Excavating the Empty Tomb

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Excavating the Empty Tomb
I'm not really sure where to put this. Surely it belongs in the Atheism sub-board, since it's promoting the Jesus Myth Theory, right? But I, unfortunately, have to face the facts. The truth is that the vast majority of scholars and historians buy into the fact the Jesus was at the very least a real person. Even though I do buy into the theory, I am forced to wonder if it makes it a conspiracy theory since the very foundation of it is that nobody wants to probe it because of their faith. Well, anyways, TruthSurge makes some pretty educational series and this one has been and continues to be quite a joy to watch. I suppose I should be watching some more videos taking the opposing view though, just to try to keep a good perspective (and because I should probably be skeptical of everything I see/read/hear on the internets). Anyways, here's the first episode of the series, please check it out.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2012, 08:52 PM
RE: Excavating the Empty Tomb
Not trying to shoot this down, but this is not the first time someone has claimed to find Jesus' family tomb....

A man's greatest pitfall is none other than himself. For only he can dig himself a hole he cannot get out of.
16-04-2012, 09:31 PM
(16-04-2012 08:52 PM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  Not trying to shoot this down, but this is not the first time someone has claimed to find Jesus' family tomb....
Actually, the title is quite misleading. The little youtube series is really about "proving" parts of the New Testament (namely the Gospel of Mark) are fictitious.
16-04-2012, 10:29 PM
(16-04-2012 09:31 PM)SaviourSelf Wrote:  
(16-04-2012 08:52 PM)AnotherSinner Wrote:  Not trying to shoot this down, but this is not the first time someone has claimed to find Jesus' family tomb....
Actually, the title is quite misleading. The little youtube series is really about "proving" parts of the New Testament (namely the Gospel of Mark) are fictitious.
....People have been working on doing that for years. Whatever floats the boat I guess...

A man's greatest pitfall is none other than himself. For only he can dig himself a hole he cannot get out of.
21-04-2012, 12:24 PM
(16-04-2012 09:31 PM)SaviourSelf Wrote:  
A book full of misinformation would still be an non-credible source, even if you could prove some small part of it.

Besides, we all know that the stories in the bible were merely copied from handed down stories that had been circulating the area for hundreds and thousands of years.
21-04-2012, 12:45 PM
The Gospel of Mark, and the many other gospels, (Thomas, Mary, Peter, Judas), are not "historical" documents. "Gospels" are a literary genre, or "text" which were developed for, and used in worship services, to "proclaim" the "euvangelion", (or "good news"). In the years about 70-100 CE, NO ONE read much of anything. Most were illiterate, and there were simply no texts around to read, (no library). Onlybthe rich could read, and only the rich, educated top members of the cult in question, ever read anything. The gospels were ONLY used, for worship services. They are "liturical artifacts". They are "propgangda" (in the non-pagorative sense). Our science based world view makes it very difficult to understand that sort of literature. They had no such worldview. The original Gospel of Mark, ended without a resurrection, and only the empty tomb, (rather poetic actually). Trying to "prove" a mythological text is a waste of time. These people are like the people looking for Noah's ark. The Flood story was an appropriation of the Gilgamesh Epic. There never was an ark. It's a myth. The same is true of the resurrection myths. They got them from the many resurrection stories floating around at the time. Are they making videos about find the tomb of Athena ?

Jesus was dumped in a common grave with other criminals. All the resurrection stories, (in each of the 4 commonly accepted gospels in the present "canon"), differ, in many important details. They are liturgical proclamation of faith. NOT HISTORY.

They're wasting their time.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
Isaiah 45:7 "I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things" (KJV)