Exit Strategy for Social Justice Groups

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2014, 11:32 AM
Exit Strategy for Social Justice Groups
In business, there's a term called an "exit plan". Basically, it's your plan to get out of the company after it has succeeded or failed. You always go into a new venture knowing your exit plan.

I don't know if the social justice groups out there have done that. There is a certain point where the struggle becomes nitpicking, and there are less and less issues to tackle. I believe that the many separate social justice groups are experiencing this (some more than others).

So, rather than waste everyone's time and not help people who need help now, I propose an exit plan.

In my exit plan, the social justice groups cease to see divisions such as "pro-women" or "pro-black". The groups come together for the empowerment and advancement of people in general, instead of sectarian interests that may ignore groups that need help today.

Take the influx of refugees (yes, refugees) from Guatemala. Who's championing them? Not many, or at least not enough. In the mean while, look at the massive uproar against the murder of Michael Brown, and you'll see that the "division of labor" if you will amongst these groups is not efficiently empowering and advancing those in need of advancement and empowerment.

So, in conclusion, I wish I didn't have to hear about women's rights groups, or something silly like a masculinist rights group (lol), but rather a collective human rights group, looking out for everyone.

Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-10-2014, 04:58 PM
RE: Exit Strategy for Social Justice Groups
Human rights groups do exist, but tend to be too focused on dealing with systematic abuse of people by states. They tend to be based around documents such as the the Universal Declaration of Human rights. These groups lack the focus required to deal with gender inequality, for example. I think what you are looking for are something like sex rights groups.

However, to consider the feminist mission successful is premature. In my country we have a misogynist prime minister and only one female minister. In the US the battle has moved from denying women access to abortion to denying women access to contraception. In many, most or all countries the feminist mission of establishing equality between the sexes is incomplete.

You can start your own group if you want to, but if you don't want to hear about either womens rights or mens rights you will not be able to address specific inequalities. Your mission would simply be too broad to be able to have any kind of effectiveness. In fact, your point about an exit plan is especially apt here. Your group would have no exit condition, whereas feminism does have an exit condition. I think that groups established to combat specific inequalities will tend to have an edge over groups that define themselves so broadly.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post