Existence: What the fuck is going on?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-03-2015, 01:18 AM (This post was last modified: 27-03-2015 01:23 AM by Pickup_shonuff.)
Existence: What the fuck is going on?
It seems as though the more time that slips from under my feet, the more fragile I feel, everything saturated by the realization that I am either incredibly blessed or lucky---to no credit of my own---and that this blessed luck is bound to eventually burn out. My life is consumed by the thought of tomorrow, for at the moment I decide to reflect on today, all I can see is yesterday. What am I? Who am I? Where am I? Why do I find my feet on this dirt at this precise time in the history of the world? I look at my cats, the other organisms around me: what do they perceive? What do they think? I read the ancient poets and philosophers, and each, from the Sumerians to the Greeks, from the Persians to the Europeans of the enlightenment, has its distinctive voices that sing one harmony: the comical and tragic cruelty of man's plight, his futile search to find solid ground upon which to lay his head. True, many find the semblance of it in one form or another, be it wine, philosophy, science, philanthropy, and a million other tasks that humans set themselves upon in the name of higher purpose, whether that be identified as sensual pleasure, reclusive retreat, a life of virtue, or any other manner of living a person finds suitable. For myself though, I feel that the truth will set me free... yet what is the truth, and why does it matter? Is the idea of truth and/or my obligation to it confined to the illusion that makes up the better part of my human experience?

What does it mean to exist? Nothing is static... except for that class of abstractions we designate laws and principles. Everything else is constantly in flux. The moment I say "that _____," it has already changed in time and in space. I am changing, aging, hurled along in orbit around the Sun for which I can only hope to make the journey another 50 or so times (as I would then be approaching 80), hurled through these dimensions like in a dream, the images of the past still in my mushy lump of tissue as sights and sounds that I once lived... they were real. But what are they now? Are thoughts real? Do they exist? It seems impossible to deny. But how do they exist? How does the world of solid objects with definite properties throughout this eternal succession of change exist in contrast to the world of infinitesimally small particles separated by relatively great amounts of space, though these are "simply" manifestations of energy fields dancing a reactionary tango according to universal laws that evolved, apparently, as a result of more basic laws, or perhaps a chaotic lottery, itself something of a law for potentiality; that potentiality itself only self-recognized NOW, as everything that ever happens happens now. What does it mean to say that anything around us, or in us, as it appears either to perception or conception, exists?

I don't find reality simply breathtaking and mindbogglingly messed up. I also find it terrifying. I came from nothing and to nothing I shall return, and everything around me that I can identify also appears to be nothing, for a moment later it is something slightly different, and that as well, et cetera ad infinitum. Ah, infinity. Like nothing...but everything. I see colors, smell perfumes, enjoy life immensely... but soon, and I mean soon, it will be gone. I will be gone. And none of it will ever be again within my purview of experience. Once dead, always dead. Perhaps not, and I can't say I'd necessarily mind waking up at some point in the future, but then again, I'm one of the privileged ones and I don't doubt many would find my wishes quite disagreeable. On top of that, what would it mean to be resurrected? How could I be "me"? Are we to believe that we, as conceived individual selves, lacked any existence for eternity, or that we wake up again and again in the now but without memory?

So, I presume my mind will dissolve forever and my atoms will return to the eco-system from which they came to be recycled as other products of the environment seen through the eyes and brain of... a worm, rat, a bird, or perhaps another person like me, thinking, "What the fuck is going on?"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Pickup_shonuff's post
27-03-2015, 02:03 AM
RE: Existence: What the fuck is going on?
I dunno. Want a peanut?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
27-03-2015, 04:20 AM
(27-03-2015 01:18 AM)Pickup_shonuff Wrote:  It seems as though the more time that slips from under my feet, the more fragile I feel, everything saturated by the realization that I am either incredibly blessed or lucky---to no credit of my own---and that this blessed luck is bound to eventually burn out. My life is consumed by the thought of tomorrow, for at the moment I decide to reflect on today, all I can see is yesterday. What am I? Who am I? Where am I? Why do I find my feet on this dirt at this precise time in the history of the world? I look at my cats, the other organisms around me: what do they perceive? What do they think? I read the ancient poets and philosophers, and each, from the Sumerians to the Greeks, from the Persians to the Europeans of the enlightenment, has its distinctive voices that sing one harmony: the comical and tragic cruelty of man's plight, his futile search to find solid ground upon which to lay his head. True, many find the semblance of it in one form or another, be it wine, philosophy, science, philanthropy, and a million other tasks that humans set themselves upon in the name of higher purpose, whether that be identified as sensual pleasure, reclusive retreat, a life of virtue, or any other manner of living a person finds suitable. For myself though, I feel that the truth will set me free... yet what is the truth, and why does it matter? Is the idea of truth and/or my obligation to it confined to the illusion that makes up the better part of my human experience?

What does it mean to exist? Nothing is static... except for that class of abstractions we designate laws and principles. Everything else is constantly in flux. The moment I say "that _____," it has already changed in time and in space. I am changing, aging, hurled along in orbit around the Sun for which I can only hope to make the journey another 50 or so times (as I would then be approaching 80), hurled through these dimensions like in a dream, the images of the past still in my mushy lump of tissue as sights and sounds that I once lived... they were real. But what are they now? Are thoughts real? Do they exist? It seems impossible to deny. But how do they exist? How does the world of solid objects with definite properties throughout this eternal succession of change exist in contrast to the world of infinitesimally small particles separated by relatively great amounts of space, though these are "simply" manifestations of energy fields dancing a reactionary tango according to universal laws that evolved, apparently, as a result of more basic laws, or perhaps a chaotic lottery, itself something of a law for potentiality; that potentiality itself only self-recognized NOW, as everything that ever happens happens now. What does it mean to say that anything around us, or in us, as it appears either to perception or conception, exists?

I don't find reality simply breathtaking and mindbogglingly messed up. I also find it terrifying. I came from nothing and to nothing I shall return, and everything around me that I can identify also appears to be nothing, for a moment later it is something slightly different, and that as well, et cetera ad infinitum. Ah, infinity. Like nothing...but everything. I see colors, smell perfumes, enjoy life immensely... but soon, and I mean soon, it will be gone. I will be gone. And none of it will ever be again within my purview of experience. Once dead, always dead. Perhaps not, and I can't say I'd necessarily mind waking up at some point in the future, but then again, I'm one of the privileged ones and I don't doubt many would find my wishes quite disagreeable. On top of that, what would it mean to be resurrected? How could I be "me"? Are we to believe that we, as conceived individual selves, lacked any existence for eternity, or that we wake up again and again in the now but without memory?

So, I presume my mind will dissolve forever and my atoms will return to the eco-system from which they came to be recycled as other products of the environment seen through the eyes and brain of... a worm, rat, a bird, or perhaps another person like me, thinking, "What the fuck is going on?"

Well, geesh, pretty much all these thoughts have crossed my mind. Funny that, I thought about this as a teenager, then put it aside, and as I get older they creep back into my brain. I don't dwell on them though, and I don't think there can be any "resurrection", but I do believe that there is no waste in nature, everything gets recycled in a fragmented form, so there is that.

You'll never figure out wtf is going on. Just enjoy your colors and perfumes to the fullest. The fact that many of us feel compelled to keep dwelling on all these questions is what caused religions to emerge IMO - attempts at making sense of it all, offering explanations where there are none to be had.

The older you get, the shorter your future becomes, the shorter also the past looks. The only way to make them both look longer again is to keep adding experiences... so change up your colors and perfumes a bit, relax and enjoy.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 4 users Like Dom's post
27-03-2015, 04:48 AM
I enjoyed reading that stream of consciousness.

I guess it's a natural consequence of well... consciousness Smile

Answer: 42

Tongue

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
27-03-2015, 07:05 AM
I don't think I'll ever understand why anybody would post the same long screed in multiple places. I think I'm glad I don't understand.

http://atheistforums.org/thread-32357.html

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
27-03-2015, 07:16 AM
"And sometime between the time you arrive
and the time you go,
may lie a reason you were alive,
but you'll never know."
-Jackson Browne, For a Dancer

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
27-03-2015, 09:54 AM
(27-03-2015 07:05 AM)unfogged Wrote:  I don't think I'll ever understand why anybody would post the same long screed in multiple places. I think I'm glad I don't understand.

Because there are different people on each forum who post in the philosophy section?
27-03-2015, 09:59 AM
I don't think I'll ever understand why people post on pages to only basically say, "Why would anyone post this so as to get others to read it and make a response... such as I am doing to ask my stupid question?"
27-03-2015, 10:29 AM
(27-03-2015 09:54 AM)Pickup_shonuff Wrote:  
(27-03-2015 07:05 AM)unfogged Wrote:  I don't think I'll ever understand why anybody would post the same long screed in multiple places. I think I'm glad I don't understand.

Because there are different people on each forum who post in the philosophy section?

(27-03-2015 09:59 AM)Pickup_shonuff Wrote:  I don't think I'll ever understand why people post on pages to only basically say, "Why would anyone post this so as to get others to read it and make a response... such as I am doing to ask my stupid question?"

In most cases where somebody posts a wall of text on multiple sites they are not at all interested in discussion, they just want to spew their views in as many places as possible. That is the mindset I am questioning. If that isn't your intent then I'm sorry if I jumped to a conclusion.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post
27-03-2015, 10:33 AM
(27-03-2015 01:18 AM)Pickup_shonuff Wrote:  Where am I?

Wherever you go, there you are. Thumbsup

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 6 users Like Bucky Ball's post