Exiting Faith Project

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-06-2013, 09:43 AM
Exiting Faith Project
I have read a number of gut wrenching stories, both here and from other atheist sources about adolescents as well as young adult atheists who come from religious families and whose said families disown, ostracize, throw them out of their homes, refues financial aid for school and otherwise withhold help from them because they have rejected their faith. This can have very serious consequences. As I mentioned before in a previous post, Salt Lake City has a very large population of gay and atheist teens who are homeless for this reason. A large percentage of the teen suicides in that city fall under these categories. It is very tragic.

ID like to do something about that.

I'd like to formulate what I call the Exiting Faith Project, a charity which can provide resources for young adults who are going through this in the form of a network of people who can provide financial assistance, temporary housing, possibly set up some type of scholarships for college students in this category.

Got any good ideas for such a project based on your experience?

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
13-06-2013, 09:48 AM
RE: Exiting Faith Project
For some ideas, check out The Clergy Project. They are doing some along similar lines for clergy trying to get out of their religious jobs so they can afford insurance and retraining. There might be some ideas there that may lead you to some ways you could do this for teens and other laity.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
13-06-2013, 10:53 AM
Theoretically you could employ the ex-clergy in supporting the ex parishioners as crazy as that sounds.

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like ridethespiral's post
13-06-2013, 11:15 AM
There're many possible funding options with human rights organizations, it may be hard to get them for the US (usually are targeted to developing countries) but you may get some Big Grin

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
13-06-2013, 11:32 AM
I'm back with links:

http://www.clergyproject.org/

Consider hooking up with these folks as they are already looking at emotional support issues. Seems to me there would be great interest in also supporting physical needs:

http://recoveringfromreligion.org/

Or if you want to venture out with your own non-profit fundraising, here are some ideas:

http://www.youcaring.com/blog/post/2013/...-2013.aspx

And of course, starting a non-profit is pretty important for doing something like this:

http://www.wikihow.com/Start-a-501c3-Non...ganization

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
13-06-2013, 03:38 PM
First of, I need to establish what the biggest needs out there are. Is it housing accommodations? Or financial support? Another one is re-establishing a strong social community for new nonbelievers as this seems to be the Achilles Heel the church preys upon. I know everyone is different. I'm going to think about this and how to accomplish it, then post again in a day or so.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
18-06-2013, 04:57 PM
atheist havens
is a great project.
I think it may give some ideas or people can support it

read if ya gonna support

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....