Existential Crisis

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2017, 04:24 PM
RE: Existential Crisis
I have never cared one way or another about your belief or non.

I value your friendship and am concerned for you and your family. You have all been through a lot the last couple of years.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Anjele's post
14-04-2017, 05:00 PM
I don't particularly care if you believe Leprechauns in striped pants and green velvet hats created the universe, you're a decent person and that's all that matters.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 4 users Like dancefortwo's post
14-04-2017, 05:00 PM
I hope that things start improving for you in a major way soon. You've been through a lot, and to do that while staying sober is an impressive achievement.

And if things get better for you and you feel that that's due to god and go back to theism, I'll still be happy, because things will be going better for you.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
14-04-2017, 05:29 PM
I wish you all the best, I hope things improve for you soon Heart

Keep fighting, you're doing so well! And massive respect for being honest with yourself about your beliefs.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
14-04-2017, 06:15 PM
(14-04-2017 12:50 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Where do I even begin?

The last couple of years have been... well... tough, to say the least.

As many of you know, I struggled with an opiate addiction for years. Last year, I lost my job (still unemployed) indirectly because of it and nearly offed myself. I did get help, and I've been clean for 13 months. More of that in a sec.

Also, many of you know, my dad has a terminal auto-immume disease which has destroyed his quality of life and has left him in habitual pain; likewise, my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer 2 years back. Thankfully, she is still in remission. My brother, a former pastor, has been shunned from churches because of his "liberal" Christian beliefs. Last August, I lost my home and all of our possessions from a flood. This has caused my family major strife as we continue to live as vagabonds until our home is rebuilt.

All of this has caused me to take a serious look at religion and God in general.

Recently, I've been faced with some devastating news which I don't feel comfortable sharing, and it too has caused me to question things.

My real questioning began last year in rehab. That's not to say that I haven't questioned my beliefs before... I've put them through the wringer... but this time, I really took a hard look at what my life had become, where it was going and how God could continue to allow all of this.

I was at an impasse of my life's figurative crossroads.

I know I've joked about it every April Fool's, but this is no joke. The first person I told was my brother and then my wife. Some more people found out, and now I've told my mom. She has been the most hurt by it, and it's hard to not feel guilty. Not that I feel guilty for denouncing Christianity, but it's the feeling guilty that I've hurt a person whom I care about and has done an immeasurable amount for me. QC has struggled with it too, but she has come to terms with it. My brother says he completely understands my decision to adopt atheism.

I know I've been the token theist around here for along time, so it was rather hard typing this; however, I feel it's important to live my life, in all aspects, according to how and what I believe.

I suppose it's been a long journey to this, and I would be dishonest in saying that TTA helped me reach this decision. I feel I would have come to accept atheism as my belief regardless if I was a part of TTA or not because of the events and questioning that led me to this. But, TTA has been a great family to me and has given me numerous resources to aid me. For that, I'm truly thankful.

Not sure where I go from here... and I'm sorry to those I've disappointed. I'm just now learning to be true to myself. I hope I can continue to do so here even with such a huge paradigm shift.

Welcome to the light. I always knew you were smart. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
14-04-2017, 06:19 PM
(14-04-2017 02:16 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Atheism is just a more mature relationship with God. Smile

And sanity is just a more mature relationship with chaos.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
14-04-2017, 06:23 PM
(14-04-2017 06:19 PM)Chas Wrote:  And sanity is just a more mature relationship with chaos.

I don't know, Charles: "It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane."

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 5 users Like Vera's post
14-04-2017, 07:14 PM
(14-04-2017 06:23 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(14-04-2017 06:19 PM)Chas Wrote:  And sanity is just a more mature relationship with chaos.

I don't know, Charles: "It is sometimes an appropriate response to reality to go insane."

Or at least challenge what we are told to be the confines of sanity a little.

“Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
Man got to sit and wonder 'why, why, why?'
Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
Man got to tell himself he understand.”

― Kurt Vonnegut, Cat's Cradle
[+] 2 users Like whateverist's post
15-04-2017, 07:01 AM
I hope all your relationships survive unscathed and remember KC...

Wink

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 9 users Like Full Circle's post
15-04-2017, 07:12 AM
It's terrible what you've gone through and for that I'm deeply sorry. Your resilience is remarkable. You never have to apologize for being who you are. I'm so happy you've seen the light, just sorry the path was/will be a tough one.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me