experimentation.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
19-09-2014, 08:42 PM
(19-09-2014 08:35 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(19-09-2014 08:33 PM)Aldiesel18 Wrote:  I was wondering if you guys could clear something up for me

scientific theory
A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed through observation and experimentation.

So what makes something a law? This is where my confusion lies. Why not call the law of evolution since it has already been confirmed through repeatable observation and experimentation?
19-09-2014, 08:46 PM
(19-09-2014 08:42 PM)Aldiesel18 Wrote:  
(19-09-2014 08:35 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  scientific theory

So what makes something a law? This is where my confusion lies. Why not call the law of evolution since it has already been confirmed through repeatable observation and experimentation?

OMFG do you know of a little website called google?

Click Me

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
19-09-2014, 08:52 PM
(19-09-2014 08:46 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(19-09-2014 08:42 PM)Aldiesel18 Wrote:  So what makes something a law? This is where my confusion lies. Why not call the law of evolution since it has already been confirmed through repeatable observation and experimentation?

OMFG do you know of a little website called google?

Click Me

Calm down, no need to get angry. All I did was ask a question for some clarification. Its not that serious.
19-09-2014, 09:02 PM
(19-09-2014 08:52 PM)Aldiesel18 Wrote:  
(19-09-2014 08:46 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  OMFG do you know of a little website called google?

Click Me

Calm down, no need to get angry. All I did was ask a question for some clarification. Its not that serious.

No it's just being lazy. Go hit up google first then come ask questions.

19-09-2014, 09:08 PM
Yes! It's a fucking theory!

Live with it.

Dodgy

19-09-2014, 09:19 PM
(19-09-2014 08:52 PM)Aldiesel18 Wrote:  
(19-09-2014 08:46 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  OMFG do you know of a little website called google?

Click Me

You'll have to pardon the harsh replies. We get this stuff a lot, but usually it's people trolling. You seem genuinely curious. Although I will say that google is a great reference, lots of good places out there. That said, I'll try and explain it a little.

Scientific theory definition: A scientific theory is a well-substantiated explanation of some aspect of the natural world that is acquired through the scientific method and repeatedly tested and confirmed through observation and experimentation.

Law defined: A scientific law is a statement based on repeated experimental observations that describes some aspect of the universe. A scientific law always applies under the same conditions, and implies that there is a causal relationship involving its elements.

Difference: A scientific theory is an explanation of the natural world. A law is a statement that describes something in the universe, it would have to imply there is a working relationship within the things explained within it.

Examples:

Big bang - Scientific theory. It is a model and explanation that dives into explaining the expansion of the universe.

Hubble's law of Cosmic Expansion: Using distance and velocity, a causal relationship works to explain how expansion of the universe and movement of galaxies works.

Universal law of Gravitation: Using causal relationships between mass, force and distance from the mass, one can determine the gravitational force between objects. This is considered a law because it implies a causal relationship between the things that explain how something in the universe works.

Evolution - Scientific theory: Using various models and tested observations (common ancestors, dna, etc) it is a scientific theory that describes something in the natural world.

I hope that sort of clarifies. I tried not to dive too far into this and make this as simple, cut to the bone and basic and full of analogies as I could.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
[+] 4 users Like Logisch's post
19-09-2014, 09:20 PM

Here is a short paper I wrote on this subject, lot of good stuff in it, use whatever you wish.

The first reason why many in the general public doubt the theory of evolution is due to belief in a supernatural causal effect. If for example, one subscribes to one of the anthropocentric Abrahamic faiths, say for example Christianity, and then points to the Bible as argument from authority to explain the real world around us, and from whence we came, this prevents the believer from accepting empirical evidence of a scientific nature to explain life. Since religious belief requires faith, and faith is the belief in something without evidence, faith is a failed methodology in which to comprehend the inner workings of the world around us.

If a belief is based on insufficient evidence; than any further conclusion drawn from the belief will at best be of questionable value. This cannot point one to the path of truth. As a tool, as an epistemology, as a method of reasoning, as a process for knowing the world, faith cannot adjudicate between competing claims. The ONLY way to figure out which claims about the world are likely true, and which are likely false, is through reason and evidence. There is no other way….yet.

“Science is the antithesis of faith. Science is a process that contains multiple and redundant checks, balances, and safeguards against human bias and error. Science has a built in corrective mechanism..hypothesis testing...that weeds out false claims. Claims that come about as a result of a scientific process are held as tentatively true by scientists..unlike claims of faith that are held as eternally true with zero evidence. Related to this, claims that come about as a result of a scientific process are falsifiable, that is, there is a way to show the claims are false. This is not the case with faith claims. For example, there's no way to falsify the claim that the Norse god Loki was able to assume other forms.

Scientists try to prove claims false (falsification), unlike faith leaders who unequivocally state their faith claims are true. If a scientist can demonstrate that a popular scientific claim is false, he or she can become famous, get tenure, publish books, earn more money and become respected by her or his peers. If a preacher states that the claims of his faith tradition are false, he's excommunicated, defrocked or otherwise forced to abandon his position”(Boghossian 2013)...the stifling of growth and enlightenment basically.

Science is a method for advancing our understanding. It is process we can use to bring us closer to the truth, and to weed out false claims. Science thus is the best way we've currently found to explain and understand how the universe works. This doesn’t set well with those who clutch supernatural, extraordinary, and unprovable theological faith claims, and that is a problem as it not only impacts their ability to understand and accept basic scientific principles, but it actually creates a barrier to moving on to better methods of epistemology. The reason creationism is not taught in public school is because it lacks any evidence. There is a good reason evolution is taught in public school, it is because it has evidence.

A second reason why many in the general public doubt the theory of evolution is due to lack of education and understanding of scientific methods. The problem comes with the word theory, those unfamiliar with scientific terms think that theory is something, “not quite right”, a speculation, a guess, and very likely wrong.

“According to the Oxford English dictionary, a scientific theory is “a statement of what are held to be the general laws, principles, or causes of something known or observed.” (Coyne 2009) in science, a theory is much more than just a speculation about how things are: it is a well thought out group of propositions meant to explain facts about the real world.”

I believe it is due to lack of understanding of the plethora of empirical and scientific evidence proving evolution, as well as personal religious beliefs that prevents some from accepting it.

Works Cited

Boghossian, P. (2013) A manual for creating atheists. Durham: Pitchstone Publishing

Coyne, J. (2009) Why evolution is true. London: Penguin Books Ltd.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 2 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
19-09-2014, 09:24 PM

[+] 1 user Likes TheBear's post