Evolutionary history of martial arts

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2013, 03:44 PM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2013 03:48 PM by ghostexorcist.)
RE: Evolutionary history of martial arts
(21-12-2012 04:06 PM)Arctic_Guy Wrote:  I have to say, now we're on a subject that is close to my heart Evil_monster

I personally don't practice any martial arts (at the moment at least), but I have always been fascinated by them and war history. I'll look forward to this with great interest. Thumbsup

I’ve practiced various styles of eastern and western martial arts over the years, but I am by no means a master of any of them. I’m not being modest either; I haven’t practiced any of them long enough to become proficient. My Achilles heel in practicing is moving to a new place. I practiced Taekwondo as a kid in the north, but I had to move to the south. In the south, I practiced boxing and a little Tiger Claw in high school, but I joined the military after graduation. I didn’t practice any while I was serving because there were no good places close to my barracks. And contrary to popular belief, hand-to-hand combat is not a huge priority for the US Army. I started Filipino boxing and knife and stick fighting last year, but school kept me from going, and a recent move put me 45 minutes from my dojo. Now school (and the price of gas) is going to keep me from doing it again. I know they occasionally teach Brazilian Jujitsu at the school rec center, so I might check that out since I live so close.

Thanks for your interest. I actually oversimplified the martial skills of our chimp cousins. They don’t really “box,” it’s more of a slap. They mainly fight by slapping and, especially, biting. They go for the fingers, toes, and testicles, mainly. Those three targets obviously would hinder an individual from surviving long enough to pass on their genes to the next generation. If our last common ancestor fought this way, the human lineage eventually had to transition to a different mode of fighting. Biting was no longer a viable offense as we lost our huge canines and powerful jaws. This is why we most likely switched to boxing and weapons as are main modes of offense. Chimp hands are essentially powerful hooks that are designed for grasping thick tree limbs. Their wrists do not bend backwards because this would hinder their locomotion through the trees, as well as make “knuckle walking” impossible. We no longer needed to walk on all fours after we left the trees and switched to bipedal locomotion. This freed our hands for fighting and carrying tools. Our wrists obviously bend backwards, so a punch is the only way to deliver a powerful hit with a taut wrist. This new flexibility in our wrists also made us vulnerable to joint locks, a staple of wrestling.

(21-12-2012 04:13 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  For a second I thought "I'd like to fight a chimp", but then I realized "I really don't wanna fight a chimp..." Even Brock Lesnar would be hopeless against one of those things.

I think it’s a wise choice not to fight with one. As I’ve pointed out in a different thread, an experiment in 1926 showed a captive male chimp was able to single arm pull 900 lbs! I’m sure a feral chimp would be even stronger since they are use to climbing more. A trained person like Lesnar might be able to get a few punches in, but I have a feeling it would only piss the chimp off. They have very robust skeletons and they regularly take slaps from other chimps. Therefore, a chimp would literally tear Lesnar to pieces.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
03-01-2013, 04:27 PM
(03-01-2013 03:44 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  Thanks for your interest. I actually oversimplified the martial skills of our chimp cousins. They don’t really “box,” it’s more of a slap. They mainly fight by slapping and, especially, biting.

Here are some examples:

This one actually has a fair amount of actual punching, but many slaps are involved:

They drum on tree buttresses to produce noise that can be heard throughout the forest. Primatologists who have tried cannot even make the tiniest noise. That just shows how powerful their slaps are. I unfortunately can't find a good video of such a display.
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
03-01-2013, 04:29 PM
I don't know if you've heard of it, but there was an incident a few years ago in which a woman made a frantic call to the authorities from her car while her friend was being attacked by a domesticated chimp. There's a point in the 911 recording when the operator tells her to "lock the doors in her car" and she tells him "It doesn't matter; he'd rip the door right off". It gave me chills.
(Disturbing thought the song itself may be, it's actually kind of intriguing to listen to. ...To me, anyway.) Rolleyes

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
03-01-2013, 05:13 PM
(03-01-2013 04:29 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I don't know if you've heard of it, but there was an incident a few years ago in which a woman made a frantic call to the authorities from her car while her friend was being attacked by a domesticated chimp. There's a point in the 911 recording when the operator tells her to "lock the doors in her car" and she tells him "It doesn't matter; he'd rip the door right off". It gave me chills.
(Disturbing thought the song itself may be, it's actually kind of intriguing to listen to. ...To me, anyway.) Rolleyes

[...]

I remember when that happened. It was Travis the chimp, a former animal actor in commercials, that mauled his keeper's friend. I just listened to the full audio on a CBS youtube video. He probably could have gotten through the door. The thing with chimps is that they do not realize just how strong they are. If they were anymore intelligent than what they are, they would be an even greater threat. They don't ever use their strength to its full potential. Humans became weaker the smarter we got. One scientist suggests part of the reason why chimps are so strong is because they have less gray matter in their spinal cords, which means they can activate larger muscle groups at once since they have less muscle neurons.
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
03-01-2013, 05:17 PM
Utterly terrifying. No

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Epic Rap Battles of History: Bill Nye and Neil DeGrasse Tyson rampant.a.i. 4 208 19-06-2014 11:40 AM
Last Post: Drunkin Druid
  Raptor Jesus History djkamilo 3 122 07-01-2014 11:36 AM
Last Post: djkamilo
  The History Forums Unbeliever 6 808 11-08-2013 07:28 PM
Last Post: TheGulegon
  Bad Evolutionary Theory Contest Full Circle 2 431 20-04-2013 06:54 AM
Last Post: Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver
  The Most Ironic 10 Seconds In Christian History onedream 3 284 17-04-2013 02:30 PM
Last Post: FVoltmer
  Watching the Bible on the History Channel Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver 2 244 13-03-2013 11:27 PM
Last Post: Buddy Christ
  History made awesome. kingschosen 3 278 26-09-2012 09:26 AM
Last Post: Erxomai