Evolution - what's next?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-05-2014, 09:09 AM
Evolution - what's next?
So what do you think will have changed about humans in - let's say, 1000 years?

Not that far ahead in the scope of things, but probably enough generations to show some notable changes....

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-05-2014, 09:10 AM
RE: Evolution - what's next?
(02-05-2014 09:09 AM)Dom Wrote:  So what do you think will have changed about humans in - let's say, 1000 years?

Not that far ahead in the scope of things, but probably enough generations to show some notable changes....

That depends if we start augmenting ourselves.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
02-05-2014, 09:14 AM
(02-05-2014 09:10 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 09:09 AM)Dom Wrote:  So what do you think will have changed about humans in - let's say, 1000 years?

That depends if we start augmenting ourselves.

Assume we do then, assume anything you consider likely... it's just fantasy afterall.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
02-05-2014, 09:18 AM
(02-05-2014 09:14 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 09:10 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  That depends if we start augmenting ourselves.

Assume we do then, assume anything you consider likely... it's just fantasy afterall.

Humans-
Asexual reproduction
ability to walk both paths. (From "the path not taken")
reached Maximum theoretical data density
Ability to travel around the universe.
Completely repairable.
Cloud memories stored. (If you die, you can come back to life.)
Almost indestructible.

[+] 2 users Like Alex_Leonardo's post
02-05-2014, 09:21 AM
You're assuming that humans will change at all.

Humans manipulate the environment to suit themselves, rather than the environment manipulating the organism. Our environments will effectively be static.

And if we learned anything from, say, fish that have been living since prehistoric times until now, who hardly changed at all because their environment has been relatively constant for tens of millions of years - evolution is dead.

Natural evolution anyway. Why knows about genetic engineering.
[+] 2 users Like PoolBoyG's post
02-05-2014, 09:23 AM
I was thinking of this while I watched the Inner Fish series on PBS. what's after us on the evolutionary tree?

not in a 1000 yrs, but I think we will become leaner and lankier. I don't think the chubby US lifestyle will survive the coming wars and planet climate change.

I also think our hearing capability will change for the worse.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
02-05-2014, 09:26 AM
(02-05-2014 09:18 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 09:14 AM)Dom Wrote:  Assume we do then, assume anything you consider likely... it's just fantasy afterall.

Humans-
Asexual reproduction
ability to walk both paths. (From "the path not taken")
reached Maximum theoretical data density
Ability to travel around the universe.
Completely repairable.
Cloud memories stored. (If you die, you can come back to life.)
Almost indestructible.

Also, the ability to look into the past by going faster than light. (Intercepting old light, so they could see the past.)

[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
02-05-2014, 09:26 AM
Consider Good question.

I think within the next 1000 years we might have enough figured out about DNA/RNA to at least extend a good-quality-of-life another 50 years.

I'm not certain that will be a good thing or a bad thing... by that time, it will just be a thing. I mean, we don't often marvel that life expectancy 2000 years ago was roughly half what it is now. Stuff just kind of blends... we might not even notice some things that quite drastically change over 1000 years. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
02-05-2014, 09:29 AM
(02-05-2014 09:26 AM)kim Wrote:  Consider Good question.

I think within the next 1000 years we might have enough figured out about DNA/RNA to at least extend a good-quality-of-life another 50 years.

I'm not certain that will be a good thing or a bad thing... by that time, it will just be a thing. I mean, we don't often marvel that life expectancy 2000 years ago was roughly half what it is now. Stuff just kind of blends... we might not even notice some things that quite drastically change over 1000 years. Shy

Nah, They'll extend life expectancy over infinity years.

02-05-2014, 10:17 AM
(02-05-2014 09:29 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 09:26 AM)kim Wrote:  Consider Good question.

Nah, They'll extend life expectancy over infinity years.

Well, if they do that and still reproduce, they better find some liveable planets first...