Ex-Christians Only

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2018, 08:25 AM
RE: Ex-Christians Only
(03-02-2018 11:42 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  The realization that nuns weren't only not very smart but that they weren't very nice people, either.

I was 11 at the time.

> I know what you mean. I had to attend Catholic schools from kindergarten through high school. They were operated by the Sisters of Mt. Carmel and the Sisters of St. Joseph (1953-66). At that time, physical and mental abuse were considered to be acceptable "teaching" tools.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
04-02-2018, 08:31 AM
(03-02-2018 08:50 PM)Sexy_Jesus Wrote:  ...I remember wondering, how can you assert that? What makes our god any more valid than anyone else's? If there were evidence to support one god over another, wouldn't everyone be worshiping the same god? The last question certainly sheds light on my naivety at the time, ...

I'd say it sheds light on just the opposite. You sound like you were probably one of those smart-ass kids that is always asking questions (and that's a good thing). The naivety is found in the adults in the pews who don't ask those kinds of questions.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
04-02-2018, 09:04 AM
Many, MANY trigger points/steps, but I think the very first hint of skepticism was Santa Claus. If they would lie about something THAT important (used to keep children "good") then what reason was there to believe they weren't lying about god?

A better question for me was "what event made you decide you were not going to hide your non-belief any more?" I promised when I first came here that someday I'd be ready to tell that story here. Still not ready. For now let's just say it involved a funeral for a baby, a congregation, and a backwoods preacher who desperately needs to be stopped.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
04-02-2018, 09:16 AM
(04-02-2017 05:30 PM)Dom Wrote:  I read the bible.

My only question is why wasn't this the first answer? XP

I'm not really x anything but I'd qualify to an impartial panel.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
07-02-2018, 03:54 PM
(04-02-2018 08:31 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(03-02-2018 08:50 PM)Sexy_Jesus Wrote:  ...I remember wondering, how can you assert that? What makes our god any more valid than anyone else's? If there were evidence to support one god over another, wouldn't everyone be worshiping the same god? The last question certainly sheds light on my naivety at the time, ...

I'd say it sheds light on just the opposite. You sound like you were probably one of those smart-ass kids that is always asking questions (and that's a good thing). The naivety is found in the adults in the pews who don't ask those kinds of questions.

I suppose there's truth to that, but I more meant that I had not yet figured out that even in the face of contradicting evidence, most people will double down on their beliefs rather than change them. However, I appreciate the compliment Shy

A Catholic, an Atheist, a Muslim, a Jew, a Hindu, a Baptist, and a Pastafarian all walk into a bar. They chat, drink, laugh, and have a good time. There's no joke to be had. It's what happens when you're not a dick.