Existential Crisis

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2017, 01:33 AM
RE: Existential Crisis
(15-04-2017 03:30 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 02:11 PM)kim Wrote:  Not in christee land, mister! Angry Easter is a celebration of a wandering Jewish philosopher dude getting tortured and murdered by some authorities, who were paid to do it by some local Jewish politicians.

Then, he turned into a ghost. Blink
Nice story but,
How do you explain the eggs and the bunnies? What about the name Easter? Where does that come from?

When during Easter do we have ghosts and zombies? That's halloween isn't it? We celebrate Easter over here, Halloween not so much, we have Guy Fawkes instead where we get to blow shit up.

I don't think the Christian narrative fits in with the actual Easter traditions.

You no getta da point. Sure, that may be the *genesis* of the traditions. But the original meaning was lost a long time ago.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2017, 01:48 AM
(16-04-2017 01:33 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(15-04-2017 03:30 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Nice story but,
How do you explain the eggs and the bunnies? What about the name Easter? Where does that come from?

When during Easter do we have ghosts and zombies? That's halloween isn't it? We celebrate Easter over here, Halloween not so much, we have Guy Fawkes instead where we get to blow shit up.

I don't think the Christian narrative fits in with the actual Easter traditions.

You no getta da point. Sure, that may be the *genesis* of the traditions. But the original meaning was lost a long time ago.
For me Easter is about eating and giving chocolate Easter eggs.
I love chocolate and holidays and so I love Easter.

The name Easter has some historical reference, almost meaningless to me, but it has a history and it comes from the goddess Eostre.
The eggs and the bunny are part of Eastre and their history from a trivia perspective is about fertility and Spring, and matches up with the Goddess Eostre.

I see no relevance whatsoever to Christianity here. This is a pagan tradition and although I don't believe in the goddess Eostre, I do like the tradition of giving chocolate.
16-04-2017, 01:50 AM
(16-04-2017 01:48 AM)Stevil Wrote:  
(16-04-2017 01:33 AM)morondog Wrote:  You no getta da point. Sure, that may be the *genesis* of the traditions. But the original meaning was lost a long time ago.
For me Easter is about eating and giving chocolate Easter eggs.
I love chocolate and holidays and so I love Easter.

The name Easter has some historical reference, almost meaningless to me, but it has a history and it comes from the goddess Eostre.
The eggs and the bunny are part of Eastre and their history from a trivia perspective is about fertility and Spring, and matches up with the Goddess Eostre.

I see no relevance whatsoever to Christianity here. This is a pagan tradition and although I don't believe in the goddess Eostre, I do like the tradition of giving chocolate.

Oddly enough, Kim referred to herself, i.e. a being other than you Dodgy Christ, can we be a bit more pedantic in here because I feel that we're not pedantic enough.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
16-04-2017, 01:53 AM
(16-04-2017 01:50 AM)morondog Wrote:  Oddly enough, Kim referred to herself, i.e. a being other than you Dodgy Christ, can we be a bit more pedantic in here because I feel that we're not pedantic enough.
I don't see what you are getting at, nor what you are criticising me about.
But, whatever.
16-04-2017, 07:26 AM
(14-04-2017 12:50 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Where do I even begin?

The last couple of years have been... well... tough, to say the least.

As many of you know, I struggled with an opiate addiction for years. Last year, I lost my job (still unemployed) indirectly because of it and nearly offed myself. I did get help, and I've been clean for 13 months. More of that in a sec.

Also, many of you know, my dad has a terminal auto-immume disease which has destroyed his quality of life and has left him in habitual pain; likewise, my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer 2 years back. Thankfully, she is still in remission. My brother, a former pastor, has been shunned from churches because of his "liberal" Christian beliefs. Last August, I lost my home and all of our possessions from a flood. This has caused my family major strife as we continue to live as vagabonds until our home is rebuilt.

All of this has caused me to take a serious look at religion and God in general.

Recently, I've been faced with some devastating news which I don't feel comfortable sharing, and it too has caused me to question things.

My real questioning began last year in rehab. That's not to say that I haven't questioned my beliefs before... I've put them through the wringer... but this time, I really took a hard look at what my life had become, where it was going and how God could continue to allow all of this.

I was at an impasse of my life's figurative crossroads.

I know I've joked about it every April Fool's, but this is no joke. The first person I told was my brother and then my wife. Some more people found out, and now I've told my mom. She has been the most hurt by it, and it's hard to not feel guilty. Not that I feel guilty for denouncing Christianity, but it's the feeling guilty that I've hurt a person whom I care about and has done an immeasurable amount for me. QC has struggled with it too, but she has come to terms with it. My brother says he completely understands my decision to adopt atheism.

I know I've been the token theist around here for along time, so it was rather hard typing this; however, I feel it's important to live my life, in all aspects, according to how and what I believe.

I suppose it's been a long journey to this, and I would be dishonest in saying that TTA helped me reach this decision. I feel I would have come to accept atheism as my belief regardless if I was a part of TTA or not because of the events and questioning that led me to this. But, TTA has been a great family to me and has given me numerous resources to aid me. For that, I'm truly thankful.

Not sure where I go from here... and I'm sorry to those I've disappointed. I'm just now learning to be true to myself. I hope I can continue to do so here even with such a huge paradigm shift.

Suffering has driven many of us to reject the god hypothesis, not because we were "angry with god", but it brought us to the realization that the universe isn't about us, the really burdensome aspect of religion; for me, was trying to make adverse or positive things fit into a Christian narrative where god is scripting it all out comfortably within his "perfect plan".

The horrendous injustice of this narrative was moral anathema to me, I just couldn't go along with it. Letting all of this go and realizing things just are and there isn't a higher power grinding me through it's "perfect plan" whether or not I agree with it, was comforting.

I no longer had to comprehend an incomprehensible plan to make sense of life, things just were and it wasn't about me or a god, realizing this brought about an existential peace for me.

I hope you can find some peace too, go for a hike, stand on top of a mountain and take in the scenery, share it with someone else if you can. Take in those wonderful moments and treasure them, remember them.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 6 users Like TheInquisition's post
16-04-2017, 09:40 PM
Yeah, I don't believe you.

16-04-2017, 11:44 PM (This post was last modified: 17-04-2017 12:35 AM by Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver.)
(14-04-2017 12:50 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Where do I even begin?

The last couple of years have been... well... tough, to say the least.

As many of you know, I struggled with an opiate addiction for years. Last year, I lost my job (still unemployed) indirectly because of it and nearly offed myself. I did get help, and I've been clean for 13 months. More of that in a sec.

Also, many of you know, my dad has a terminal auto-immume disease which has destroyed his quality of life and has left him in habitual pain; likewise, my mom was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer 2 years back. Thankfully, she is still in remission. My brother, a former pastor, has been shunned from churches because of his "liberal" Christian beliefs. Last August, I lost my home and all of our possessions from a flood. This has caused my family major strife as we continue to live as vagabonds until our home is rebuilt.

All of this has caused me to take a serious look at religion and God in general.

Recently, I've been faced with some devastating news which I don't feel comfortable sharing, and it too has caused me to question things.

My real questioning began last year in rehab. That's not to say that I haven't questioned my beliefs before... I've put them through the wringer... but this time, I really took a hard look at what my life had become, where it was going and how God could continue to allow all of this.

I was at an impasse of my life's figurative crossroads.

I know I've joked about it every April Fool's, but this is no joke. The first person I told was my brother and then my wife. Some more people found out, and now I've told my mom. She has been the most hurt by it, and it's hard to not feel guilty. Not that I feel guilty for denouncing Christianity, but it's the feeling guilty that I've hurt a person whom I care about and has done an immeasurable amount for me. QC has struggled with it too, but she has come to terms with it. My brother says he completely understands my decision to adopt atheism.

I know I've been the token theist around here for along time, so it was rather hard typing this; however, I feel it's important to live my life, in all aspects, according to how and what I believe.

I suppose it's been a long journey to this, and I would be dishonest in saying that TTA helped me reach this decision. I feel I would have come to accept atheism as my belief regardless if I was a part of TTA or not because of the events and questioning that led me to this. But, TTA has been a great family to me and has given me numerous resources to aid me. For that, I'm truly thankful.

Not sure where I go from here... and I'm sorry to those I've disappointed. I'm just now learning to be true to myself. I hope I can continue to do so here even with such a huge paradigm shift.

I'm sorry to hear that all this has happened to you, KC, but glad to see your eyes are now open to what a lot of us have known for a long time.

Your conversion to atheism seems to parallel my own. I've had troubles and strife all my life. When I was baptized in the Christian church, I was told by a senior pastor that I was 'one like Job' - and unfortunate reference, because that is the stupidest story in the bible. Being paralleled to a man God torments on a simple dare from Satan, then justifies this by saying 'can you create the universe and everything in it? No? then fuck off' is NOT a faith builder. It left me with absolute disgust with God and His Church and made me come to this realization.

God is one of three things:

1) He's a cunt. A capricious, vengeful, sadistic, petty, uncaring, hateful, spiteful tyrant who seems to delight in the suffering and killing of others and has done nothing but be a blight, an impediment, and a tormentor of the human race and its attempts to improve the quality of life for ourselves, all other living things, and understanding how the universe works. And then of course God has the balls to demand than people appease him and praise him and tell him how wonderful he is for doing these things. And anyone who does engage in such appeasing is little more than a celestial Mafia Wife. In this case, Satan is right. Fuck God in the ass. I have no time for such a being and no one else should either.

2) He's totally incompetent. You simply can't look at the universe and see perfection if the end goal is for it to benefit humanity. The cosmos are designed more to produce black holes than life, biological systems have superfluous workarounds, unnecessary redundancies, weaknesses. Children die from cancer of the eyes. Rome burns and God does nothing but sit around playing with his dick. You're dealing with a being which should be able to forge and entire galaxy simply by thinking and He can't solve these kinds of problems? Bullshit. Go fuck yourself, God. And don't fucking try blaming this kind of shit on a 'sinful nature' or that bullshit about how there's hope because 'Jesus died on the cross for me' crap. You might sell that kind of shit to this idiot, but not with me.

3) He simply doesn't exist. By far this is the simplest and most elegant solution to all of these issues. The universe is what it is and we have only ourselves to solve these problems. If God or a god/gods do exist, it's either in a form which is not interacting with us or this universe or is so sophisticated and complex that we simply don't have the brainpower to comprehend them. Either way, belief becomes superfluous and unwarranted.

When you finally come to this kind of a realization, you'll find that all these questions simply drop by the wayside and your mind is now open to the almost limitless possibilities for what your life can be. This won't solve all of your problems overnight, but it will bring an end to trying to pound a square God into a round Reality.

I'd say you have been primed to make this kind of a leap for a while now. I can remember older posts where you talked to your son about dinosaurs and how they evolved. Already the cracks of logic were beginning to break the dam of faith holding you back and if there's any silver lining to your current predicaments, it's that you can face the future from a realistic perspective instead of living in imaginary flights of fantasy.

Anyways, I'm rambling and I'm gonna stop blowing sunshine up your ass. I hope some or all of this can be of help to you. Good luck with this and keep up posted on your comings and goings. And if you need anything, let us know.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 3 users Like Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post