Examining the basis of Christian holidays

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-03-2012, 01:25 AM
Examining the basis of Christian holidays
Just an honest atheist look at why Christians (and Jews) do what they do and what they're actually celebrating:

Passover

-Passover is a feast dedicated to the time the Lord had his people smear sacrificed sheep's blood on their door frames so that God didn't accidentally kill their children during his genocidal rampage of firstborn sons.

Easter

-Easter is a feast celebrating the resurrection of Jesus on the 3rd day. So naturally, a giant bunny hides colored eggs and we eat chocolate from baskets.

Ash Wednesday

-AW is a day when priests draw crosses on people's foreheads with ashes to mark the first day of Lent. Supposedly, the usage of ash comes from the ancient Biblical practice of dusting yourself in ash to express mourning. Strangely, the coinciding practices of girding up your loincloth and tearing your garments are discarded as silly.

Christmas

-Christians celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ... by setting out cookies and milk, hanging socks over the fireplace, and wrapping material possessions and putting them under a pine tree decorated with blinking lights and snowmen.

Thanksgiving

-Thanksgiving was actually an English tradition of literally giving thanks that began during the English Reformation, similar to the "giving of thanks to God" found in the Old Testament. But that was stolen by Americans and jumbled together with thanking Native Americans for giving Pilgrims food and celebrating the harvest. So now, left with some Frankenstein monster cluster of beliefs, we gather and give thanks to God... while eating turkey... while our children wear Pilgrim hats with buckles on them.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-03-2012, 12:36 PM
RE: Examining the basis of Christian holidays
I don't really think that Christians would call Thanksgiving a religious holiday. It is an American national holiday. Sure if you want to you can say grace at dinner but there isn't any particular reigious theme to it.
05-03-2012, 12:41 PM
(05-03-2012 12:36 PM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  I don't really think that Christians would call Thanksgiving a religious holiday. It is an American national holiday. Sure if you want to you can say grace at dinner but there isn't any particular reigious theme to it.

Some have tried to claim it has been secularized and stolen away from the true Christian thanks to God... I heard it griped somewhere last year. Every day needs to be attributed to God!Angel
05-03-2012, 12:41 PM
(05-03-2012 12:36 PM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  I don't really think that Christians would call Thanksgiving a religious holiday. It is an American national holiday. Sure if you want to you can say grace at dinner but there isn't any particular reigious theme to it.

It's listed in most "Christian holiday" lists I found and it has roots in religion... so it made the list.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
05-03-2012, 12:44 PM
BC, you should also mention that Christmas and Easter hijacked pagan holidays so that even the pagans would be worshiping God during these celebrations.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
08-03-2012, 11:42 AM
The first Thanksgiving, interestingly enough, was probably the only time the puritans didn't give thanks to god before a meal.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
12-04-2012, 01:27 AM
I think it's interesting in which way these holidays has evolved. Why is it Santa Claus who brings the presents? Why do we get chocolate, eggs and food hampers delivered by a giant Easter bunny? I mean all these traditions don't have much in common with the original meaning of the celebration. Is this just what the media and advertising companies learned us to think?
12-04-2012, 02:09 AM
Thing is, when I was a dyed in the wool fanatical True Believer, like the currently delusional KC, I too knew the origins of holy days came from less desirable roots. However, God can turn even the most evil of circumstances into goodness to display his splendor before the nations.

In other words, Fuck what history says. My God says otherwise and that's good enough for me, you Uncle Fucker. In Jesus' name, of course.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post