Evolution with God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2013, 04:15 AM

RE: Evolution with God?
(04-02-2013 03:23 AM)Vera Wrote:  
(04-02-2013 12:33 AM)Egor Wrote:  Money matters: If you have it and you believe in something, then you should give to that cause. Otherwise you have nothing to say. Where your treasure is, there your heart is as well. If you're so broke you can't spare a dollar to support your cause, how can you get on the internet to begin with?

Stop being so cheap.
Um, are you colour-blind on top of everything else?!

(Also, atheism is not my cause. While I've helped the site, I prefer to regularly donate to you know, refugees, people affected by disasters, the starving - all those punishments for their sins that our loving father has deemed fit to unleash upon them. Vicious little buggers, just look at them. Evil incarnate. Wait, no. That's your non-existent god.)
[Image: starving-children-africa.jpg]

So youre mad at the God you dont believe in because of all the evil in the world--or at least what you have determined to be evil from the chaotic mutation of flesh you have evolved into. If there is no God by what mechanism do you determine what is good or bad?
Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2013, 04:23 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 04:28 AM by Free Thought.)
(04-02-2013 04:09 AM)Egor Wrote:  Yeah then he can cut an paste pointless drivel for you too
I'm already taking a biology course anyway. I doubt that cell composition will half as interesting as the macromolecules I'll be learning about in the next few weeks, but it would be certainly a good extra to have under my belt.

It is hardly anybodies fault if you failed high school biology which obviously culminated in considering cellular formation and genetics as "pointless drivel".

It is my suspicion that you simply call it that because you've not articulate response to his or my own response to your utter failure regarding an understanding of evolution. If you did have one, you would not have skipped over and simply gone to an "easy mark".

And hell, never hurts to have a tutor to help with during the school years.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2013, 04:32 AM

Im so sick of atheist tards calling me stupid. Its drivel because its a cut and paste that is not to the point i was making before it. "Scientific- sounding" fools the wannabe educated like you but not this theist. Good luck in your first science class.
04-02-2013, 04:34 AM
(04-02-2013 04:15 AM)Egor Wrote:  So youre mad at the God you dont believe in because of all the evil in the world--or at least what you have determined to be evil from the chaotic mutation of flesh you have evolved into.

Sarcasm. You'd probably know what it means, if you'd bothered to open something other than the bibble.

Quote:If there is no God by what mechanism do you determine what is good or bad?

That most inane of "arguments" has been dealt with more times than I can count. You go ahead and base your "morals" (and no, they can't really be called that) on a book of badly written vicious fiction. Decent human beings do not need a millennia-old system of carrots and sticks in order to be good.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
04-02-2013, 04:38 AM

How does a human become "decent"? How do you determine what is decent? Did you evolve into being so incredibly decent?
04-02-2013, 04:42 AM
(04-02-2013 04:32 AM)Egor Wrote:  Im so sick of atheist tards calling me stupid. Its drivel because its a cut and paste that is not to the point i was making before it. "Scientific- sounding" fools the wannabe educated like you but not this theist. Good luck in your first science class.
"Im so sick of atheist tards"? Huh. English is a bitch, is it not? I've heard tale it was tough to master as a second language...

It's hardly my first science class. I've been in science classes each year of my high school 'career'. I never did enjoy the physics portions though. Never could memorise the equations.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
04-02-2013, 04:59 AM

You're in high school? You're an adolescent? Jesus, it's like listening to Avril Lavigne tell me what life is like. You're still a sheep following whoever last impressed you. You don't even have a mind yet.
04-02-2013, 05:09 AM
(03-02-2013 10:07 PM)Egor Wrote:  a) Coward. You made a declarative statement that God was imaginary. I asked how you know? Now you're backing down. Typical atheist.

You said you knew something to be a fact. Now you back down. You're the only one looking silly. Typical "loser" atheist.

b) Nope. It is a worse sin to reject Christ than to be a rapist and/or murderer. You can be forgiven for those crimes by God, but you will not be forgiven for rejecting Christ. You do not go to hell for bad deeds, and you do not go to heaven for good deeds. You go to one or the other based on whether you choose to do the will of God and become Christ or choose to fail God and reject Christ.
a) You're thinking of Rahn, he was the one who originally said your god is imaginary. What I myself said was that until you provide evidence for your claims that your god exists I will consider him purely a concoction of your mind.

Just as I will consider Harry Potter a concoction of JK Rowling's mind, or Frodo Baggins a concoction of J.R.R Tolkien's.

b) In that case I reject your sense of morality. It is diseased and barbaric to me.
(04-02-2013 12:38 AM)Egor Wrote:  If it flops, that's God's decision. But there will be products eventually. Books, a seminary, t-shirts, coffee cups, whatever, and they will all be sold in the bookstore. And if one day I am filthy rich, do you know what that will mean? It will mean Veridicanism and the spread of the true Gospel of Christ has reached an awful lot of people.

But you don't have to worry about that--cuz youz an atheist, huh?. You're a lost cause, a reeeeeal Munson. You are headed straight for hell and you don't even care. God has shown you everything all your life and you've spit right in his face, isn't that so? Dodgy
You mean your god might decide we are better off as atheists than Veridicans? Thought you said he wanted us to mirror him or whatever it was?

Maybe you should just give up on it now.

You're right that atheists don't care about hell, since as far as we are concerned it doesn't exist. Just contemplate for a moment the effect it would have on you if someone threatened you with "after you die you'll go to the Greek underworld". Would that worry you?

Incidentally, God has never shown me anything. Ever. Perhaps he's impotent.
(04-02-2013 01:20 AM)Egor Wrote:  It's the continuum that is the problem. If an ape gave birth to a modern human, that would at least allow for the improvements. The problem with gradual evolutionary change is you have a kidney developing over--forever--until one day it becomes functional as a kidney. Before then, it was just useless mutations for no reason at all. I don't accept those odds.
So now the kidney is irreducibly complex? Here we go again. No, the kidney did not suddenly become a kidney. Before it was a kidney, it would have had some other function. Perhaps a less efficient kidney, perhaps something else entirely. And before that, it would have had another function. And another. That is how evolution occurs, it is not a case of a load of useless stuff suddenly becoming useful. It is a case of things that are already there being developed into new things that either have a better or a more efficient function that their predecessors.

Who wants to bet that Egor brings out the bacterial flagellum next?

(04-02-2013 04:15 AM)Egor Wrote:  So youre mad at the God you dont believe in because of all the evil in the world--or at least what you have determined to be evil from the chaotic mutation of flesh you have evolved into. If there is no God by what mechanism do you determine what is good or bad?
I called it! Ah objective morality. Egor, human morality is not objective. It is subjective. That is why most of us think your whole "better to be an evil believer" thing is sickening.

Everyone on the planet has varying differences in their view on morality. No two views on the subject are alike, there are too many grey areas.

Even if objective morality existed, how can you prove that your idea of what it is is any better than anyone elses? How would you even recognise an objective moral if you saw one? Bear in mind also that if morality was decided by your god, then it is not objective. It is your god's subjective morality imposed upon you.

(04-02-2013 04:38 AM)Egor Wrote:  How does a human become "decent"? How do you determine what is decent? Did you evolve into being so incredibly decent?
We use our subjective opinions on what morality is to decide what we think of as decent, and make our judgements based on that. Just as you do. Evolution may have had a hand in developing a general consensus on morality, but since so many people disagree on the subject there certainly isn't any kind of morality that is inbuilt into us as a species.

But on a cosmic scale morality means fuck all. The universe doesn't care what you do.
04-02-2013, 05:17 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 05:21 AM by Free Thought.)
(04-02-2013 04:59 AM)Egor Wrote:  You're in high school? You're an adolescent? Jesus, it's like listening to Avril Lavigne tell me what life is like. You're still a sheep following whoever last impressed you. You don't even have a mind yet.

Nope, I've had a mind as long as my brain began functioning, there is no real disconnect.

I've not been truly impressed in quite a long time, I may find things or people interesting and worth my attention, but rarely impressive... Well, I suppose I have been impressed by the stupidity I have seen in my time, not much cause to have faith in the continuation of our species, I tell you.

I'd find your apparent discounting me due to my age insulting, if it were not so amusing. I mean, I'll probably have a better understanding of evolution at 18 that you do at.... however many years old you are. Then again, I also tend to find senility amusing, so hey, maybe it'll balance out.

As seemingly retarded as the rest of my generation would appear, I advise you to not take myself and my cohorts too lightly, underestimating your opponents is a move only an arrogant man will play.

I don't know who this Avril Lavigne is, but it sounds horrible and disappointing.

04-02-2013, 05:48 AM
(04-02-2013 04:38 AM)Egor Wrote:  How does a human become "decent"? How do you determine what is decent? Did you evolve into being so incredibly decent?
I take my cue from th books of Astrid Lindgren. Much much better written than that bible-drivel. Also more interesting and with infinitely better morals. At least she doesn't approve of rape and the torture of animals.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."