Ex-Jehovah's Witness

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-01-2013, 11:05 PM
Ex-Jehovah's Witness
Firstly, this is fantastic. It's encouraging to see so many active freethinkers in open discussion with a sense of community.

I'm a 31 year old man and an ex-Jehovah's Witness, though it's been quite awhile. I just started looking today online for some like-minded people. It's easy to feel alone in the Bible Belt. *lol*

Glad to find you folks! I'm interested in reading the experiences of others who came from an intensively religious background and getting a taste for what other non-believers find important in life.

All the best!

"The problem with faith is that it really is a conversation stopper. Faith is a declaration of immunity to the powers of conversation. It is a reason why you do not have to give reasons for what you believe." - Sam Harris
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SingingBear's post
06-01-2013, 11:17 PM
RE: Ex-Jehovah's Witness
Welcome, mate. Glad to have you with us. How long were you in the religion? All your life? And when did you deconvert, would you say?

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
06-01-2013, 11:25 PM
Welcome Smile
07-01-2013, 12:56 AM
Welcome, bear. Say, uh, you're not the kind of bear that eats kids for making fun of bald men, are you?

Oh, and in response to your sort-of unspoken question, I think you'll find that what we non-believers find important in life is different for each one of us. Often religious people find their religion to be important in their lives, and they share that with others in their church and community as sort of a tie that binds. Others not so much. But for us non-believers, we don't have a specific tie that binds, per se, so we're just a bunch of different folk who share and debate and fight about our opinions.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
[+] 1 user Likes Aseptic Skeptic's post
07-01-2013, 12:57 AM
Well, thank you both for the welcome! Smile

I actually just wrote about it in another thread. Born and raised into the religion. I was disfellowshipped at 19, but it took some years to fully get the programming out and fully deconvert. It's a cult and I do believe, intentional or not, people are "brainwashed". So there was no real clean cut off point. I realized they were wrong, but still had a lot of doubts and old thought habits ingrained so that I had to constantly remind myself that I was not wrong for leaving, changing from, and growing beyond the religion.

"The problem with faith is that it really is a conversation stopper. Faith is a declaration of immunity to the powers of conversation. It is a reason why you do not have to give reasons for what you believe." - Sam Harris
07-01-2013, 01:13 AM
*lol* I have a shaved head and I eat anyone who makes fun of it. I should have used the other moniker 'Apostopheles' (Apostate + Mephistopheles contraction), but it was too late. I'd already created the account.

And you're right, of course. But then the fundamentalists will get scared if we start banding together. Fox news will broadcast reports of the threat of militant atheist groups popping up all over the place and then you'll see posts on FB that we're responsible for 9/11.

07-01-2013, 02:11 AM
Nah, they're too busy blaming Bush Jr.

"Whores perform the same function as priests, but far more thoroughly." - Robert A. Heinlein
07-01-2013, 08:43 AM
Welcome from LA.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
07-01-2013, 09:01 AM
Welcome DancingBear. Always glad to see people crawl out of the 'Borganization'. Thumbsup

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
07-01-2013, 11:26 AM
Thanks, CheapThrill, Kingschosen! Big Grin

I was happy to visit LA six months ago. We flew out to support my sister and niece who were doing the blind audition for 'The Voice' as a duet (and made it Big Grin). Beautiful city. Good people, too.

And CheapThrillSeaker-- I wholeheartedly agree. I'm not sure of the overall numbers, but a large portion of the children of JW parents around here who grew up in that religion have abandoned it completely and some others, like my older brother, still pay it lip-service and attend, but have serious yet unspoken differences that, were they known to the congregation, would cause them to be labeled an apostate.

Oh! And I only go by 'DancingBear' after a couple rounds of Rumple Minze doubles on the rocks. Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes SingingBear's post