Ex-christians - what is the point of praying?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-08-2011, 11:50 AM
Ex-christians - what is the point of praying?
And here I am thinking of a recent FB post by one of my Alabama relatives, pleading with people to please, please start a prayer chain for little Billy, who stapled himself in the heart with a brad nailer. My reaction (muttered, not posted) is, "oh, jesus christ!" but not at all with the tone she was hoping for.

You see, I was raised non-theist. So my logic-fed reaction is one of total frustration.
  • I thought god was everywhere. Doesn't he know about little Billy?
  • Assuming he knows, why hasn't he done something for Billy already?
  • If he hasn't done something for Billy, is it because this is his plan? I thought god had a plan.
  • Who are you to ask GOD to change his PLAN?

You see my problem.

So I honestly do not get what people think they are doing when they pray to god for Billy. Can someone who used to pray explain this to me? Thanks.

Every time you say you don't believe, Jesus rips the wings off a fairy. - SkepticalParenting.com
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-08-2011, 11:56 AM
RE: Ex-christians - what is the point of praying?
So they want to ask God to help poor little Billy who stapled himself in the heart? And they want to ask the SAME GOD who at least allowed and at worst caused little Billy to staple himself in the first place? These people need their heads examined.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
16-08-2011, 12:44 PM
A creationist will always find some sort of 'logic' to fit with his beliefs. And if he really doesn't know, he'll just say:"God works in mysterious ways".

Other people will view it like this:

[Image: n513673161_909915_7889-463x580.jpg]

[Image: WVYs3.png]

[Image: 2008-12-01-prayer-vs-hard-work.png]

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
[+] 5 users Like Thammuz's post
16-08-2011, 12:57 PM
Maybe they think God will only answer it if everyone likes the poor dumb bastard enough (maybe I shouldn't say bastard but dumb apparently works if he stapled himself in the heart with a nail gun). Ergo prayer is like a get well card and if there are enough signatures God looks down and says "Get Well Soon" but if there are only a few God looks down and says "You are very unpopular. Recover on your own."

On a more serious note, people simply do this to be consoled. It brings attention to them so people will try to make them feel better and give them that much needed attention. In times of depression and worry like this we either want to be consoled or want to be left alone and very often a mixture of both. Prayer is a simple, inexpensive way of consoling someone and consoling yourself.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
16-08-2011, 01:54 PM
On a more basic note, why ask an omnipotent being for anything ever? Surely he knows what you want anyway and can make his decision without you ever needing to ask him.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
16-08-2011, 04:14 PM

My dilemma with prayer is this: when millions of good christians are praying for, and millions of good christians are praying against, the same thing (like in a war), how does god decide whose prayer to answer?
Quote this message in a reply
16-08-2011, 07:02 PM
He gets the heavenly host to strum 0003, 0004 or 0005 on their i-harps.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
16-08-2011, 11:12 PM
(16-08-2011 12:44 PM)Thammuz Wrote:  A creationist will always find some sort of 'logic' to fit with his beliefs. And if he really doesn't know, he'll just say:"God works in mysterious ways".

Other people will view it like this:

[Image: n513673161_909915_7889-463x580.jpg]

[Image: WVYs3.png]

[Image: 2008-12-01-prayer-vs-hard-work.png]

Love it! Thankyou!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user