Excommunication=confiscation of property?
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2012, 05:52 PM
Excommunication=confiscation of property?
My cycling friend just lost his father. It happened suddenly and unexpectedly. But while talking about his dad, it came out that his dad had been excommunicated from the Dutch Reformed Church. We live near Holland, Michigan and there is a large number of DRC in our area. His dad was a fine man who worked hard to help kids in his career as a school administrator. He was one who was in it for the kids and not his ego. But he did not agree with everything in the church. When they excommunicated him, he had to get a lawyer and travel to New York for a hearing. But excommunication was not the whole of it. They also were confiscating his property. Apparently he was able to keep his property though. My question is...can the church attach your property in this way? That sounds like a cult to me. I mean I could see the Scientology kooks doing something like that. I tried finding information on-line but to no avail. Anyone with some answers out there?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Long_Strider's post
31-05-2012, 10:18 PM
RE: Excommunication=confiscation of property?
Wrong place but that is just wrong..

Under Repair.
31-05-2012, 11:28 PM
Churches do a lot of horrible things when it has to do with people who have been in the church for a long time leaving. Some people have given a bit too much to the church and often find the cost of leaving insufferable. Hopefully you can get a good case and make some reperations for this as there's not likely much legal reasons for them to be able to confiscate his property due to his excommunication. Let's just hope he hasn't signed some crazy document.

Also thread has been moved

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
01-06-2012, 06:44 AM
Hey, Strider.

Well in the strictest sense, the DRC is huge and not a cult.

It would seem that the law stated pretty clearly that they didn't have the right to confiscate his property because he won the case. I'd be curious to know why they felt that they had a right.

The question isn't can the "church" (too broad a term) try to confiscate your property. The question is, why did the DRC try to confiscate his property? There must be some relationship between all members of the DRC and the church or between certain members of the church and the DRC. Figure out what that is and you have your answer.

Quote:In the Reformed churches, excommunication has generally been seen as the culmination of church discipline, which is one of the three marks of the Church. The Westminster Confession of Faith sees it as the third step after "admonition" and "suspension from the sacrament of the Lord's Supper for a season."[14] Yet, John Calvin argues in his Institutes of the Christian Religion
that church censures do not "consign those who are excommunicated to
perpetual ruin and damnation," but are designed to induce repentance,
reconciliation and restoration to communion. Calvin notes, "though
ecclesiastical discipline does not allow us to be on familiar and
intimate terms with excommunicated persons, still we ought to strive by
all possible means to bring them to a better mind, and recover them to
the fellowship and unity of the Church."[15]

Didn't see anything about property.

I saw something about clergy being excommunicated, put to death and their property confiscated in Poland for heresy at the time of the Reformation, but that's it.

Did he live in a manse or something? Was he a minister?

Custodian of church property? Did he sign some kind of freaky contract?

Can you ask your cycling friend what the court case was about?

Peace and Love and Empathy,