Evolution permits anything!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-02-2015, 04:15 PM
RE: Evolution permits anything!
(10-02-2015 04:12 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  Do you know why we can breath oxygen? Because we evolved to live out of water. Do you know why we have legs? To help traverse the land. Do you know why we have eyes? To help see things. Yes it's split and there are many branches like a tree but everything doesn't evolve in the same way. Creatures who live in the sea evolve and gain traits that help them in the sea. Giraffes have long necks because they evolved to be able to reach leaves in trees. Also of course it sounds legit. If we couldn't think, we wouldn't know killing someone was bad and we would just go around killing people.

Do you know why some people have religion???

Because, they didn't evolve and develop brains.....

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
10-02-2015, 04:34 PM
(10-02-2015 04:12 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(10-02-2015 03:43 PM)Rik Wrote:  If adjust to the environment means sculpting a gene pool that produces a single-cell organism into multiple gene pools that produce elephants, cockatiels, komodo lizards, oak trees, toadstools, bees, MRSA, and so on, OK.
OK, sounds legit.

Do you know why we can breath oxygen? Because we evolved to live out of water. Do you know why we have legs? To help traverse the land. Do you know why we have eyes? To help see things.
Organisms don't evolve to do anything. There is no purpose or direction.
Mutations occur and if they provide any reproductive advantage, they are likely to persist and become more numerous in the gene pool.
Quote:Yes it's split and there are many branches like a tree but everything doesn't evolve in the same way. Creatures who live in the sea evolve and gain traits that help them in the sea.
Or to leave the sea.
Quote:Giraffes have long necks because they evolved to be able to reach leaves in trees.
Longer necks on giraffes gave longer-necked giraffes a survival advantage over shorter-necked ones, so genes for longer necks persisted in the gene pool and genes for short necks did not because those were eliminated by being in giraffes that did not thrive and reproduce.
Quote: Also of course it sounds legit. If we couldn't think, we wouldn't know killing someone was bad and we would just go around killing people.

Genes for empathy and cooperation confer a survival advantage or they would disappear, as they have disappeared in Republicans. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Rik's post
13-02-2015, 12:42 AM
Tell him he's an idiot.
14-02-2015, 01:23 PM
What does morality have to do with evolution being true? Don't let him change the subject.
14-02-2015, 05:14 PM
I'm a father, a husband, a son, a brother etc. I can empathise with anyone who has lost a loved one and i wouldn't want to put anyone through that.

Also I know its not in me to rape or murder etc. I'm soft and I know it lol.

Morality aside. I want to spend my life with my family and loved ones. If i go murdering people I'm gonna spend my life in a prison cell.

I love my job, so I don't want a criminal record which will definitely impact my position.. And that job allows me to take care of the people around me. I'm not here for long, So i want to make the best of it.
15-02-2015, 04:24 PM
Actually it's Christianity that permits anything. Just accept Jesus as your lord and saviour and you can do whatever the fuck you want. JC got your back..
17-02-2015, 12:00 PM
(15-02-2015 04:24 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Actually it's Christianity that permits anything. Just accept Jesus as your lord and savior and you can do whatever the fuck you want. JC got your back..

This is exactly what needs to be stated. It's likely though that he'll say "No true Christian would do anything bad and then just repent" I've seen this in quite a few places where if anything a Christian does is bad, they're not true Christians, but if they do anything good, they're working for Christ! It's true though that Christianity essentially allows anything to be done as long as you, like you said, just accept Jesus as your lord and savior.
14-03-2015, 04:02 PM
(09-02-2015 11:14 AM)The Hidden Atheist Wrote:  I've recently encountered the argument of if evolution is true, then it makes anything permissible. Here is the exact thing this person said – “The moral consequences are horrifying” He went on to say that basically nothing matters if evolution is true, everything is allowed, life is meaningless, etc...

He is actually right. If evolution is true without divine intervention (which is impossible, but for arguments sake), then you can throw objective morality right out of the window, and if that is the case, then nothing really matters.

(09-02-2015 11:14 AM)The Hidden Atheist Wrote:  I went on to ask why those that accept evolutionary theory aren't out killing people and living meaningless, pointless lives.

Who knows, but if they WERE out killing people, it wouldn't matter.

(09-02-2015 11:14 AM)The Hidden Atheist Wrote:  Since he is a Christian, he “explained” that we all have a moral code on our heart, without demonstrating this of course... What I want to know is what could have I said?

He is speaking from the Biblical perspective of Romans 2:14-15, which states..

…"14 For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, 15in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them, 16on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus."

(09-02-2015 11:14 AM)The Hidden Atheist Wrote:  I feel like we just rambled on on a bunch of baseless stuff which lasted well over 40 minutes. I asked him what it would take for him to accept evolutionary theory

I am not him but I know what it will take for me...EVIDENCE.

(09-02-2015 11:14 AM)The Hidden Atheist Wrote:  , hoping that maybe I may provide some evidence that would lean him toward giving evolution another thought, but instead he said something rather interesting. Here's basically what he said “A couple things probably would go down, either I would use the rest of my life trying to prove it was wrong, or I would become psychotic.” I didn't know how the fuck I could have responded to this. Before this he said that his “experience” showed him that evolution will never be demonstrated to have happened.

What he said is true, evolution on a macro scale has never been demonstrated to have happened.

(09-02-2015 11:14 AM)The Hidden Atheist Wrote:  We fizzled out of the conversation, but I want your guy's opinion on this. Is it to late for him to actually reason?

Is it to late for you to accept Jesus as Lord and Savior?
14-03-2015, 06:04 PM
Evolution doesn't permit anything. It dictates everything. Evolution dictates that some male spiders will impale themselves on the fangs of their mate while copulating because it helped that particular species survive. Evolution dictates that some insects inject their eggs into a host that is then eaten alive because it helps those species survive. Evolution dictates that some species have inflatable torture device penises BECAUSE IT HELPS THAT SPECIES SURVIVE. Evolution also dictates that humans engage in social, cooperative and moral behaviors which allows them to overcome their lack of biological armaments and helps us to survive as well. Morality is a survival mechanism of social creatures. It's just that simple.

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
14-03-2015, 06:33 PM
(14-03-2015 04:02 PM)Call_of_the_Wild Wrote:  He is actually right. If evolution is true without divine intervention (which is impossible, but for arguments sake), then you can throw objective morality right out of the window, and if that is the case, then nothing really matters.

He is actually totally wrong.

There is no objective morality, and most especially NOT in the Bible.

Show us proof of “divine intervention” anywhere at anytime (and don’t go trying to slip the burden of proof, you’re making the claim).

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce