Exercise in prison.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2012, 10:59 PM
Exercise in prison.
This topic has been discussed on a message board I previously posted on.

When it comes to convicts / prisoners exercise options, is it appropriate that they have the resources to do resistance training? Should prisoners do mostly body weight / cardio vascular work?

There's obviously a lot of variables to look at and asses. It could possibly worke out algerbraicly. I thought I'd kick off a discussion though.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2012, 11:16 PM
RE: Exercise in prison.
(24-02-2012 10:59 PM)Aussie Wrote:  This topic has been discussed on a message board I previously posted on.

There's obviously a lot of variables to look at and asses.

I prefer looking at the latter more than the former.
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
24-02-2012, 11:33 PM
Na, make em fat, easer to catch/bigger target.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Karl's post
25-02-2012, 01:49 PM
Only after having the "clockwork orange" treatment Confused

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
25-02-2012, 02:25 PM (This post was last modified: 25-02-2012 02:37 PM by craniumonempty.)
(24-02-2012 11:16 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(24-02-2012 10:59 PM)Aussie Wrote:  This topic has been discussed on a message board I previously posted on.

There's obviously a lot of variables to look at and asses.

I prefer looking at the latter more than the former.

asses?

I say yoga. Well, that might hurt in-prison rape crime, so maybe not.... Hmm, yeah, resistance training probably isn't the best in prison.

I know some people that have been in prisons in the States, and the person that went to prison in Texas was smaller and didn't have a problem with food, but the larger guy that went to prison in Tennessee had a problem with the amount of food. I think they all got diets for the same weight class there or the prison was saving money or something. He didn't even do any weight training, just reading mostly. Well, both read a hell of a lot... guess they get a lot of time in prison. Either way, if they have to do a cardio program the food should match the body weight, but I think it would be good otherwise.

.. hmm, I was just thinking. I should have had him weigh himself and do a body fat test when he got out to see the difference. Maybe it was better for him, but now I won't know.. poo

edit: oh, the smaller guy was skinny and about 5'10 or 11 and the larger guy was 6'2 and all muscle (well, last I saw him, haven't seen him since he went in and he's already been out for a few years). There was probably a huge weight difference.

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
25-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Inmates shouldn't be on any excercise program at all. They should not have access to weights, or any other type of excercise equipment.

There is plenty of excercise to be had weeding gardens, hauling rocks, and building homes. Inmates should be so tired at the end of the day that they wouldn't even consider "excercise."

Every inmate in the system should be growing food, building shelters, and any other activity that would both feed themselves and also feed and shelter the community that they have wronged. 12 hour work days, as well as responsible for making their own meals. A cleanliness regimin for both their hygene as well as the prison where they reside. Any and all repairs and maintenance of said prison.

I was a jail guard for a short time. The inmates had nothing to do, and spent their entire days being lazy. With the exception of the few who had "jobs" (that were 6 or 8 hours a day, and had ZERO standards for doing them well) these guys were forced into a position of laziness and had no means to feel a sense of satisfaction or acomplishment.

There is no rehabilitation in the current system. That's because we have to "respect inmates rights" and not treat them like slaves. I have never understood how being forced to work to pay your debt is the same as slavery. Slaves were (and still are to this very day) beaten, underfed, and treated with cruelty beyond what most of us can even comprehend. When I told an inmate to get his ass out of bed and take care of his minute amount of responsibilities (ie. cleaning his room, like a child) and he told me "I ain't no slave" it was all I could do to not beat him senseless.

So there should be no such thing as excercise in prison. The excercise they get should be a by-product of work.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 5 users Like Stark Raving's post
25-02-2012, 03:50 PM
Short answer: No

Long Answer: Sorry this may sound hard but I do not think that prisoners should get equipment for any kind of training. When they commited a crime and got caught, they lost any rights to do or have things they like. I still remember my brother, when he was in jail, and he would complain that it is so boring in the cell all the time. I would just tell him that he brought this over himself. And btw he got very muscular without all the equipment, he worked out in the cell.
Yes, they still have their basic human rights but they lost all other rights (including those for a proper work out).

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-02-2012, 05:06 PM
(25-02-2012 03:40 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Inmates shouldn't be on any excercise program at all. They should not have access to weights, or any other type of excercise equipment.

There is plenty of excercise to be had weeding gardens, hauling rocks, and building homes. Inmates should be so tired at the end of the day that they wouldn't even consider "excercise."

Every inmate in the system should be growing food, building shelters, and any other activity that would both feed themselves and also feed and shelter the community that they have wronged. 12 hour work days, as well as responsible for making their own meals. A cleanliness regimin for both their hygene as well as the prison where they reside. Any and all repairs and maintenance of said prison.

I was a jail guard for a short time. The inmates had nothing to do, and spent their entire days being lazy. With the exception of the few who had "jobs" (that were 6 or 8 hours a day, and had ZERO standards for doing them well) these guys were forced into a position of laziness and had no means to feel a sense of satisfaction or acomplishment.

There is no rehabilitation in the current system. That's because we have to "respect inmates rights" and not treat them like slaves. I have never understood how being forced to work to pay your debt is the same as slavery. Slaves were (and still are to this very day) beaten, underfed, and treated with cruelty beyond what most of us can even comprehend. When I told an inmate to get his ass out of bed and take care of his minute amount of responsibilities (ie. cleaning his room, like a child) and he told me "I ain't no slave" it was all I could do to not beat him senseless.

So there should be no such thing as excercise in prison. The excercise they get should be a by-product of work.

Somewhere along the line the old Chain-gang mentality was done away with, probably because of dicks like this who abused their power:

But if there were the right protocols in place, it seems like it would behoove our society to put criminals to work. Oh wait, we've already done that:

[Image: United-States-Congress.jpg]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
25-02-2012, 05:17 PM
Good topic, and I wholly agree with Stark. Put prisoners to work, give them a sense of accomplishment. The only thing I would add to it would be make them go to school too. No choice, pass or fail go to school. Disrupt the class and spend two days hauling a rock up a hill. Get good grades and be rewarded with easier jobs.

The reward and punishment ratio is way off. Do a crime and all you do is time? Time is something the justice system can't even get right. In canada you're likely to spend more time in jail for selling pot than you are for murder. WTF.
Then while in jail you learn nothing, plus now you have a criminal record, soooo... might as well do crime because the only other option is a job that your parole officer gets you where minimum wage is not even likely and once your parole is up so's the job... rehabilitation technique? Jail is more likely to create better criminals then rehabilitated ones.

Also I am moving this thread.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
25-02-2012, 09:37 PM (This post was last modified: 25-02-2012 09:41 PM by GirlyMan.)
(25-02-2012 03:40 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Inmates shouldn't be on any excercise program at all. They should not have access to weights, or any other type of excercise equipment.

Yeah, I mean unless you want to make them even fiercer. ... let 'em do cardio, cardio ain't scary.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.