Ex-Christians Only

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2017, 05:30 PM
RE: Ex-Christians Only
I read the bible.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Dom's post
22-02-2017, 09:45 PM
i wasn't getting anything out of faith and i learned that other people felt as strongly about alternate faiths and i realized that no particular belief was more valid than the others and that the whole idea of a god was just rediculous
[+] 1 user Likes seagull's post
23-02-2017, 05:08 AM (This post was last modified: 23-02-2017 05:16 AM by RearViewMirror.)
My journey from Christianity to Atheism was a relatively short journey. My parents (and Grandparents) are devout Christians. I grew up in a Christian home and went to church each time the doors were open. But at the age of 14 I started questioning the truth of belief and religion as a whole. Of course my Mother's answer to this was always "what do you think Jesus would think?". Not really the answer or guidance I was looking for at that time. I suppose the initial subjects that got me started on my path at an early age were the stories of Noah and the ark, Lot's wife turning to a pillar of salt, the tower of Babel, etc... But I suppose the turning point to me was the story of Abraham attempting to sacrifice his son for this so called God. My thinking at the time was if God is all powerful and already knows everything we have done and every choice we are going to make then what kind of supreme being would ask a father to carry out this act if he already knew the outcome beforehand? And what kind of supreme being would ever ask this in the first place?
I've studied the bible from cover to cover many times. I'm very interested in why people believe the things they believe and are willing to put rational thought aside. When I was 14 I became very invested in science and it became a passion of mine. Science and the evolution of science became my mission. Science is ever changing and evolving as we gain more knowledge. Science is never stagnate or reliant on a belief structure based in the past that is unyielding. So my belief is that man created God, not the other way around.

I'm lucky with the job that I hold. I've been a Professional Firefighter for 23 years now. I'm one of only three Captains on the state's only fully staffed Hazardous Materials Unit. This allows me to use science in the resolution of an emergency. I hold degrees in Chemistry and Radiological / Nuclear Science. So not only do I get to play around with sophisticated equipment but I also get to run into burning buildings which satisfies my adrenaline junkie side.

I grew up in Hawaii, California, and Virginia. My parents divorced when I was a teenager and we moved to the South where my Grandparents lived. Needless to say, I'm a minority living in the South being a non-believer. I "generally" shy away from arguments about religion or the (so called) morality that religious people like to throw around. I like civil discussions about religion and I hold no ill will toward anyone that believes as long as their actions do no harm to another. But that is a double edged sword. If you bring a child into this world and force the dogma of whatever religion you subscribe too then I personally think that is hindering free thought and limiting their views to reject others over belief alone.

I find it amusing that when I have a discussion with someone religious that I "usually" know more about the subject matter than they do. But in my opinion that is what "free thinking" is about. Studying the facts. I have a vivid memory of some years back sitting at the station and watching Jeopardy. One of the questions (answers I suppose) was the first book of the bible that starts with the letter "L". "Leviticus" I blurted out without thinking. Everyone just stopped and stared at me. I cleared the column with all the right answers. I proceeded to then recite every book of the bible from beginning to end without looking. I was asked "how do you know so much about the bible but don't believe?" "Maybe it's because I ACTUALLY studied the bible and didn't just blindly listen to some person telling me what I should believe?".

There is nothing more dangerous to a Christian than an informed Atheist.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 4 users Like RearViewMirror's post
23-02-2017, 06:43 AM (This post was last modified: 23-02-2017 06:48 AM by LadyDay.)
It wasn't a single big event, but multiple. several things that made me question the religion I'd been indoctrinated into (I believe it is indoctrination when you impose a belief system on a small child, threatening them with Hell if they don't think and act "correctly"). I can mention some.

Firstly, when I was a little girl in Sunday school, 15+ years before I actually left religion, I struggled to believe the story of Jonah in the whale. I was told by all the adults I knew that this was an actual, historical event, so I did my very best to believe it. Still sounded like a made up story to me though.

In my teens I started to get very upset that it was a sin to be, or at least live actively as, gay. I figured that being gay doesn't hurt anybody and it hurts gay people to deny their sexuality. So I thought that God better have a good reason for saying that it's a sin. Trouble is that there isn't any good reason for it. I didn't think "I think it's yucky!" was a good reason!

I also despised the behavior of God in the book of Job. I did not see why it was just of God to let Satan destroy the life of Job, just because of a bet. I didn't find it satisfactory that Job was given back more than he had had before. You can't replace dead children with new ones!

Same with the story of Abraham almost sacrificing Isaac. Yeah yeah, Abraham proved his faith in God and Isaac wasn't killed, so all is well right? NO! It would be absolutely traumatic for a child to experience his father holding a knife above him, ready to kill him! Not ok!

In the end, what helped me get free of my religion was leaving the closed Christian bubble-world I grew up in and start university. I began studying physics, and being around science and reasonably thinking people gave me the freedom to use and cherish my innate abilities for skepticism and critical thinking, and to fully explore my passion for the natural sciences, without the restrictions imposed by fundamental Christianity.

Freedom of the mind is the biggest, most amazing thing I've ever achieved and I cherish it every day!

"I believe that while not all people are essentially good, most are trying" - Adam Savage
[+] 2 users Like LadyDay's post
23-02-2017, 08:05 AM
The death of my best male friend who was also my priest alongside a traumatic experience in my life and the realisation I was only a social/cultural christian.
23-02-2017, 08:12 AM
(03-02-2017 07:11 PM)DoubtingThomas Wrote:  Ex-Christians only:

I know I asked a similar question before, but what was the first fact or piece of information that triggered your journey to atheism?
For me it was when I accepted evolution & the Big Bang

I actually watched Bill Maher's "Religulous", which actually isn't all correct with some of the arguements he presents. However, at the time I was floored by how passionately someone could refute and make fun of Christianity. It led to to other atheist resources like The Thinking Atheist, The Atheist Experience, and others. It didn't take long after that.

"Most people are other people.
Their thoughts are someone else's opinions,
their lives a mimicry,
their passions a quotation."
-Oscar Wilde
[+] 1 user Likes LadyWallFlower's post
23-02-2017, 08:17 AM
My family's annoyingly overt rediscovery of Catholicism.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-02-2017, 10:01 AM
It wasn't just my discovery of evolution and the real age of the earth (et cetera), but learning that my church was not only misguided about it but willing to bend the truth or outright lie in an attempt to discredit science that conflicted with its version of theology. Once I began to look into the "what else might they be lying about?" question, it crumbled like a house of cards.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
23-02-2017, 10:10 AM
Evolution and biology as taught to me in school. And dinos, fossils, age of the earth, etc. Stuck with me, even though I remained religious and grew more religious for YEARS, these were seeds in my mind. Then when the sheen of the church wore off, and the cracks started to show, the seeds grew through the cracks.

Things like shitty church leaders and members, money-hungry churches, prayers not being answered, the terrible treatment of women in the bible, my acts of faith requiring someone else step in and save my ass all combined to make me start to doubt. Then research into inconsistencies in the Bible, scientific facts, and logical failures and misalignment of historical reality and biblical story all served to finally break it down entirely.
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
18-03-2017, 12:29 PM
When I was in A&E facing the thought of my own death... everything changed and I suddenly felt religion held no answers for me. After that I thought it through and it made sense God doesn't exist.
[+] 1 user Likes hayleymayonline's post