Ex-Christians Only

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-02-2017, 07:11 PM
Ex-Christians Only
Ex-Christians only:

I know I asked a similar question before, but what was the first fact or piece of information that triggered your journey to atheism?
For me it was when I accepted evolution & the Big Bang
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes DoubtingThomas's post
03-02-2017, 07:38 PM
RE: Ex-Christians Only
Richard Dawkins/Cardinal Pell debate.
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
03-02-2017, 08:06 PM
Thinking about what was being claimed within the Church... and then doing High School history lessons.

The church side of things simply did not match that of history... even at High school level.
03-02-2017, 08:36 PM
The hypocrisy by the faithful.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post
03-02-2017, 08:40 PM
That any promise of a postmortem preservation of personal identity is nonsense.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
03-02-2017, 09:37 PM
I asked a question in Catechism about some thing or other, and was told, "That's one of god's mysteries" by the nun. I wasn't used to having alternative facts (heh heh) given to me, and I was skeptical. Age 11. But I stuck with it, being a good boy for another 40 years before chucking it all out the window as complete BS. I didn't believe for a long time, but didn't admit it, except to myself. It wasn't until I was on travel for my job, away from home for months, that I had time to sit back and actually reflect on the entire mess that is religion. I didn't have my family or any of the hobby stuff that I had at home to distract me, and that was that.
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post
04-02-2017, 06:39 AM
A trigger that took over twenty years to pull, I was agnostic for a long period of time because of my disdain for the excuses I was given over why prayers aren't answered.

Ultimately I reached a point where I saw that the acceptance of many parts of Christianity demands a rejection of scientific knowledge. You either choose the nutty world of magic or the reality of a world that can actually be understood through the scientific method.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 3 users Like TheInquisition's post
04-02-2017, 09:54 AM
Learning about Enuma Elish, the Epic of Gilgamesh, and unfortunately, the spurious Jesus/Horus connection. At least it got me to start thinking about this stuff independently from my parents.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
04-02-2017, 10:22 AM
Long story, but to keep it short, I "found" religion after my wife (now ex) had a very serious traffic accident, and the church community - of which we were not members - rallied around to help us out.

Good, decent, honourable people.

I got away from the church, not because of the people (they were, and remain, decent folk) but because of the contradictions in the bible and church teachings that directly opposed both common sense and scientific inquiry.
[+] 1 user Likes Heath_Tierney's post
04-02-2017, 05:01 PM
Non-belief has been a long process. Accepting the term "atheist" started when I used the Internet to search for an answer to a health problem I had experienced for years. I found extremely good advice after just a few clicks. So I figured I could find answers to my unbelief "problem" by looking for advice from atheists. Which led me here. Thanks, all!
[+] 4 users Like port_of_call's post