Evolution test #2

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2014, 09:31 PM
RE: Evolution test #2
(09-04-2014 08:04 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(09-04-2014 06:42 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Oh no! Not you PaleoKid! I was expecting you to get 15+

Oh I didn't take it. Again I could care less about darwin.

*couldn't. Smartass

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-04-2014, 09:36 AM
(09-04-2014 08:04 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  
(09-04-2014 06:42 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Oh no! Not you PaleoKid! I was expecting you to get 15+

Oh I didn't take it. Again I could care less about darwin.

What do you mean?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-04-2014, 11:13 AM
I got 20/20*.

*But I self-corrected the ones it said I got wrong, but actually got right. For example, I wrote commonalities, rather than similarities.

There were more like that. I don't remember the actual number right it gave me, but it's okay because I know mine were actually all right. Thumbsup I agree, the word choice was poor, and it wasn't always clear which word it wanted you to use, such as commonalities vs. similarities.

Don't stress if you only got a 10/20. It's a shitty test.

Find all posts by this user
10-04-2014, 11:42 AM (This post was last modified: 10-04-2014 12:21 PM by Raptor Jesus.)
(10-04-2014 11:13 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  I got 20/20*.

*But I self-corrected the ones it said I got wrong, but actually got right. For example, I wrote commonalities, rather than similarities.

There were more like that. I don't remember the actual number right it gave me, but it's okay because I know mine were actually all right. Thumbsup I agree, the word choice was poor, and it wasn't always clear which word it wanted you to use, such as commonalities vs. similarities.

Don't stress if you only got a 10/20. It's a shitty test.

I retook the test, and reentered the same answers I entered before so I could share my actual score, and critique the test by each question that bothered me.

Spoiler below, if you haven't taken the test yet...

I scored 10/10 on the true or false part. However, there were two questions I did not know, and only made an educated guess on based on the nature of the question and the test. They were...

4. The book Principles of Geology by Charles Lyell described how changes in land formations can cause species to evolve.
I don't know what this book is, or who this guy is. I may have read of this and him before, or maybe not. IDK. But I am aware of the concept of changes in land forms as drivers for divergent evolution, so I guessed that that's what it was, or else this question would have had no business here in this test.

5. In his “Essay on the Principle of Population,” Malthus said humans were the only population that could continue to grow in size indefinitely.
Again, don't know this "Essay" or this guy, but considering this is an evolution test I made an educated guess about which one it would be. And I got both questions right because of it.

7/10 for fill in the blank.
On one question I got a minus, because I misspelled the answer. I still give myself credit for it being correct because I was right. Though, depending on the professor, I don’t know that they would have accepted a misspelling.

14. The process by which organisms with traits well suited to an environment survive and reproduce at a greater rate than organisms less suited for that environment is called ____________________.
The answer was natural selection. I wrote "survival of the fittest", as that’s what I thought the question was going for. I still give myself credit for it though.

17. Homologous structures are similar because they originated in a shared ____________________.
18. ____________________ structures are similar because they originated in a shared ancestor.

I still got these two correct...how could you not? However, these two are bullshit and misleading because they are the same question, as you can see. I paused on it for a bit because I thought there had to be something I was missing. Ultimately I realized it was just a poorly constructed test, and I answered it appropriately.

19. Closely related species show more ____________________ in nucleotide sequences than distantly related species.
The answer was similarities. I wrote "commonalities". I’m still right, so I gave myself this point anyway.

10-04-2014, 12:13 PM
If nothing else it made me look up those two books and authors.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce