Excuse me! But there appears to be a Bible in my politics!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-10-2011, 04:36 PM
Excuse me! But there appears to be a Bible in my politics!
I was just interested in how religious parties do in other countries. I know here in NZ they do very poorly. Which is great haha. Here's some information on the 2005 and 2008 New Zealand General Elections

2005 General Election: Parties with a Christian backing (Destiny New Zealand and the Christian Heritage Party) gained a total of 0.74% of the vote (Destiny 0.62%; CHP 0.12%).

2008 General Election: By this point Destiny had disbanded due to lower than expected support, and the CHP had disbanded after its leader, Graham Capill, had been convicted and jailed for sex crimes against girls under the age of twelve. However several other new Christian parties had been formed: The Kiwi Party; New Zealand Pacific Party and the Family Party. Collectively they gained 1.26% of the vote ( Kiwi Party 0.54%, New Zealand Pacific 0.37% and Family Party 0.35%).

Since then all three Christian Parties have disbanded: The Pacific Party after the conviction and jailing of it's leader, Taito Philip Field, for bribery and corruption, and the Kiwi and Family Parties due to their lack of support.

The Conservative Party of New Zealand has been formed as the only Christian party in New Zealand to contest this year's general election. Let's hope it doesn't even make it past the 0.5% of the vote required to be able to claim back the $1000 registration fee.

"Sin, young man, is when you treat people as things" - Granny Weatherwax in Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-10-2011, 06:28 PM
RE: Excuse me! But there appears to be a Bible in my politics!
And those are the BEST religious political parties? So, are the vast majority of your politicians atheist or agnostic?

In the US, you do not have a chance in hell of winning unless you at least claim to be some denomination of Catholicism.
26-10-2011, 01:29 AM
(25-10-2011 06:28 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  And those are the BEST religious political parties? So, are the vast majority of your politicians atheist or agnostic?

In the US, you do not have a chance in hell of winning unless you at least claim to be some denomination of Catholicism.

It's a wee bit of a mix I guess. Most swear secular oaths of office, however some swear on the Bible or Koran. One of our Prime Ministers, Julius Vogel, was Jewish and swore on the Old Testament while wearing a yarmulke. Helen Clark, our PM from 1999 - 2008 and our current PM, John Key, are both professed agnostics. None of the other political parties have religious affiliations.

"Sin, young man, is when you treat people as things" - Granny Weatherwax in Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett.
26-10-2011, 01:11 PM
(26-10-2011 01:29 AM)Mad Prophet Wrote:  Helen Clark, our PM from 1999 - 2008 and our current PM, John Key, are both professed agnostics.

To this American, that's mind-blowing. Out of 535 members of Congress, I know of precisely one who openly acknowledges being an atheist or agnostic. As for the Presidency, pigs will fly and fish will sing before that happens.

Makes me want to move to NZ.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
26-10-2011, 08:37 PM
(26-10-2011 01:11 PM)cufflink Wrote:  
(26-10-2011 01:29 AM)Mad Prophet Wrote:  Helen Clark, our PM from 1999 - 2008 and our current PM, John Key, are both professed agnostics.

To this American, that's mind-blowing. Out of 535 members of Congress, I know of precisely one who openly acknowledges being an atheist or agnostic. As for the Presidency, pigs will fly and fish will sing before that happens.

Makes me want to move to NZ.

It seems like a bit of a sad state of affairs over your way :/ Hopefully though you'll get sorted one day Smile In the meantime come over! Bring the whole whanau haha