Ex Catholic

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-10-2015, 04:53 PM
RE: Ex Catholic
Former Catholic here too...managed to raise two atheists and one who still hedges her bets. No church required of them by me though they were always allowed to go to church with friends...that did more to turn them off from religion than anything I could have said.

Yeah...Catholics used to have real issues with names (not sure if they still do). My first and middle aren't Biblical so my parents had to choose a communion name for me as well as a confirmation name.

Welcome.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-10-2015, 04:59 PM
(28-10-2015 04:13 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 04:05 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  You're not Irish any more ?

In Poland there are some who claim that one can not be Pole without being catholic. So maybe it's the same in Ireland?
Ha ha! I'm still Irish, 'tis the drink that has me typing all over the place. Probably similar to Poland, but once a catholic always a catholic in the eyes of the church. It's apparently not possible to become unbaptized.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
28-10-2015, 05:02 PM
(28-10-2015 04:59 PM)Marozz Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 04:13 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  In Poland there are some who claim that one can not be Pole without being catholic. So maybe it's the same in Ireland?
Ha ha! I'm still Irish, 'tis the drink that has me typing all over the place. Probably similar to Poland, but once a catholic always a catholic in the eyes of the church. It's apparently not possible to become unbaptized.

It may be not possible but there is no reason to care for what nonsense church spouts. I don't consider myself catholic as it was not my decision to "join the flock".

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
28-10-2015, 05:03 PM
(28-10-2015 04:59 PM)Marozz Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 04:13 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  In Poland there are some who claim that one can not be Pole without being catholic. So maybe it's the same in Ireland?

When the priest refused to baptize my oldest...I gave back my baptism.

Still can't get off the damn mailing list though. Angry My Catholic high school still tries to hit me up for money several times a year.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
28-10-2015, 05:05 PM
(28-10-2015 04:44 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 04:27 PM)AWeir1978 Wrote:  I remember getting in trouble in 8th grade because I asked my nun teacher how they knew Mary was a virgin. Maybe I always questioned too much. Lol

Now, now dear. All those questions and all that thinking outside the box....it's gonna get you into trouble with those nuns.

My husband was raised a catholic. He tells the story of his very first day in the first grade when he was 6 years old. His name is Michael but everyone in his family calls him Mike so on the first day of school the nuns asked all the kids to write their names on a piece of paper. He wrote his name, "Mike". The nun came by and when she saw the name "Mike" written on his paper she grabbed him by his ears, pulled him up out of the chair and threw him on the floor. "Your name is Michael, M I C H A E L! Like the archangel!"

Geesh! What an anal bitch.

My grandma's name was Florence. That's a big name for a little girl to know how to spell. When she couldn't spell it the nun hit her in the head with her shoe.
28-10-2015, 05:06 PM
(28-10-2015 05:03 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 04:59 PM)Marozz Wrote:  Ha ha! I'm still Irish, 'tis the drink that has me typing all over the place. Probably similar to Poland, but once a catholic always a catholic in the eyes of the church. It's apparently not possible to become unbaptized.

Still can't get off the damn mailing list though. Angry My Catholic high school still tries to hit me up for money several times a year.

Don't you just love that money grubbing? My aunt was dead and still receiving a bill!!
[+] 1 user Likes AWeir1978's post
28-10-2015, 05:13 PM
(28-10-2015 05:03 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 04:59 PM)Marozz Wrote:  Ha ha! I'm still Irish, 'tis the drink that has me typing all over the place. Probably similar to Poland, but once a catholic always a catholic in the eyes of the church. It's apparently not possible to become unbaptized.

There's no escape. The parish still tries to hit me for a few bob every Easter and Christmas. The begging envelopes go straight into the green bin!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
28-10-2015, 05:15 PM
(28-10-2015 05:13 PM)Marozz Wrote:  There's no escape. The parish still tries to hit me for a few bob every Easter and Christmas. The begging envelopes go straight into the green bin!

If you ever get one of those fake bills with the bible verses on the back save it and put that in the envelope.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
28-10-2015, 05:22 PM
(28-10-2015 05:13 PM)Marozz Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 05:03 PM)Anjele Wrote:  When the priest refused to baptize my oldest...I gave back my baptism.

There's no escape. The parish still tries to hit me for a few bob every Easter and Christmas. The begging envelopes go straight into the green bin!

After the baptism episode I eventually fell off the church's mailing list...but that damn school is relentless. Dodgy

Like I didn't hate the years I spent there...I have to be reminded of them every couple months.

[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
28-10-2015, 05:42 PM
Welcome from another de-programmed catholic. Your asking the questions meant that your brain was working the problem, even when young. I was 8 and asked a question and was told by the nun "That's one of the mysteries.". That pretty much set me on the track, but I attended mass and did all that I was supposed to do, and didn't get to thinking it through until I was 52 and decided that it was all bunk.

I have heard that one can petition the RCC to be let off the hook, but I also hear that so many people are sending in the forms that they have stopped accepting them. Anyone know about this, pro/con?
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post