Exact worries in dreams

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2017, 09:50 AM
RE: Exact worries in dreams
That's *exactly* what dreams are!

Now, if I dreamt I'd solved the Riemann hypothesis and on waking up, it turned out my solution was right, *then* I'd be freaking out.

Until then - what happens to us (in the outside world *and* our heads) when we're awake, is what we dream about when we're asleep, in one form or another...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-07-2017, 03:47 PM
(29-07-2017 09:34 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Do you bruise easily? Skin, eyes, or nails look yellow? Have your ALT and AST checked? I take NAC and milk thistle to keep my alcohol-fueled filter happy.

Hi GirlyMan,

Thanks for the personal touch. Smile

I'm OK with the bruising and not yellow. Docs checked liver and kidneys blood tests a while back - also OK.

Not a massive drinker but I have been at it (on and off) for 55 years. That's a long time on the one liver. Unsure

Thanks for the milk thistle tip, even if its a placebo I'm in. What is NAC?

D.
29-07-2017, 03:55 PM
(29-07-2017 05:24 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Yes, I do this all of the time, I'm in IT and sometimes I'll be working on an IT issue in my dream.

It's also very common to have something you fear or dread show up in your dreams, I hate being at work in my dreams, there is a palpable dread I feel when I am at work in my dreams because that's what it's like when I am not dreaming. (I loath my job)

Fear and dread are very common and powerful emotions and they can certainly crop up in your dreams.

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your working days. Sad

Yes, general anxiety and dread are a common thing with dreams and I get that sometimes. I think what stood out in this dream is that someone actually voiced the concern to my face. It felt a bit Trumpian, like a step too far even for my subconscious.

D.
29-07-2017, 04:09 PM
(29-07-2017 03:55 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  I think what stood out in this dream is that someone actually voiced the concern to my face. It felt a bit Trumpian, like a step too far even for my subconscious.

D.

This someone is actually you - you do know that, don't you?

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes abaris's post
30-07-2017, 01:55 AM
(29-07-2017 04:09 PM)abaris Wrote:  
(29-07-2017 03:55 PM)Dworkin Wrote:  I think what stood out in this dream is that someone actually voiced the concern to my face. It felt a bit Trumpian, like a step too far even for my subconscious.

D.

This someone is actually you - you do know that, don't you?

abaris,

"...even for my subconscious."

Yes, good point. The character in my dream was unknown to me (consciously) and most convincing. Of course, characters in dreams do tend to be convincing, probably for the reason you allude to.

The point of my post is merely that this particular structure has not happened in my dreams before, as far as I remember, and thus represents a change in my dream landscape. The move was from more generalised, often surreal and abstracted, themes to something quite specific and topical. No need for interpretation in this case.

Quite a surprise.

D.
02-08-2017, 04:06 PM
(29-07-2017 05:36 AM)abaris Wrote:  
(29-07-2017 05:24 AM)TheInquisition Wrote:  It's also very common to have something you fear or dread show up in your dreams, I hate being at work in my dreams, there is a palpable dread I feel when I am at work in my dreams because that's what it's like when I am not dreaming. (I loath my job)

Yeah, I know the feeling. I always keep dreaming of deadlines, not being able to make it and everyone putting pressure on me.

When I have work-related dreams, they're almost always of this form: I don't know what the hell I'm doing, I have no useful function at my company, and any day now the boss is going to figure that out and fire me. In real life, my job security is pretty good, so I'm not sure where these dreams come from.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
02-08-2017, 04:52 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2017 04:56 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(02-08-2017 04:06 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  When I have work-related dreams, they're almost always of this form: I don't know what the hell I'm doing, I have no useful function at my company, and any day now the boss is going to figure that out and fire me. In real life, my job security is pretty good, so I'm not sure where these dreams come from.

Dreams like that come from the memory, emotion, and thought deficits of the dreaming brain, caused by the deactivation of important parts of the prefrontal cortex. They also come from the fact that things don't work in dreams like they do in waking. The same rules don't apply at all.

That's why I maintain that dreams have little to do with A) what we are really like as people, and B) our waking lives. They are unique experiences on their own, caused by our befuddlement -- by the fact that we assume we are acting in the real world when we really aren't.