Existential Crisis

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Existential Crisis
Ever since I've become convinced that we as humans are simply biomechanical systems that only live to reproduce (lots of simplification here, but you know what I mean) I'm feeling a lot of existential crisis and feel that life is just boring and I'm a very trivial part of this universe. has anyone else experienced this?

BMI Calculator
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-04-2013, 11:00 PM
RE: Existential Crisis
(28-04-2013 10:34 PM)enjay Wrote:  Ever since I've become convinced that we as humans are simply biomechanical systems that only live to reproduce (lots of simplification here, but you know what I mean) I'm feeling a lot of existential crisis and feel that life is just boring and I'm a very trivial part of this universe. has anyone else experienced this?

What's the harm in being trivial with respect to 7 billion people and a universe potentially full of others.

According to the interwebz, there are 6,973,738,433 on this planet. I've completely ignored 6,973,738,424 of them today.

Scratch that... 6,973,738,423, because now I'm talking with you.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like bbeljefe's post
29-04-2013, 12:12 AM
Trivial... how? You can improve someone's life or straight up murder them. You have a tremendous amount of power.

One person isn't good enough? Okay, then what, a neighbourhood? A city? A country? A planet?

You want something that allows humanity to leave its mark on the Universe? Fine. Do your part now to create a humanity bent on empathy and reason, that will eventually prosper enough to cover the galaxy, then universe, and beyond.. be that special snowflake that starts an avalanche.
[+] 2 users Like PoolBoyG's post
29-04-2013, 01:59 AM
Yes, for about a couple of months maybe, while I was losing my religion (though still took me a while after that to admit I wasn't religious and longer still for the word "atheist" to have the positive connotations it has to my mind now). It was horrible, but passed on its own and I can honestly say I've never been happier and more at peace with the world and life than I am now that I know there is no hidden meaning or purpose.

How long have you "become convinced we're simply biomechanical systems"? Probably you just need time, it is, after all, a huge shift in mentality - from thinking you're the pinnacle of creation to realising you're just a speck of dust. But it's one of the most amazing ones I've ever undergone and it's more than worth it.

"Thus, organized religions, which put humanity at the center of some divine plan, seem to assault our dignity and intelligence. A universe without purpose should neither depress us nor suggest that our lives are purposeless. Through an awe-inspiring cosmic history we find ourselves on this remote planet in a remote corner of the universe, endowed with intelligence and self-awareness. We should not despair, but should humbly rejoice in making the most of these gifts, and celebrate our brief moment in the sun."

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 6 users Like Vera's post
29-04-2013, 12:03 PM
(29-04-2013 01:59 AM)Vera Wrote:  Yes, for about a couple of months maybe, while I was losing my religion (though still took me a while after that to admit I wasn't religious and longer still for the word "atheist" to have the positive connotations it has to my mind now). It was horrible, but passed on its own and I can honestly say I've never been happier and more at peace with the world and life than I am now that I know there is no hidden meaning or purpose.

How long have you "become convinced we're simply biomechanical systems"? Probably you just need time, it is, after all, a huge shift in mentality - from thinking you're the pinnacle of creation to realising you're just a speck of dust. But it's one of the most amazing ones I've ever undergone and it's more than worth it.

"Thus, organized religions, which put humanity at the center of some divine plan, seem to assault our dignity and intelligence. A universe without purpose should neither depress us nor suggest that our lives are purposeless. Through an awe-inspiring cosmic history we find ourselves on this remote planet in a remote corner of the universe, endowed with intelligence and self-awareness. We should not despair, but should humbly rejoice in making the most of these gifts, and celebrate our brief moment in the sun."

I haven't just lost my religion, I've been an atheist since I was 10-11 and I'm almost 24 now. So it cannot be a transitional phase related to religion.

BMI Calculator
29-04-2013, 12:04 PM
(29-04-2013 12:12 AM)poolboyg88 Wrote:  Trivial... how? You can improve someone's life or straight up murder them. You have a tremendous amount of power.

One person isn't good enough? Okay, then what, a neighbourhood? A city? A country? A planet?

You want something that allows humanity to leave its mark on the Universe? Fine. Do your part now to create a humanity bent on empathy and reason, that will eventually prosper enough to cover the galaxy, then universe, and beyond.. be that special snowflake that starts an avalanche.

That's a beautiful point.

BMI Calculator
29-04-2013, 12:12 PM
So what does that change? The flowers still bloom, beer still tastes good, friends are still friends, sex is still fun... it doesn't affect anything to know that we are but a little spec...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
29-04-2013, 12:17 PM
It comes to my mind the sad fact that religions force upon people the idea that we should be somehow special, the centre of the universe.
They infuse us with this notion of being meant for greatness, but they only steal our ability to be humble and simple, our ability to not cry for being unable to reach the unreachable. And conversely, they also snatch our greatest successes, those rare moments of our lives in which we make great things (maybe not of historical consequences, but great nonetheless) are all thanks to "god".

They rob the dignity of little specks of dust in the name of their mental farts...

Great, now I'm angry Angry

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
[+] 1 user Likes nach_in's post
29-04-2013, 12:21 PM
I have no issue with being trivial with respect to the universe. Because I am not merely a trivial existence to my wife and son. It is all about perspective. I matter in their life, and that is enough for me.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
29-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Maybe this will help:

As far as we know right now (admittedly a major qualification), we are the only lifeforms in the universe able to ask questions like Who are we? Where did we come from? Where are we going? Does life have a purpose?

And we're the only lifeforms ever to have gotten off our own planet--as far as we know.

As far as we know, WE are the greatest things the universe has produced. Little ol' us, on an average planet revolving around an average star in a galaxy of billions of stars in a universe of billions of galaxies.

That could all change tomorrow, say if the SETI Institute finds unequivocal evidence of life elsewhere in the universe with intelligence equal to or surpassing ours. Some think it's only a matter of time before our "Contact" moment. But for the time being, at least, we're the only ones.

i'd say that makes us pretty non-trivial, each and every one of us. Thumbsup

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 3 users Like cufflink's post