Evolution warning label in college

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2013, 02:09 PM (This post was last modified: 14-01-2013 02:13 PM by ghostexorcist.)
Evolution warning label in college
I started back to school today, and in my ATH 255 class on Biological Anthropology, my professor, a professional primatologist, put a warning label on the overhead projector explaining the course would discuss evolution. He does this because he knows that people who hold a creationist world view are sometimes forced to take his class (it fulfills the requirements of the anthropology major). He went on to tell any “closet creationists” in our class that he doesn't care if they don’t agree with the material, only that they are able to master it and pass the course. The professor also said that he hopes the information gained in the class will help them create new refutations of evolution because the past attempts of their coreligionists have been “really stupid.” He has tailored sections of the class around anti-evolution propaganda to show how modern evolutionary theory greatly differs from what creationists believe it is. This is going to be one interesting class!

I think it is sad that professors still have to warn people that evolution is going to be taught in a college level course. People should be able to figure out by college that the majority view is that evolution is true. If they disagree with it, they need to choose a career path that doesn't involve higher education. They might as well just go live in a cave.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 16 users Like ghostexorcist's post
14-01-2013, 02:30 PM
RE: Evolution warning label in college
(14-01-2013 02:09 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I started back to school today, and in my ATH 255 class on Biological Anthropology, my professor, a professional primatologist, put a warning label on the overhead projector explaining the course would discuss evolution. He does this because he knows that people who hold a creationist world view are sometimes forced to take his class (it fulfills the requirements of the anthropology major). He went on to tell any “closet creationists” in our class that he doesn't care if they don’t agree with the material, only that they are able to master it and pass the course. The professor also said that he hopes the information gained in the class will help them create new refutations of evolution because the past attempts of their coreligionists have been “really stupid.” He has tailored sections of the class around anti-evolution propaganda to show how modern evolutionary theory greatly differs from what creationists believe it is. This is going to be one interesting class!

I think it is sad that professors still have to warn people that evolution is going to be taught in a college level course. People should be able to figure out by college that the majority view is that evolution is true. If they disagree with it, they need to choose a career path that doesn't involve higher education. They might as well just go live in a cave.

It sounds like he has intelligently designed his approach. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 12 users Like Chas's post
14-01-2013, 02:37 PM
(14-01-2013 02:30 PM)Chas Wrote:  It sounds like he has intelligently designed his approach. Drinking Beverage

[Image: i+see+what+you+did+there+_d5597f17acded4...24d9e.jpeg]
14-01-2013, 02:37 PM
I like that professor.

I don't see that as an actual warning but more of a sarcastic one. Warning, if you are a "closet creationist", you are about to have your "really stupid" religious beliefs challenged by "irrefutable" evolution.

That's not sad; it's rather funny.

And no, people aren't going to figure out by college that the majority view is that evolution is true. I work with dozens of college graduates and most of them are religious. Just because a person is in college doesn't mean they automatically discard a lifetime of indoctrination. Religious belief certainly doesn't preclude all higher education career paths.

What is sad is that we still have that ridiculous and insidious indoctrination in the first place.

But you are right about one thing. It seems that if you believe man was created from dust 6,000 years ago, there seems little point in choosing a career in anthropology.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
Find all posts by this user
14-01-2013, 02:47 PM
(14-01-2013 02:37 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  I like that professor.

I don't see that as an actual warning but more of a sarcastic one. Warning, if you are a "closet creationist", you are about to have your "really stupid" religious beliefs challenged by "irrefutable" evolution.

That's not sad; it's rather funny.

And no, people aren't going to figure out by college that the majority view is that evolution is true. I work with dozens of college graduates and most of them are religious. Just because a person is in college doesn't mean they automatically discard a lifetime of indoctrination. Religious belief certainly doesn't preclude all higher education career paths.

What is sad is that we still have that ridiculous and insidious indoctrination in the first place.

But you are right about one thing. It seems that if you believe man was created from dust 6,000 years ago, there seems little point in choosing a career in anthropology.

That was my take. I like that kind of veiled sarcasm.

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

14-01-2013, 03:41 PM

[...]

I know people aren't going to give up religious beliefs just because they are in college--my university has a chapter of "campus crusaders for christ," for example--but they should realize (whether they agree with or not) that the truth of evolution is the majority view. After all, they learned it in high school, and now they are learning it in college. The reason I said they should choose a different career path is because they should know they are going to have to take at least one college science class that mentions evolution.

My professor said that several of the closet creationists that have been "outed" (by their friends) were planning to be cultural anthropologists. That seems silly to me because someone cannot be an effective observer if you can't set your personal biases aside. It reminds me of this comic strip:

[Image: 53876931642161179006690.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
14-01-2013, 03:44 PM
(14-01-2013 03:41 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  

[...]

I know people aren't going to give up religious beliefs just because they are in college--my university has a chapter of "campus crusaders for christ," for example--but they should realize (whether they agree with or not) that the truth of evolution is the majority view. After all, they learned it in high school, and now they are learning it in college. The reason I said they should choose a different career path is because they should know they are going to have to take at least one college science class that mentions evolution.

My professor said that several of the closet creationists that have been "outed" (by their friends) were planning to be cultural anthropologists. That seems silly to me because someone cannot be an effective observer if you can't set your personal biases aside. It reminds me of this comic strip:

[Image: 53876931642161179006690.jpg]

Of course not, but it might help sow the seeds of reason and if one can be reached...it's all good.

14-01-2013, 03:46 PM
I don't get how creationists can remain creationists after studying anthro as a major?

Cultural anthro, fine. But physical anthro is nothing but pure proof of evolution. Geez!

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
14-01-2013, 03:56 PM
(14-01-2013 03:46 PM)Dom Wrote:  I don't get how creationists can remain creationists after studying anthro as a major?

Cultural anthro, fine. But physical anthro is nothing but pure proof of evolution. Geez!

I know -- but they're also taught not to believe their teachers or everything they read --- I always found that last bit ironic.

14-01-2013, 04:09 PM
(14-01-2013 02:09 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I started back to school today, and in my ATH 255 class on Biological Anthropology, my professor, a professional primatologist, put a warning label on the overhead projector explaining the course would discuss evolution. He does this because he knows that people who hold a creationist world view are sometimes forced to take his class (it fulfills the requirements of the anthropology major). He went on to tell any “closet creationists” in our class that he doesn't care if they don’t agree with the material, only that they are able to master it and pass the course. The professor also said that he hopes the information gained in the class will help them create new refutations of evolution because the past attempts of their coreligionists have been “really stupid.” He has tailored sections of the class around anti-evolution propaganda to show how modern evolutionary theory greatly differs from what creationists believe it is. This is going to be one interesting class!

I had it the other way around. I had an instructor who, despite his Ph.D. in Biology and his wife being a doctor (he was instructing A & P) was still telling us that he didn't believe in evolution because evolution teaches that we come from nothing.

When the surveys came in I put "please check this instructor's credentials, he needs to go back to Biology I and II."

If you come out of those classes still saying what he did, you either didn't listen, or you didn't care what was being taught.

Jesus loves you, but the Devil gives you cool shit.
[+] 1 user Likes thewellkeptwoman's post