RE: Ex Catholic
Hello! Big Grin

Hug
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
28-10-2015, 05:55 PM
(28-10-2015 05:42 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Welcome from another de-programmed catholic. Your asking the questions meant that your brain was working the problem, even when young. I was 8 and asked a question and was told by the nun "That's one of the mysteries.". That pretty much set me on the track, but I attended mass and did all that I was supposed to do, and didn't get to thinking it through until I was 52 and decided that it was all bunk.

I have heard that one can petition the RCC to be let off the hook, but I also hear that so many people are sending in the forms that they have stopped accepting them. Anyone know about this, pro/con?

The form to defect from the church was so popular, that in 2010 the church made changes to Canon Law which removed the option to formally defect.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
28-10-2015, 05:57 PM
Ex Catholic
Didn't know that about Poles, but I once told a friend that if you're Irish, Italian, or Latino, you're probably Catholic. If not you were or you have family who are. She didn't believe me, so I turned to my Brooklyn Italian buddy. He was formerly Catholic, too. My father's grandfather was from Ireland.

It's just like I'd take a bet that Marozz has at least two family members named Frances/Francis. Smile
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post
28-10-2015, 06:23 PM (This post was last modified: 28-10-2015 06:35 PM by Marozz.)
(28-10-2015 05:57 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  Didn't know that about Poles, but I once told a friend that if you're Irish, Italian, or Latino, you're probably Catholic. If not you were or you have family who are. She didn't believe me, so I turned to my Brooklyn Italian buddy. He was formerly Catholic, too. My father's grandfather was from Ireland.

It's just like I'd take a bet that Marozz has at least two family members named Frances/Francis. Smile

You'd lose your bet. I have friends called Francis. But I see where your coming from. Main reason is because Francis of Assisi wasn't one of my grandmothers favourite saints. Big Grin. Her all time favourite saint was a saint with the name des Porres.... I and a few of my cousins were named after him. If you know your saints then you'll know my first name. Most of my family are named after various saints, the Gospel writers etc.....

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
28-10-2015, 07:12 PM
(28-10-2015 05:55 PM)Marozz Wrote:  
(28-10-2015 05:42 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Welcome from another de-programmed catholic. Your asking the questions meant that your brain was working the problem, even when young. I was 8 and asked a question and was told by the nun "That's one of the mysteries.". That pretty much set me on the track, but I attended mass and did all that I was supposed to do, and didn't get to thinking it through until I was 52 and decided that it was all bunk.

I have heard that one can petition the RCC to be let off the hook, but I also hear that so many people are sending in the forms that they have stopped accepting them. Anyone know about this, pro/con?

The form to defect from the church was so popular, that in 2010 the church made changes to Canon Law which removed the option to formally defect.

I like that they use the word "defect", just like every totalitarian regime on the planet uses when people try and/or do to get out from under. I wonder what I can do to get excommunicated, then? Enough derail, I'll start a thread.