Evolving in Discussion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-10-2015, 07:49 PM
RE: Evolving in Discussion
(05-10-2015 01:42 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Axiomatic does mean, as a matter of faith.

You know where that's going.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-10-2015, 04:43 PM
(08-10-2015 07:37 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 07:34 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Scientists try to prove claims false (falsification), unlike faith leaders who unequivocally state their faith claims are true. If a scientist can demonstrate that a popular scientific claim is false, he or she can become famous, get tenure, publish books, earn more money and become respected by her or his peers. If a preacher states that the claims of his faith tradition are false, he's excommunicated, defrocked or otherwise forced to abandon his position...the stifling of growth and enlightenment basically.
True, but in fairness, the nature of tenure, research funding, and resistance to change (science can be just as hidebound as any human enterprise in some ways) has also prompted some scientists to falsify their data or to use politics and influence to extend the life of their pet theories long enough to retire.

I'll take science over faith any day but we have to be careful not to portray it is a perfect system. It is more an ideal to strive for than an actuality to embrace.

Any time humans are involved you have the inevitable biases, agendas, and manipulation of data. I agree. Yes

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
09-10-2015, 08:48 PM (This post was last modified: 09-10-2015 08:51 PM by HumanistBabe.)
(05-10-2015 01:20 PM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  for those of you who are just emerging from religion or are giving yourself enough space to question, please don't let the fear of talking to people keep you from doing so. The more people I talk to the more confident I become in my answers and the way I address issues.

What great advice! That has been a barrier for me in the past...fear of tripping over myself as I try to explain my views to a believer. However, the more I open up, the more sure I feel about the conclusions I've made.
[+] 1 user Likes HumanistBabe's post
10-10-2015, 03:52 PM
(08-10-2015 07:37 PM)mordant Wrote:  True, but in fairness, the nature of tenure, research funding, and resistance to change (science can be just as hidebound as any human enterprise in some ways) has also prompted some scientists to falsify their data or to use politics and influence to extend the life of their pet theories long enough to retire.

[Image: 1390269212824.png]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-10-2015, 07:17 PM
(08-10-2015 07:37 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(07-10-2015 07:34 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Scientists try to prove claims false (falsification), unlike faith leaders who unequivocally state their faith claims are true. If a scientist can demonstrate that a popular scientific claim is false, he or she can become famous, get tenure, publish books, earn more money and become respected by her or his peers. If a preacher states that the claims of his faith tradition are false, he's excommunicated, defrocked or otherwise forced to abandon his position...the stifling of growth and enlightenment basically.
True, but in fairness, the nature of tenure, research funding, and resistance to change (science can be just as hidebound as any human enterprise in some ways) has also prompted some scientists to falsify their data or to use politics and influence to extend the life of their pet theories long enough to retire.

I'll take science over faith any day but we have to be careful not to portray it is a perfect system. It is more an ideal to strive for than an actuality to embrace.

Review Chas' signature at your leisure.