Evolution - what's next?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2014, 09:02 PM
RE: Evolution - what's next?
(04-05-2014 08:54 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(02-05-2014 09:09 AM)Dom Wrote:  So what do you think will have changed about humans in - let's say, 1000 years?

Not that far ahead in the scope of things, but probably enough generations to show some notable changes....
From an evolutionary perspective (maybe a 1,000 years is too short), I would expect humans over time to become more and more dependent on medicine. As we keep our poor mutations alive and replicating then our species will accumulatively become less and less fit for survival in our environment.
Though, as technology and our understanding of the genome progress, may it be possible that we become much more fit for survival, albeit through aritificial means?

A person very dear to me was badly hurt through a misunderstanding and miscommunication. For this, I am sorry, and he knows it. That said, any blaming me for malicious intent is for the birds. I will not wear some scarlet letter, I will not be anybody's whipping girl, and I will not lurk in silence.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Charis's post
04-05-2014, 09:04 PM
(04-05-2014 06:15 PM)Michael_Tadlock Wrote:  If you all want to take a walk down fear and paranoia lane with me...

Eventually the worlds oil supplies will be almost complete exhausted. In the absence of viable energy sources to power mega agriculture and things like trans ocean freighters for global trade, war will erupt over the remaining oil reserves. Those who do without will be looking at mass starvation and trade isolation, plummeting the worlds population and making peoples in most parts of the world entirely dependent on local agriculture without the use of petroleum fertilizers or pesticides.

For the most powerful nations, control over the remaining oil will be paramount to survival. There won't be enough to share, so the stakes will be winner takes all with millions of lives and world power hanging in the balance. Perhaps immediately given the onset of war, or as a desperate resort of last measure, one side or another will resort to nuclear weapons prompting "mutually assured destruction" and a nuclear winter. The majority of the worlds species will go extinct immediately. In some pockets on earth human beings may be able to scratch out a existence. If enough keystone species go extinct human beings will likewise go extinct, or human populations might be allowed to slowly recover, pushing back human progress two thousand years and leaving the worlds ecosystem devastated and most natural resources depleted.

So my vote goes for 'extinct'.

Genetically, I don't think we will change much. We might evolve to be less passive and more sexually virulent, as crime and propensity to use birth control are the only impeding factors on human beings current reproduction.

There are all sorts of other energy sources now known besides oil. Solar, wind and wave energy will replace oil. and sooner or later someone will harness atomic power much more efficiently and safely. Buck up.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
04-05-2014, 09:41 PM (This post was last modified: 04-05-2014 09:48 PM by sporehux.)
(04-05-2014 08:39 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  The answer we won't. Sure our tech will get better but humans will not evolve. We are ecologically fit in our environments. We are used to a easy catch easy food warm home life style. Day that ends we will be doomed. It reminds me of another ape the meet the same problem. I think it was P.boisei that also was ecologically fit. So we will not evolve that's what is next.

We won't evolve in the natural sense of the word, but look at what we did with dogs over a few hundred years without understanding genetics.

It will snowball after the first GM babies are born, prob China: probably need 5 thousands years though to see a huge departure from current primate type.
(i read too much SCI-FI)

But if we can transplant faces/hands and body organs now, in the future we should be able to transplant brain and spinal cords into other bodies:

Going on a trip to the moon, jack into a radiation proof vacuum resistant bio tech body, get fitted in the departure lounge of the space port.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
04-05-2014, 09:43 PM
By then (if we don't screw everything up, first) I think we'll have colonized other solar bodies. There's already a good bit of diversity in the way of appearance, right here on Earth. Even if we augment ourselves with machinery, we'll still have to take into account the gravitational pull of the planet we happen to be on. A machine built to work on Mars might not perform as efficiently in Earth's gravity.

I just want to know how long it will take for us to split into horses and donkeys. Hule: a human mule Tongue And how long it will take the Wookie-Humans from Earth to get fed up with the Ewok-Humans on Pluto, and declare war [Image: smiley-sw018.gif]

[+] 1 user Likes TheGulegon's post
05-05-2014, 08:20 AM
(04-05-2014 09:41 PM)sporehux Wrote:  
(04-05-2014 08:39 PM)ThePaleolithicFreethinker Wrote:  The answer we won't. Sure our tech will get better but humans will not evolve. We are ecologically fit in our environments. We are used to a easy catch easy food warm home life style. Day that ends we will be doomed. It reminds me of another ape the meet the same problem. I think it was P.boisei that also was ecologically fit. So we will not evolve that's what is next.

We won't evolve in the natural sense of the word, but look at what we did with dogs over a few hundred years without understanding genetics.

It will snowball after the first GM babies are born, prob China: probably need 5 thousands years though to see a huge departure from current primate type.
(i read too much SCI-FI)

But if we can transplant faces/hands and body organs now, in the future we should be able to transplant brain and spinal cords into other bodies:

Going on a trip to the moon, jack into a radiation proof vacuum resistant bio tech body, get fitted in the departure lounge of the space port.

In many cases, Sci-Fi becomes Sci-Fact, for what that's worth. Still waiting on my jetpack though...

05-05-2014, 08:24 AM
(05-05-2014 08:20 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(04-05-2014 09:41 PM)sporehux Wrote:  We won't evolve in the natural sense of the word, but look at what we did with dogs over a few hundred years without understanding genetics.

(i read too much SCI-FI)

In many cases, Sci-Fi becomes Sci-Fact, for what that's worth. Still waiting on my jetpack though...

We invented a jetpack decades ago. (I'm serious.) They're just to dangerous and also risky for public use.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
05-05-2014, 08:44 AM
(05-05-2014 08:24 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  
(05-05-2014 08:20 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  In many cases, Sci-Fi becomes Sci-Fact, for what that's worth. Still waiting on my jetpack though...

We invented a jetpack decades ago. (I'm serious.) They're just to dangerous and also risky for public use.

I know that they exist, but I am waiting on mine. Everyone knows in the future we are all supposed to have one for personal transport to and from work and leisurely pursuits. As it stands jetpacks are extremely expensive, extremely hard to train for, and only last a few seconds before you need to land a refuel.

I'm still waiting on my jetpack.

05-05-2014, 08:48 AM
(05-05-2014 08:44 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(05-05-2014 08:24 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  We invented a jetpack decades ago. (I'm serious.) They're just to dangerous and also risky for public use.

I know that they exist, but I am waiting on mine. Everyone knows in the future we are all supposed to have one for personal transport to and from work and leisurely pursuits. As it stands jetpacks are extremely expensive, extremely hard to train for, and only last a few seconds before you need to land a refuel.

Probably you'll be riding a drone...

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
05-05-2014, 02:10 PM
We'll still wear clothing that have different styles over the centuries. And I predict we'll still wear socks.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
05-05-2014, 06:38 PM
(05-05-2014 08:48 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(05-05-2014 08:44 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I know that they exist, but I am waiting on mine. Everyone knows in the future we are all supposed to have one for personal transport to and from work and leisurely pursuits. As it stands jetpacks are extremely expensive, extremely hard to train for, and only last a few seconds before you need to land a refuel.

Probably you'll be riding a drone...

Drones are by definition unmanned.