Evolution, just a theory?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-09-2014, 11:21 AM
RE: Evolution, just a theory?
The phenomenon of evolution had been known about before Darwin... But until Darwin and Wallace came along, nobody could explain it satisfactorily... The theory of evolution explains why we see a gradual increase in the complexity and variety of life.

A scientific theory is the explanation of a known phenomenon... It's not a guess or a hypothesis.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-09-2014, 08:20 AM
I think there are two problems that cause this whole "just a theory" argument.
  • When I was a kid, I remember being taught that you would come up with a hypothesis, and if it worked out, you could upgrade it to a theory, and once a theory stuck around long enough without being disproven, it would be upgraded to a law.
  • The common-usage of the word "theory" in English is different than the scientific usage.

Now, theories and laws don't actually work like that. I get the impression that a lot of people who simply don't know better see the word "theory" and just assume that this is just an idea that the scientists are currently kicking around. Mix in some "scientists just want to kill God" to upgrade to full-out dismissal.
Find all posts by this user
22-09-2014, 01:02 PM
(22-09-2014 08:20 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I think there are two problems that cause this whole "just a theory" argument.
  • When I was a kid, I remember being taught that you would come up with a hypothesis, and if it worked out, you could upgrade it to a theory, and once a theory stuck around long enough without being disproven, it would be upgraded to a law.
  • The common-usage of the word "theory" in English is different than the scientific usage.

Now, theories and laws don't actually work like that. I get the impression that a lot of people who simply don't know better see the word "theory" and just assume that this is just an idea that the scientists are currently kicking around. Mix in some "scientists just want to kill God" to upgrade to full-out dismissal.

The "scientific usage" itself only exists when we need to engage in such pedantic hypercorrection as this. Tedious, yes, but at least it defuses that particular idiotic talking point.

All ideas are just ideas, after all; some are simply more useful than others.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user