Evolutionary reasons for universal dreams?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-11-2012, 08:56 PM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2012 09:01 PM by PoolBoyG.)
Exclamation Evolutionary reasons for universal dreams?
The purpose of this thread is to list some universal dream situations, and to explain why it's universal (crossing cultures, and time periods):

For example, my understanding is:
1. the fear of falling in your dream, and waking up before impact.
2. the fear may have been bred into us when our ancestors used to live in trees. This may be instinctual "residue" from an early time.

1. frantic running in a dream is almost impossible, you feel as if you're running in concrete or your legs have seized up.
1b. frantic punching in a dream is almost impossible, you feel as if you're punching underwater or your arms have seized up.
2. the frantic nature may override the sleeping paralysis, and the person may rock violently when asleep, so some sort of in dream paralysis may have evolved. Perhaps even the instinctual "residue" mentioned early, to stay still while asleep in a tree.

Something along these lines. I'm interested in the Evolutionary reasons (the Universal ones), and not the psychological ones which are dependent on specific time periods, and cultures (like giving a public speech, while naked).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes PoolBoyG's post
09-11-2012, 11:41 PM (This post was last modified: 09-11-2012 11:48 PM by thirdangletheory.)
RE: Evolutionary reasons for universal dreams?
The first has to do with transitioning between the stages of sleep as your brain switches muscle control on and off. It's called a hypnic jerk, and it has nothing to do with our evolutionary history as far as being tree dwellers - other animals, like dogs, experience them too. The latter is your brain trying to match up your dream with the (lack of) sensory input from your body. Sort of, 'Hey, I can't move! Better slow down this dream.'
[+] 1 user Likes thirdangletheory's post
10-11-2012, 05:38 PM (This post was last modified: 10-11-2012 05:44 PM by Misanthropik.)
The other night, I dreamt that I was the sergent of a platoon of soldiers who had somehow "crashed" into a mist-filled wilderness. (I say "crashed" because I don't know how we got there, but in the dream, I just had this knowledge that it had something to do with a vehicle falling into an alternate universe) I knew that my comrades were injured or dead all around me, but I couldn't see them because of the fog. But before I could go searching for them, I had to deal with the elderly husband and wife who were indigenous to the area and who I knew posed some sort of threat to me. I instinctually knew that they were nearby, so I ran to their location and drew down on them; ordering the husband to put down his double-barelled shotgun. I ordered them both onto their stomachs and secured their hands behind their backs with riot-cuffs (a lockable plastic band, as opposed to metal handcuffs). While doing this, I was calling out verbal support to a few injured soldiers I could hear screaming and moaning somewhere out in the fog, and told them that I'd get to them as soon as I could.

After securing the elderly couple (who I just knew were still planning some sort of retaliation), I went to look for the captain, but somehow I knew that he was dead. Actually, it was a relatively lucid dream and I decided that I wanted to be in charge, so I decided that he was dead (lol). When I found him, sure enough, he was laying on his stomach with his neck snapped from the "crash". I then knew that my next order of business should be to find the sexy female member of the group who was injured somewhere and thus needed my super-manly help. I was still kind of controlling the dream, so when I found her, she had a broken leg and needed a vast amount of emotional support (more than any military-trained female badass ever would). So I was extra nice to her while being a dick to everyone else as we realigned the broken bones in her leg (which was torturous for her). At this point, injured soldiers began to literally crawl out of the fog toward us and we all gathered in the same location to decide what to do next. I finished a makeshift splint out of duct tape on the woman's leg, and then told everyone that I was in charge of the company because the captain was dead. Suddenly, I remembered the elderly couple who were still tied up somewhere in the fog, and was incredibly disappointed for having let myself be distracted by so many problems at once. So I took off into the fog to search for the old couple, and a few of the uninjured guys came after me trying to catch up. I had my gun at the ready because I just knew that the old fucks were going to be waiting to ambush us, but when I found them, they were still tied up where I had left them.

I don't remember anything after that.

(Pardon the thread derailment; I just like telling stories Big Grin )

Getting a bit more on topic, though, what about dreams in which we're flying? I and several other people I know have this dream quite often.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-11-2012, 05:46 PM
Evolutionary reasons for universal dreams?
Does a bear shit in the woods?
10-11-2012, 05:50 PM
(10-11-2012 05:46 PM)Janus Wrote:  Does a bear shit in the woods?
Yes... I have seen Bear Grylls eat apples from bear shit... I think that was in the woods. Tongue

[Image: opforum1.png]
[+] 1 user Likes frankiej's post
10-11-2012, 05:52 PM
Oh! Dreams about Bear Grylls running around my yard in his boxers.

That's definitely a universal dream.

...Yeah, I'm pretty sure. Drinking Beverage

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post