Exodus:7:11

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-10-2013, 04:22 PM
Exodus:7:11
I just thought it would be cool to bring up one of the instances in the Old Testament where Yahweh isn't the only god as modern Christians seem to think.

Ex:7:10: And Moses and Aaron went in unto Pharaoh, and they did so as the LORD had commanded: and Aaron cast down his rod before Pharaoh, and before his servants, and it became a serpent.
Ex:7:11: Then Pharaoh also called the wise men and the sorcerers: now the magicians of Egypt, they also did in like manner with their enchantments.

Now, The Prince of Egypt has a certain take on this, but I doubt any theist is going to take an animated film as an authority. The magicians distract everyone with smoke and mirrors, and come out of the smoke with the snakes. Here, I'll shamelessly flaunt my GIF making powers to show you:

[Image: bb9f521278ec29f8a707b32268834cdf.gif]

Nonetheless, I think this helps to demonstrate that at least in a way, the Jews were Polytheistic, which is a blow against the whole "One True God" idea of Christianity, because the Jews obviously believed in magic. Another thing is that Yahweh didn't use his power to stop the magicians, which would prevent the whole slaughter of thousands of innocent people and children a few chapters later. Here are the possibilities I have come up with: 1. Yahweh is incompetent. 2. Yahweh is a weakling compared to the other gods (except when he isn't). 3. Yahweh is the product of primitive people's imaginations.

[Image: ezgif_save_1.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes TSG's post
06-10-2013, 10:20 PM
RE: Exodus:7:11
Anytime you want a quick and easy crash course in polytheistic origins of traditional monotheism, I reach for Evid3nc3.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
06-10-2013, 11:24 PM
(06-10-2013 04:22 PM)Teen-skeptic-go! Wrote:  Ex:7:10: And Moses and Aaron went in unto Pharaoh, and they did so as the LORD had commanded: and Aaron cast down his rod before Pharaoh, and before his servants, and it became a serpent.
Ex:7:11: Then Pharaoh also called the wise men and the sorcerers: now the magicians of Egypt, they also did in like manner with their enchantments.

There is also Psalm 82:1.

Quote:Nonetheless, I think this helps to demonstrate that at least in a way, the Jews were Polytheistic, which is a blow against the whole "One True God" idea of Christianity, because the Jews obviously believed in magic.

Christians believe in "magic" also but they believe it is of the devil rather than of another god (and that is how they interpret the magic of the Torah and Old Testament).

Judaism is no longer polytheistic nor henotheistic and it was so prior to Christianity. The notion of Yahweh as the "One True God" originated in Judaism. The general consensus is that the "monotheistic rhetoric" --as Smith calls it--of Judaism commenced in the period of Babylonian captivity where the Jews encountered Zoroastrianism. This occurred c. 550 BCE, well before Christianity. (See page pp.165-166 of The Origins of Biblical Monotheism: Israel's Polytheistic Background and the Ugaritic Texts).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chippy's post
12-10-2013, 11:07 AM
(06-10-2013 10:20 PM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Anytime you want a quick and easy crash course in polytheistic origins of traditional monotheism, I reach for Evid3nc3.

I always wondered why the 1st commandment had "other gods" in it. This is incredible, thanks for the post. Joseph Campbell, I think he mentioned that religions arose from world mythologies that were meant as allegory and metaphor and later on became distorted as facts.
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post