Evolution, just a theory?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2014, 09:24 PM (This post was last modified: 19-09-2014 09:30 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Evolution, just a theory?
Evolution is a theory, creationism is not, it falls far short of the requirements to be a theory.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2014, 10:18 PM
Evolution is only a theory is an intellectually dishonest tactic often employed by creationists in order to exploit a common misconception of the meaning of the definition of scientific theory to allow them to insert a god of gaps argument. God of the gaps is a variation of the argument from ignorance fallacy.

Evolution is both a theory and an observed fact. Heritable traits within a population change over time. In the broadest sense this is the definition of evolution, and we know it happens because we have seen it happen time and time again. It is a fact. Furthermore we know natural selection, an important part of the theory of evolution, happens. We know natural selection is a fact because once again we have seen it happen again and again.

It is however true that our understanding of evolution is incomplete. We don’t understand all of the mechanics of evolution. This is why the theory is subject to modification as new evidence is introduced. It is into these holes in our understanding of evolution that creationists attempt to insert their god. These days that often takes the form of a designer. The argument usually goes science can’t prove how life got from point A to point B therefore the only way it could have happened is an intentional designer must have caused it. One flaw with this argument is we know other naturally occurring mechanism could have caused the change even if we don’t know exactly how it happened. God is not the only possibility.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Popeye's Pappy's post
19-09-2014, 10:25 PM
(19-09-2014 09:08 PM)DLJ Wrote:  Yes! It's a fucking theory!

Live with it.

Dodgy

Since I don't really spend enough time on this forum to know the regulars I'm curious if DLJ is sarcastic, troll, poe or ignorant fucktard?

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.

[Image: anigrey.gif]
19-09-2014, 10:32 PM
That's not a distinction that really matters. In practice what is called a "law" is a very specific mathematical relationship between two properties (be it statistical or causal). We call any explanation a "theory" and evaluate it on its predictive utility.

... this is my signature!
19-09-2014, 10:35 PM
(19-09-2014 10:25 PM)Popeyes Pappy Wrote:  

Live with it.

Dodgy

Since I don't really spend enough time on this forum to know the regulars I'm curious if DLJ is sarcastic, troll, poe or ignorant fucktard?

Do you think he would have so many likes and such a high reputation if he were a troll or ignorant fucktard?
(I'd say "and do you think he'd be on the forum admin team", but maybe you haven't checked what the username colours signify)

So yeah. I'd go with sarcasm.

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
19-09-2014, 10:43 PM

Live with it.

Dodgy

Answer D.

All of the above.

Tongue

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
19-09-2014, 10:49 PM (This post was last modified: 19-09-2014 10:56 PM by Aldiesel18.)
(19-09-2014 09:24 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Evolution is a theory, creationism is not, it falls far short of the requirements to be a theory.

Thanks for all the information guys Smile

I have worded my opening post very poorly. This thread was not meant as an evolution vs creationism thread

I"m an atheist and do not believe in any god or creationism of any kind and I'm a firm believer in evolution.

Sorry if my opening post insinuated something else, I promise I'm not trolling. I just worded my question and thoughts very poorly

The reason why I started this thread was because I came across this and needed some clarification because I thought I misunderstood it

"A law is used to describe an action under certain circumstances (Evolution is a law – it happens but the law doesn’t describe how). A theory describes how and why something happens (Evolution by natural selection, in which there are a host of descriptions for various mechanisms, describes the method in which evolution works)"

So natural selection is the theory that explains the law of evolution, but I never hear people refer to evolution as a law, its always theory. So I came here to ask for clarification to make sure that I understood the difference correctly Too bad I did a bad job at expressing what my actual question was.

Sorry for the misunderstanding guys lol and thank you for all the helpSmile
[+] 3 users Like Aldiesel18's post
20-09-2014, 05:40 AM

Live with it.

Dodgy

All of the above, and then some. Yes

Live with it. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
20-09-2014, 11:04 AM
(19-09-2014 08:33 PM)Aldiesel18 Wrote:  I was wondering if you guys could clear something up for me

To my understanding Evolution means:
The gradual change of biological life over long periods of time based on the rules of natural selection.

This seems like a very factual statement to me.

So is Science bending over backwards to religion (like it often tends too) by calling evolution a theory, or is there actually a theory part to it?

Theory has a different meaning in science than in other uses of the word. It means a hypothesis has been confirmed by evidence. A theory is never really prooved, since science is an inductive process. A theory is always open to falsification although as it matures and gathers more supporting evidence this becomes less and less likely. It is not just an arbitrary idea that someone came up with to explain something. That is what religions do.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
20-09-2014, 11:11 AM
(19-09-2014 10:49 PM)Aldiesel18 Wrote:  So natural selection is the theory that explains the law of evolution, but I never hear people refer to evolution as a law, its always theory.

Looks like you still need a bit of tweaking on definitions

Natural selection is the gradual process by which biological traits become either more or less common in a population as a function of the effect of inherited traits on the differential reproductive success of organisms interacting with their environment. It is a key mechanism of evolution.

Natural selection is just one of the mechanisms of evolution. It's not a theory
It's the Theory of Evolution as a whole that explains how populations change over time.

Natural variation occurs among the individuals of any population of organisms. Many of these differences do not affect survival, but some differences may improve the chances of survival of a particular individual. A rabbit that runs faster than others may be more likely to escape from predators, and algae that are more efficient at extracting energy from sunlight will grow faster.

As long as individuals of species can live long enough to reproduce, they possess the main ingredient for evolution, SURVIVAL. Each generation produces offspring that are slightly different than their parents. Those that survive to reproduce pass on those changes. Those that don't....don't.

Those small changes get passed down and can flourish into the population of the species as a whole. Over time, populations of a species do change.
A modern example of evolution at work is the stickleback fish

http://learn.genetics.utah.edu/content/s...ickleback/

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results