Evolution with God?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2013, 10:18 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 10:22 AM by Vosur.)
RE: Evolution with God?
(04-02-2013 04:15 AM)Egor Wrote:  If there is no God by what mechanism do you determine what is good or bad?
I absolutely love this question, because it shows just how simple-minded the one who asks it really is.

Have you never heard of the Golden Rule? What about altruism? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
04-02-2013, 10:26 AM
(04-02-2013 04:15 AM)Egor Wrote:  So youre mad at the God you dont believe in because of all the evil in the world--or at least what you have determined to be evil from the chaotic mutation of flesh you have evolved into.

I'm not mad at a non-existent god.
I am not a chaotic mutation of flesh, I am an evolutionarily evolved animal. As are you. You just seem to be less evolved.

Egor Wrote:If there is no God by what mechanism do you determine what is good or bad?

By the same mechanism that theists use to pick and choose what is good or bad in their holy texts. Eat any shellfish lately?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
04-02-2013, 11:57 AM
(04-02-2013 08:50 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-02-2013 08:48 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Sorry, just saw this.

Absolutely, I do.

The reason is because he's granted me faith to believe in Him. Faith is a gift from God only given to His elect. This is why we can believe.

Faith fills the gaps of empirical evidence which leads to belief.

Faith fills the gap with nonsense.

Why do you feel the gaps need to be filled? What is it about "I don't know" that scares you?
Because this is what I believe, and I can't shake that belief. This is why I know faith has been given to me.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
04-02-2013, 12:06 PM
(04-02-2013 04:15 AM)Egor Wrote:  If there is no God by what mechanism do you determine what is good or bad?

Are you saying you can't figure out all by yourself that murder is a bad thing? Dang. Undecided

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
04-02-2013, 12:06 PM
Egor Wrote:If there is no God by what mechanism do you determine what is good or bad?

Your view of god comes from your morals, not the other way around. Why else would you create another denomination? God waited until now to show himself? not likely, this always happens, hence why there are over 30,000 christian denominations. Everyone has their own interpretation of how god is because they shape god with their morals. This is why the bible is interpreted in so many different ways. Most of us think of slavery as morally wrong, so christianity comes up with reasons to ignore those parts of the bible.

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

[+] 1 user Likes Adenosis's post
04-02-2013, 01:30 PM
(04-02-2013 11:57 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(04-02-2013 08:50 AM)Chas Wrote:  Faith fills the gap with nonsense.

Why do you feel the gaps need to be filled? What is it about "I don't know" that scares you?
Because this is what I believe, and I can't shake that belief. This is why I know faith has been given to me.

Your second statement does not actually follow from the first, it is not a valid syllogism.

Maybe "This is why I know believe/conclude/assume/feel faith has been given to me" would be more honest or accurate.
Because you certainly do not know it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-02-2013, 01:35 PM
(04-02-2013 11:57 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Because this is what I believe, and I can't shake that belief. This is why I know faith has been given to me.
So you were raised Christian, correct?

2.5 billion seconds total
1.67 billion seconds conscious

04-02-2013, 01:49 PM
(04-02-2013 01:30 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-02-2013 11:57 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Because this is what I believe, and I can't shake that belief. This is why I know faith has been given to me.

Your second statement does not actually follow from the first, it is not a valid syllogism.

Maybe "This is why I know believe/conclude/assume/feel faith has been given to me" would be more honest or accurate.
Because you certainly do not know it.
I think this is connected to the point KC and I were debating with regards to the faith portion of the belief of evolution being a guided process with supernatural influences. I'm not sure if the issue is really that he thinks he has absolute knowledge of it, or that the casual use of language lends itself to making these types of vernacular mistakes.

By definition, faith is something that lends itself to having to have faith in. I had not really thought about that until I read that post, but faith is circular reasoning on top of being a belief without (or in spite of) evidence. Faith means believing it based on faith, but also means believing on faith that faith exists and/or is a good/correct way of living in reality.

I guess faith is even more irrational than I had previously considered... Consider

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
04-02-2013, 01:52 PM
Yeah, I have stated many times that I don't have any absolute knowledge. It was just casual language. It wasn't meant to be dissected.

I strongly believe; however, I do not know.

And, yes I was.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
04-02-2013, 02:05 PM

(04-02-2013 05:17 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  I'd find your apparent discounting me due to my age insulting, if it were not so amusing.

So what? Go to your room.

Quote:I mean, I'll probably have a better understanding of evolution at 18 that you do at.... however many years old you are.

Quote:Then again, I also tend to find senility amusing, so hey, maybe it'll balance out.

At least now I understand why you seem so shallow in your knowledge. At least now I know you're not an idiot--you're just young.

Quote:As seemingly retarded as the rest of my generation would appear, I advise you to not take myself and my cohorts too lightly, underestimating your opponents is a move only an arrogant man will play.

Now that is a statement with wisdom beyond your years. Because your generation terrifies me. As free as you all think you are--I watched what happened to the hippies. Today you smoke weed just the same, but you have x-box and Playstation. You will become whatever the real forces of the world make you become. You have no fight in you, but you will eventually lead the way--and that's a recipie for disaster.

So, I don't underestimate you.

Quote:I don't know who this Avril Lavigne is, but it sounds horrible and disappointing.

Listen and learn:

Quote this message in a reply