Evolution revisited

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-10-2013, 05:48 AM
Evolution revisited
My biology teacher is a christian but as our public exam covers evolution, he (reluctantly) teaches evolution. The first section of the chapter is Miller–Urey experiment, he said that Miller–Urey experiment on life's origin is inaccurate as the composition of gas used by Miller is not the same with the Earth's early atmosphere. Besides optical isomers of amino acids are formed. However only one of the optical isomers is used in living organisms nowadays and the other one is not found in living organism. This means that Miller–Urey experiment does not really show the origins of live.
Then, he said something about mold appears later in fossil records but is simpler than plants. Therefore evolution is (in his view) unreliable.
What should i say to him?

I got Dysgraphia and i am not living in the US so plz forgive my poor english.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-10-2013, 06:02 AM
RE: Evolution revisited
Tell him to take some college courses on basic biology with an emphasis on evolution so he can learn to be a better teacher

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 1 user Likes Rahn127's post
15-10-2013, 06:17 AM
According to him, unless I misunderstand, evolution claims all species of fungi and bacteria finished their divergence and only then did plants begin to appear in nature. And once all of the plant species evolved, then insects, fish, reptiles, amphibians, right up to mammals including humans.

Last I checked new species less complex than ourselves have been appearing here and there since our appearance on this planet. So I'm not sure what he's getting at with that last bit.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

15-10-2013, 06:26 AM
That the miller-Urey experiment is abiogenesis, not evolution? Evolution is about the diversity of life, not its origin.

Evolution as a process is visible in the evolution going on right now: the change of species over time in response to natural selection. We can see new genetic information in changes like the appearance of nylonaze. We can see speciation in things like ring species. We can see the history of evolution in phylogenetic trees, the trees that trace the relatedness of all species.

Phylogenetic trees are apparent in the distribution of species on the planet, from the fossil record, from the development of embryos, and most recently on genetic information. For example we can trace similarities between related genes for related species. A single tree says nothing about relatedness. Similarity might just be that: Similarity. It's the similarity between independent trees that demonstrates relatedness.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post
15-10-2013, 07:30 AM
Tell him to do the job that the state pays him to do and teach facts not opinions.

Drinking Beverage

[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post
15-10-2013, 07:32 AM
When he says evolution is unreliable ask him "and a book written by goat herders in the middle east 3,000 years ago is?".
Then throw in an ad hominem for effect.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 5 users Like earmuffs's post
15-10-2013, 07:46 AM
Perhaps remind him of Kitzmiller v Dover.
[+] 2 users Like devilsadvoc8's post
15-10-2013, 07:54 AM
Maybe point him to: http://www.amazon.com/Creation-Evolution...0825462924
Or: http://biologos.org
These both come at the evidence for evolution without departing from a Christian, theistic perspective.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
15-10-2013, 07:55 AM
Just point to the door and tell him to get out.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
15-10-2013, 08:07 AM
At least we can "learn" "evolution" without being burnt to crisps

I got Dysgraphia and i am not living in the US so plz forgive my poor english.