Ex Catholics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2013, 01:59 PM
RE: Ex Catholics
Icelandic, if you've already decided to go make the most of it. The Italians are gracious, the architecture is beautiful and the food exquisite!

Throughout history conversions happen at the point of a sword, deconversions at the point of a pen - FC

I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's. - Mark Twain in Eruption
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-01-2013, 07:14 AM
(28-01-2013 02:06 PM)That Icelandic Wrote:  I'm going to italy with my sisters choir in the summer. I HAV TO SING FOR THE POPE!! Hey, i mean i really appreciate going to italy and all, but i hav to sing in the centre of the catholic church as well as evey other obscure church on the italian penninsula. My mom knows im an atheist but she says its a "family thing". Personally, im goin for the food and the modern art, but i hav to sing "praise jesus christoi" for all of the days im there too. I dunno, im grateful but pissed off at the same time
Been a long time since I sang in the choir.
Just enjoy the architecture - the catholic churches are just gorgeous. They had the money to pay a lot of superb artists and architects... and the music isn't so bad. If you feel secure in your atheism, you'll be able to enjoy these things again.
Travelling in Italy is well worth singing for your supper, lol.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
30-01-2013, 09:53 AM

Thanks dom. First rehearsal was yesterday and we already sound like "angels" lol
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes That Icelandic's post
03-02-2013, 11:32 PM
yup. ex-catholic here. had the whole experience.. lots of mass. catholic school k-12. all boys school from 7-12 so you get to pity me there. i was even a altar boy for a while. im certainly not proud of that.
03-02-2013, 11:48 PM
When you go to the Vatican, ask the guard/guide if he thinks it's funny that the Sistine ceiling was painted by a gay atheist ? I did. They didn't think it was too funny. Ask why the guy in the celing is mooning the church . Ask about the pope's babies, and mistresses. They'll love you.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)

[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
04-02-2013, 12:56 PM
(27-01-2013 10:11 PM)That Icelandic Wrote:  Sup guys. Im an ex-catholic and i just wanted to talk to some people who get my position. Where i come from there is exactly one atheist i know, so im kinda short on conversation with people when it comes to morality and religion and things like that. I'd luv to hear from any ex catholics out there.
I always wondered why most of the atheists I'm aware of are former catholics. I used to be one as well. I think it's because it's mostly rooted in ritual.

It's like some jewish people I know. They can't really tell you much about their holidays, rituals, or beliefs, but just that it's something that they do that they've always done and that's just the way it is. Catholics, from what I remember, are mostly the same. We go to mass, and with minor changes, they're all the same mass over and over. The feasts are the same, the songs are the same, and that's just how it is.

Welcome to the fold, though! Good to see one more person break the cycle!
05-02-2013, 01:17 PM
I'm also an ex-catholic, and have never met an atheist in real life. It was crazy when I realized I was only catholic because I was brainwashed into being that way. And partially because it was comforting. Also because I was taught that questioners go to hell, so I had the fear of god in me, you could say. All religion does is cause unnecessary guilt.

Nice to see others have done the same Tongue I'm still in the closet, though, and plan to stay that way until I'm no longer a minor.

Better to be hungry and free than fed and in chains.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-02-2013, 03:25 PM
Ex Catholic here!

My Dad has been a musician in "the church" for a very long time, since before I was born. He has some ridiculous degree in that arena as well. He makes good money to sit around and play the same shit every other day, and double time around the holidays. I remember attending a lot of funerals for people I didn't know.

I'm new Smile
11-02-2013, 03:59 PM
My partner is from Irish family, was raised Catholic and lived in Ireland between the ages of 11 and 17 - but has been an atheist for a long time now.

Many members of his family have, if not abandoned their faith, at least reviewed it and changed their opinion on major issues. The fact that his sister's best friend is very openly gay and not only accepted but positively adored by everyone emphasises the fact that they are moving away from traditional Catholicism, if not completely to the point of giving it up.

I am fortunate to be living in a city where being an atheist is not an issue - but it is still something that people are coy about admitting. I suspect that you are not alone in your beliefs, Icelandic, but the people around you may be faking for themselves as well as others.

In any case, I am new here too, but welcome and I hope you find your people...
[+] 1 user Likes arethosemyfeet?'s post
11-02-2013, 04:51 PM
(27-01-2013 10:11 PM)That Icelandic Wrote:  Sup guys. Im an ex-catholic and i just wanted to talk to some people who get my position. Where i come from there is exactly one atheist i know, so im kinda short on conversation with people when it comes to morality and religion and things like that. I'd luv to hear from any ex catholics out there.

Raises hand..ya x-Cathoic who also attended a baptist school growing up....

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...