Evolution warning label in college

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2013, 04:23 PM
RE: Evolution warning label in college
(14-01-2013 04:09 PM)thewellkeptwoman Wrote:  I had it the other way around. I had an instructor who, despite his Ph.D. in Biology and his wife being a doctor (he was instructing A & P) was still telling us that he didn't believe in evolution because evolution teaches that we come from nothing.

When the surveys came in I put "please check this instructor's credentials, he needs to go back to Biology I and II."

If you come out of those classes still saying what he did, you either didn't listen, or you didn't care what was being taught.

Wow. That guy must have some major cognitive dissonance going on.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-01-2013, 04:55 PM
People really need to grow up, if your beliefs are fragile then don't go to a learning facility.

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Question's post
14-01-2013, 06:12 PM
(14-01-2013 02:37 PM)Aseptic Skeptic Wrote:  I like that professor.

I like him too. He had us write down some personal information on pieces of paper to get to know us better. One of the things he asked for was our favorite cartoon character. He said you never truly know someone's character until you know who their favorite cartoon character is. He supposedly had a huge crush on Daphne from Scooby Doo when he was young kid during the 70s.
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
24-01-2013, 09:11 PM
That is awesome that professor is just messing with them and they deserved to be messed with.
24-01-2013, 09:29 PM
(14-01-2013 02:09 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  I started back to school today, and in my ATH 255 class on Biological Anthropology, my professor, a professional primatologist, put a warning label on the overhead projector explaining the course would discuss evolution. He does this because he knows that people who hold a creationist world view are sometimes forced to take his class (it fulfills the requirements of the anthropology major). He went on to tell any “closet creationists” in our class that he doesn't care if they don’t agree with the material, only that they are able to master it and pass the course. The professor also said that he hopes the information gained in the class will help them create new refutations of evolution because the past attempts of their coreligionists have been “really stupid.” He has tailored sections of the class around anti-evolution propaganda to show how modern evolutionary theory greatly differs from what creationists believe it is. This is going to be one interesting class!

I think it is sad that professors still have to warn people that evolution is going to be taught in a college level course. People should be able to figure out by college that the majority view is that evolution is true. If they disagree with it, they need to choose a career path that doesn't involve higher education. They might as well just go live in a cave.
I couldn't agree more, brilliantly said. In all fairness I don't think all creationists are stupid, but I do think the smart ones are unwilling to embrace truth because the fear it will threaten the religion that they have been born into and hold so dear. When forced to learn evolution I hope some will be willing to begin to question their religious upbringing.

28-01-2013, 01:13 PM
I'm pretty sure there is at least one creationist in my class this semester. He hasn't come out and admitted it yet, but he always likes to throw out comments under his breath when the professor says something that he doesn't agree with. For instance, today we were going over basic information about genes, chromosomes, and cell division. While discussing the "cross over" effect where chromosomes of gametes sometimes mix during replication, my professor put up a picture on the overhead projector of John Edward. Some people didn't get the joke, so he had to explain John's show was called Crossing Over. Then, just for an added bonus for those who had never heard of him, the professor went on to explain how John could not really talk to the dead because he used cold and hot reading. That's when the creationist muttered: "My grandma can talk to dead people." The professor rolled his eyes and said: "Maybe she'll get her own show like John."
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
28-01-2013, 08:18 PM
(14-01-2013 02:09 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  He went on to tell any “closet creationists” in our class that he doesn't care if they don’t agree with the material, only that they are able to master it and pass the course.

Shit, that sounds like an excellent intro to any course. Wish my Chem 101 teachers had put that up, 'cause I dropped that shit 3x at University after I concluded "You fuckers are just making this shit up! You're not chemists, you're goddam alchemists!" ... 3 different times. Still don't trust them shifty bastards. Dodgy

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
29-01-2013, 01:15 AM
Nice.

I had a cultural anthro professor who made fun of creationists all the time, especially the idea that satan put dinosaur bones in the earth to confuse us. Actually he did intro to anthro and then cultural anthro, so he did teach a bit of physical anthro. There was some professor-rating website, and people would rate him poorly because he was not religious, and he was open about being an atheist. I found it hilarious, and he did, too, because he would print out the bad reviews and read them to us. A good time was had by all (well, maybe not the review-writers, but they don't count as people).
29-01-2013, 02:32 AM
That professor should get some kind of appreciation award for his efforts.

Give him an inscribed plaque to hang on a wall, buy him a beer, and shake the bastards hand.
That goes for both GE and Amyb.

Makes me wish I lived in a place where I could see those kinds of digs being given out.

A single action is worth more than the words it takes to describe it.
04-02-2013, 12:31 PM
Today, we were talking about intersexual competition (between males and females) and the type of "honest signaling" that takes place, such as brightly colored peacock feathers indicate a low parasite yield. Wanting to segue into an example, the professor asked a girl in the front: "Girls like a guy with a big fat ...?" All of the girls in the class started laughing. The girl was too nervious to say anything, so he answered: "Wallet, right?" Then he gave an example of a man who is willing to spend a lot of money on a first date because he wants to give the appearance of wealth. The discussion about wealth caused the professor to segue into rant about how much money men spend on engagement rings for woman. He asked all the ladies in the class: "What do you give a men in return for an engagement ring?" Everybody started laughing their asses off because I'm pretty sure they were thinking along the lines of this clip:

After telling us we needed to get our minds out of the gutter, he said that women should get men something comparable in price to the ring. He said that he wanted either an expensive stereo system or a sword. He suggested that all engaged men should get a sword to wear on their backs so women will know he is taken by another.

Later, the professor talked about how geographical barriers can cause speciation. He gave Ligers as an example of types of offspring that don't normally happen between related isolated groups (he referred to them as the "most magically awesome animal to ever live on the face of planet earth"). Then he started quoting lines about tigers from a Monty Python movie. This is the craziest professor I've ever had!
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post