Ex Machina

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2015, 08:15 PM
Ex Machina
I just finished the movie, & the vast majority of the special features (hoping to gain further insight via the writer/ director, & the cast). I'll start by admitting to not realizing how much of a fan I was, already, of Alex Garland (the writer/ director). His works, with Danny Boyle directing, "28 Days Later," & "Sunshine," were cinematic pieces that were probably the first to have me leaving the experience(s) asking more questions about what I saw says, &/ or means, in the context of human perception of every day life.

"Ex Machina" dives into the questions, admittedly with much more eloquent sophistication, I find amazing, & boggling, when discussing artificial intelligence (a.i.), the singularity, etc. How do we, as people, define consciousness? Will consciousness from a machine be identical, just a mimic (& is it consciousness if it is?), lesser, or greater? Ethically speaking: how do we respond if we have affirmations of consciousness? These are just a few, but they illustrate my point. What specific questions do you like to ponder on such topics?

In the "sxsw panel" special feature, Alex Garland states his view of consciousness as follows: "Consciousness is interaction, & problem solving." I don't think I know enough of the science of consciousness, yet, to have an honestly valid response to, or opininon of his definition. I'm curious to hear what your thoughts are on this quote in particular.

I realize how much this seems better allocated to the philosophy thread, but I acknowledge the film, "Ex Machina," as the entertaining source. It wasn't perfect, but it was highly enjoyable, & worthy of its media attention. If you have seen it: what are your thoughts on the movie itself? Was there a scene in particular that you enjoyed, &/or a scene you could have done without? What did you think of the actors performances, special effects, musical scoring, etcetera?

If you haven't seen the movie, I recommend it- if you enjoy Sci Fi movies, & movies with a claustrophobic feel & minimal characters. I'd rate it as a 8.8/10.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes 7R0MM3L's post
06-10-2015, 07:12 PM
Ex Machina
I didn't like it as much as I hoped I would. I liked parts of the premise like the rather Asimovian examination of human nature and consciousness by proxy. But I didn't like its packaging.

I found the engineer responsible for creating improbable. His personality did not fit with the idea of someone either capable of creating something so complex or even motivated to do so.

I found the presentation of the AI sex dolls he created an unnecessary addition to what could have been an otherwise serious dismantling of deep philosophical questions. They made the film feel as though it had been created by and for sex deprived dudebros with a short attention span.

But, this is me. And this is the way I've been perceiving science fiction lately. It has made it nigh impossible for me to enjoy almost any of it. I become hypercritical and it's all downhill from there.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
06-10-2015, 08:45 PM
RE: Ex Machina
(06-10-2015 07:12 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  I didn't like it as much as I hoped I would. I liked parts of the premise like the rather Asimovian examination of human nature and consciousness by proxy. But I didn't like its packaging.

I found the engineer responsible for creating improbable. His personality did not fit with the idea of someone either capable of creating something so complex or even motivated to do so.

I found the presentation of the AI sex dolls he created an unnecessary addition to what could have been an otherwise serious dismantling of deep philosophical questions. They made the film feel as though it had been created by and for sex deprived dudebros with a short attention span.

But, this is me. And this is the way I've been perceiving science fiction lately. It has made it nigh impossible for me to enjoy almost any of it. I become hypercritical and it's all downhill from there.

Possibly do not expect so much. At least from a movie! Movies are not books. I mean real books, not comic books. A novel can take you places a film simply cannot due to time constraints. One can never make a film of the Brother Karamazov that can match the novel.

Yesterday I saw two films as you know, the Martian and Ex machina. The martian was boy meets potato, boy loses potato blah blah blah. Boy is of course rescued and all live happily ever after.

Ex machina was boy wins contest, meets girl, see's naked girl, girl is a prisoner who stabs her imprisoner and escapes and supposedly lives happily ever after.

Films. Ho hum.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
12-10-2015, 04:28 PM
RE: Ex Machina
(06-10-2015 07:12 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  I didn't like it as much as I hoped I would. I liked parts of the premise like the rather Asimovian examination of human nature and consciousness by proxy. But I didn't like its packaging.

I found myself trying to decide if we really saw the actual engineer, in personality. I keep coming to the thought that he organized the whole test from the beginning, & could have been manipulating its subjects by portraying himself differently from his true motivations.

I agree with your assessment of the sexdolls, & didn't find them necessary.

SciFi entertainment is always "iffy" for me. I love the genre, but am aware finding something I actually enjoy in it is difficult. Maybe it's for the genres rare gems that I am so patient with the rest.
[+] 1 user Likes 7R0MM3L's post
12-10-2015, 06:49 PM
Ex Machina
(12-10-2015 04:28 PM)7R0MM3L Wrote:  

I found myself trying to decide if we really saw the actual engineer, in personality. I keep coming to the thought that he organized the whole test from the beginning, & could have been manipulating its subjects by portraying himself differently from his true motivations.

I agree with your assessment of the sexdolls, & didn't find them necessary.

SciFi entertainment is always "iffy" for me. I love the genre, but am aware finding something I actually enjoy in it is difficult. Maybe it's for the genres rare gems that I am so patient with the rest.

Hear hear. I went back and watched 2001 again just to remind myself why I consider myself a fan of SciFi (not SyFy).

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum