Excersize after accident

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-05-2017, 06:57 PM
Excersize after accident
So some might have seen my thread where I talked about my ziplining accident.
But TLDR is I crashed into the landing platform at full speed back first. My back is not broken but I got a torn muscle.
Full story here if interested: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...fun-though

So since yesterday I am okay walking without crutches, very slow, with a limp.
The pain has gone down significantly but the feeling hasn't returned yet. I am still a bit swollen and I still have big ugly bruising all over the place.
But over all I am healing well and pretty fast.

When I researched this (because doctors here are shit and my doctor only said "i can't help you" before prescribing a medication to me that could have well killed me) I found out that a torn muscle takes about 3-12 weeks to heal. I am about 1.5 weeks in now.

Since I can walk slowly, I figure maybe I can start with some very light exercise next week. I would like to go back into the gym but don't think that I can do any of the machines there at all because I cannot currently lean on anything without pain. So there is that. I cannot really bend over either.

So I wonder if any of the sport nuts here have some good ideas for exercise that is light. The muscle is in the lower back so I can probably train arms and upper back. I can do things with my legs too.
No can do:
* Bend my back
* Lean on things
* Lift my legs very high
* Lay on my back on hard surface (I can carefully lay on my back in bed though)

Any advice is appreciated, I want to get fit but I want to be careful with my torn muscle. I cannot afford up to 3 months of no execise at all. Trying to train towards a 7k mudrun and generally trying to get fitter and lose weight. Not so easy when I cannot move at all.

PS: Crutches have done a good thing to my arm muscles already and that only took a week Big Grin

Anyway
Thank you for anybody who has some good tips.

Cheers

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-05-2017, 08:09 PM
RE: Excersize after accident
I got nothing but a Hug for you. I know zilch about physical therapy.
23-05-2017, 02:17 PM
Actually my muscle has been stabbing me so hard and frequently today. I should maybe wait a bit longer after all

[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
23-05-2017, 02:30 PM
You could stick with isolation exercises like spider curls. Just search for isolation exercises by muscle group and see what you think you can still do.

'Murican Canadian
23-05-2017, 03:05 PM
(23-05-2017 02:17 PM)Leerob Wrote:  Actually my muscle has been stabbing me so hard and frequently today. I should maybe wait a bit longer after all

I think sometimes honoring your body and taking a break when you need to can help you heal faster and is more beneficial in the long run.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
23-05-2017, 05:45 PM
Gentle motion (like moderate walking) is probably your best bet. It is annoying to have to wait for something to heal, but I've learned the hard way that that's better.

One thing you might try, if a doctor says it's okay and you have access, is a bit of exercise in a pool. Not swimming, but water-walking or water aerobics.
24-05-2017, 02:39 AM
If you can ask for some general advice from a physio therapist, as there have been some changes in attitude about what you can/can't do and how quickly.

I blew out my ACL many moons ago, and just kept off it the entire time. Let my whole work out regime go to pot as well, but in saying that once I could walk it was a "slowly/surely" kind of pace and these days I'm fine. Never had surgery on, just self rehab and taking it easy when your body tells you to.

Get your rest in now, and enjoy it if you can, so when you're back to a decent level you can just try some basic exercises and slowly build back up.

"We can rebuild him, we have the technology"

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
I now sell T-Shirts Here! Please Check it out Thumbsup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
24-05-2017, 03:40 AM
What Julep said.

Keep it very gentle for a while. You don't want to do stupid stuff that will result in permanent damage.

I'm a keen runner and I tore muscles in my back a couple of years back. I kept away from anything remotely strenuous for a month before easing myself into some moderately vigorous exercise and even then I stopped when I felt any twinges.

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
27-05-2017, 09:40 AM
Thanks for the good advice. I have actually not even tried any exercise because it was a bit scary that the muscle had gone back to stabbing.
I have been using one crutch again the past few days. And today I can already do some work around the house. I am not confident that I can walk a long distance but I can be on my feet without real pain. It burns once in a while and then I just top and sit.