Excited to be apart of the community

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2013, 12:07 PM
Thumbs Up Excited to be apart of the community
Hey guys, just made a profile last night and I can't even explain how excited i am to get plugged into a community/safe haven for atheists like this.

I'm a fairly new atheist ( Ex-Christian within the last 5 months or so), and I'm becoming more and more comfortable with my beliefs every day. I don't really have a whole lot of people to talk to about my beliefs about religion as all of my family take the bible very seriously and it's impossible to bring something like my lack of belief up with them without getting the super generic "oh son you're just going through a tough time right now. God will bring you out of this valley and i know he'll change your heart" blah blah blah blah.

To be completely honest, I am fairly intimidated by TTA forum because so many people on these threads seem so damn smart Shocking But what better people to learn from than those who are directly in the line of fire fighting the good fight Big Grin

Thanks and i can't wait to talk to you guys
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Shawnzy's post
09-09-2013, 12:09 PM
RE: Excited to be apart of the community
Welcome! Glad to meet you. Don't be afraid, all sorts of people and lots of interesting characters here.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
09-09-2013, 01:26 PM

Welcome. I'm new as well - I've been an ex-Christian for a little more than a month. This is an interesting forum, and the members are kind and intelligent.

You say that your family is religious. What led you to leave Christianity?
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2013, 01:27 PM
Welcome aboard Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
09-09-2013, 01:48 PM
Welcome and congrats! You are not alone in being intimidated. There are so many well read members here. It gets easier though.

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
09-09-2013, 02:34 PM
Excited to have you here.
09-09-2013, 05:52 PM
Thanks guys, feelin the love
09-09-2013, 05:54 PM
Just don't forget your helmet!

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
09-09-2013, 06:00 PM
Welcome aboard.

This is good place to have your ideology, your thought-processes and opinions challenged.

Especially this opinion...

(09-09-2013 12:07 PM)Shawnzy Wrote:  ...
To be completely honest, I am fairly intimidated by TTA forum because so many people on these threads seem so damn smart

(09-09-2013 01:26 PM)Philosoraptor Wrote:  ...
This is an interesting forum, and the members are kind and intelligent.

We haz Hughsie and Ferdie.

Tongue

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
09-09-2013, 06:35 PM
(09-09-2013 01:26 PM)Philosoraptor Wrote:  You say that your family is religious. What led you to leave Christianity?

There were a few reasons.

When I was a Christian, especially towards the end of my run with Christianity, i took it so seriously. I was a dyed in the wool true blue blue believer. I prayed about everything, from what to say to people while evangelizing to which road to take home from work or school ( i know i sound like a maniac haha). But I found out the more i prayed and took it seriously I just began to see that i wasn't receiving divine intervention, I was trying to fit a sqaure peg (my real life) into a circular hole (the spiritual life i was trying to have). It became so painfully obvious that I was hearing and feeling what i wanted to feel when i got 'answers' from god.

Also, I finally decided that I was a more moral person than the god of the bible. My sister came out of the closet as a lesbian a while back, and i was faced with some serious cognitive dissonance. I had my pastor/parents telling me that you just gotta love people, yet we speak on behalf of a God who can't wait to send my sister to Hell for a something that isn't even her choice.

Those are just my main points, there are a lot of others. HOWEVER life is much better now with a clear mind free from the weight of religion. Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Shawnzy's post