Existence: What the fuck is going on?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-03-2015, 10:59 AM
RE: Existence: What the fuck is going on?
No need to breed the seed of this thinking.

Alliteration is much more fun to do.

Live and then die. It is the atheist's creed. Emotions are excess baggage and stoicism the goal. Ponderances of cosmic existence, relevance, importance and belly buttons share the same space-time continuum of usefulness. But, only one offers a reward and though lint be a humble one at least it's tangible.

You must be strong to be useless, stoic to have no purpose and, most of all, already dead to glean meaning from life.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-03-2015, 07:13 PM
You're making this more complicated than it needs to be. You're part of the energy of the universe, leave it at that and simply live.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
28-03-2015, 07:34 PM (This post was last modified: 28-03-2015 07:37 PM by Pickup_shonuff.)
(28-03-2015 07:13 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  You're making this more complicated than it needs to be. You're part of the energy of the universe, leave it at that and simply live.
Hey, it's not my fault that energy of the universe turns out to be complicated stuff and that a part of it is driven to dwell on itself!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-03-2015, 07:51 PM
I love peanuts!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
28-03-2015, 08:40 PM
(28-03-2015 07:51 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I love peanuts!

I'm eating a Peanut Buster Parfait as I write this.

Go on ... DQ is just down the street somewhere ... I know ya wanna ...

Evil_monster

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
[+] 2 users Like Free's post
29-03-2015, 12:08 AM
Maybe you'll become a Deist, like me. Is that really where you're going with this thread...hmmm?

jk!

Big Grin

Be true to yourself. Heart
29-03-2015, 06:09 AM
(29-03-2015 12:08 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Maybe you'll become a Deist, like me. Is that really where you're going with this thread...hmmm?

jk!

Big Grin
I know you've said that your faith helps relieve some of the anxieties for you, but I just can't see the cash-value of the deity concept for these existential issues. It still doesn't resolve the apparent meaninglessness of life, and though it may give one a sense of purpose in that it allows us to hope that all of this "machinery" is working towards a goal, I can't see how my insignificant life span makes the slightest difference to any cosmic history... Maybe you'll elaborate a bit more on the specific benefits, Deidre?
29-03-2015, 09:24 AM
(29-03-2015 06:09 AM)Pickup_shonuff Wrote:  Maybe you'll elaborate a bit more on the specific benefits, Deidre?

You get peanuts Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
29-03-2015, 11:21 AM
(29-03-2015 06:09 AM)Pickup_shonuff Wrote:  
(29-03-2015 12:08 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Maybe you'll become a Deist, like me. Is that really where you're going with this thread...hmmm?

jk!

Big Grin
I know you've said that your faith helps relieve some of the anxieties for you, but I just can't see the cash-value of the deity concept for these existential issues. It still doesn't resolve the apparent meaninglessness of life, and though it may give one a sense of purpose in that it allows us to hope that all of this "machinery" is working towards a goal, I can't see how my insignificant life span makes the slightest difference to any cosmic history... Maybe you'll elaborate a bit more on the specific benefits, Deidre?

Well, first...we give meaning to life. I don't believe in the Abrahamic 'version' of a deity, in which a deity is seen as creating each person with a special 'soul,' designed to carry out the deeds of the deity. Or to even 'glorify' the deity. Rather, we give meaning to life in how we approach others, serve others, etc. Without our assigning some type of meaning to life, yes...in and of itself, life as it stands, seems and perhaps IS meaningless. But, maybe too it all depends on what we consider 'meaning.' You authored a book recently, and to me, there is meaning for you and others, in that endeavor. Otherwise, why did you do it? So, there had to be a reason ...a motivation...behind your desire to write the book in the first place. I think when we get away from the Abrahamic 'God,' we can apply reason to how we view a God, inside of our worldview. Truthfully, there are days when i feel atheism still makes the most sense, logically. Deism however, offers me the ability to believe and extend my imagination to what a potential deity might be like, without the trappings of dogma, etc.

Having said all of that, faith is very much an emotional 'sell.' I think if I'm honest, I spent most of my life as a theist which shaped how I view the world, even after abandoning religion. Atheism, despite having more atheists for friends than theists, is still relatively new to me. Perhaps I will always 'need' something more than my own strength and my own logic to help me grapple with everyday stresses and struggles. Being brought up with faith in a devoutly religious household definitely rendered me weaker in some ways. I wonder how I'd view the world now, had I never been introduced to religion in the first place, and envy those who grew up without religion, for they had to find their way without being told...'this is the way.' I'd say I'm making my own way, now...but it hasn't been easy coming from a strong theist background. Hope this makes sense?

Be true to yourself. Heart
29-03-2015, 11:44 AM
(29-03-2015 11:21 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Well, first...we give meaning to life. I don't believe in the Abrahamic 'version' of a deity, in which a deity is seen as creating each person with a special 'soul,' designed to carry out the deeds of the deity. Or to even 'glorify' the deity. Rather, we give meaning to life in how we approach others, serve others, etc. Without our assigning some type of meaning to life, yes...in and of itself, life as it stands, seems and perhaps IS meaningless. But, maybe too it all depends on what we consider 'meaning.' You authored a book recently, and to me, there is meaning for you and others, in that endeavor. Otherwise, why did you do it? So, there had to be a reason ...a motivation...behind your desire to write the book in the first place. I think when we get away from the Abrahamic 'God,' we can apply reason to how we view a God, inside of our worldview. Truthfully, there are days when i feel atheism still makes the most sense, logically. Deism however, offers me the ability to believe and extend my imagination to what a potential deity might be like, without the trappings of dogma, etc.
I like that. Beautifully written. I will say though, while I never get depressed over the thought that my life RIGHT NOW is not meaningful in the sense that I have set various goals in life and find fulfillment in their achievement, there is a sense that, while it doesn't depress me per se, still really sucks, that everything I hope to achieve is being a collected into a bin labeled: "To Be Incinerated."

Also, I get what you're saying about the freedom you feel in the absence of any cognitive or emotive restriction to live your life as if there is a god, to dwell on what such an entity could be like, if you so choose... in fact, as an atheist I regularly find myself taking a similar attitude, and I still get enjoyment from reading religious works, though not of any specific brand, if only because I just think of their god as the true mysteries of existence, coupled (and in my view, vulgarized and distorted to the extend that metaphor and analogy is mistaken for literal history) with mythology.
(29-03-2015 11:21 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Having said all of that, faith is very much an emotional 'sell.' I think if I'm honest, I spent most of my life as a theist which shaped how I view the world, even after abandoning religion. Atheism, despite having more atheists for friends than theists, is still relatively new to me. Perhaps I will always 'need' something more than my own strength and my own logic to help me grapple with everyday stresses and struggles. Being brought up with faith in a devoutly religious household definitely rendered me weaker in some ways. I wonder how I'd view the world now, had I never been introduced to religion in the first place, and envy those who grew up without religion, for they had to find their way without being told...'this is the way.' I'd say I'm making my own way, now...but it hasn't been easy coming from a strong theist background. Hope this makes sense?
Do you still engage in religious activities?