Exorcise the children!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2015, 10:02 AM
Exorcise the children!
I choose to put this here rather than the 'recovering from religion' part because I got over it long ago. (I think.)

Let's set the stage. One Christian parent (not devout) and one atheist parent. A child exhibiting signs of early onset mental illness.

The atheist parent says, "Wait and see. It's a phase." The Christian parent gives her family permission to take the child to an exorcism.

Not an exorcism as seen on TV, but a backwoods, pastor-approved, get the whole church involved exorcism.

What I know now is that the entire congregation prayed about it for weeks. It was performed at a "special session" between regular church services one Sunday. They locked the doors after they began.

I think I was six or seven on that lovely spring day. I was bundled into a poofy red dress and driven to a Church of God in a rural area.

So I sit on the aisle end of a pew since it's the easiest way to get out the door. (I didn't like church.) The preacher gets up there and starts ranting and raving about Satan, demons, and evil.

Shortly after, the congregation started jumping over pews and yelling. Some fell out in the floor and twitched around. Some were screaming gibberish. (Speaking in tongues, I know now.) Many of them touched me- on the arm or shoulder- then fell out flopping in the floor. The preacher walked closer to me, microphone in hand, and pointed while he screeched about demons.

The whole time I sat very still and didn't move.

I learned years later that atheist parent and Christian parent had a huge fight about this after it happened. Yet, I never saw a therapist or psychologist- because of the social stigma surrounding such measures, I suppose.

Expecting religion to cure psychological ailments is just stupid. But it's a perfect way to give your kid a complex.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2015, 10:07 AM
RE: Exorcise the children!
Wow. I don't really know what to say. That's awful and I'm sorry you had to go through that.

Swing with me a while, we can listen to the birds call, we can keep each other warm.
Swing with me forever, we can count up every flower, we can weather every storm.
[+] 1 user Likes Losty's post
21-04-2015, 10:54 AM
"One Christian parent (not devout) and one atheist parent."

Not devout? I think you must be mistaken. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
21-04-2015, 11:03 AM
Whew.... I thought you were Michelle Obama saying "Exercise the children!"

Gotta get new glasses.........

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
21-04-2015, 12:10 PM
Re: RE: Exorcise the children!
I picture kids in barred hamster wheels with greasy cheeseburgers hanging just out of reach.

(21-04-2015 10:54 AM)Chas Wrote:  "One Christian parent (not devout) and one atheist parent."

Not devout? I think you must be mistaken. Drinking Beverage

Good point. Not devout as compared to other family members. She didn't share her views, force us to attend church, or attend church herself. But she did allow her side of the family to preach and carry us to church. Kind of.. "Christian by association," for lack of a better term.
21-04-2015, 12:17 PM
I wish your atheist parent would have stepped in before the freak circus.

sending hugs your way Heart

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 2 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
22-04-2015, 08:30 AM
Re: Exorcise the children!
I wish so, too. I had a conversation with him about it. He is of the opinion that children should be exposed to all of "normal" society, and be allowed to make their own decisions when they grow up. I agree- to an extent. The difference is, I explain the ignorance to my kids instead of allowing it to be presented as the truth.

Kids are still learning and developing critical thinking skills. Some things should be avoided until they are better equipped to deal with reality. Repeated exposure to outright horse shit cannot be conducive to a child's emotional well-being.

The church ministrations, coupled with untreated mental illness, left me firmly believing in demons. Until age twelve or so I 'knew' that demons roamed the earth and spoke to me.

Perhaps because I found my reality to be so horrible, I developed DID (according to some doctors, others point to symptoms of PTSD) around eight or so. The lapses into "another me" lasted from weeks to months and were characterized by complete memory loss of what happened in reality. Which is fun, because at the time I was unsure which "place" was real and which was not.

Time, or a developing brain, fixed that issue. As I aged the lapses became fewer and farther apart. By fourteen or so they had stopped completely.
[+] 1 user Likes mecanna's post
22-04-2015, 08:34 AM
My blood boils when I hear stories like yours. This is is nothing but church-sanctioned child abuse. If someone did that to one of my daughters, there would be hell to pay. I am sorry you had to go through this and I hope you are in a much better place now.
[+] 2 users Like Iñigo's post
22-04-2015, 08:50 AM
(22-04-2015 08:34 AM)Iñigo Wrote:  My blood boils when I hear stories like yours. This is is nothing but church-sanctioned child abuse. If someone did that to one of my daughters, there would be hell to pay. I am sorry you had to go through this and I hope you are in a much better place now.

exactly. I am happy that now as an adult you have received some treatment and understand brain devolpoment in kids in how it relates to your situation.

its why many of us are so fierce about fighting religion and clubs in schools. it is child abuse. plain and simple.

I had read or heard somewhere (wish I could remember the source), that indoctrination is more likely to stick if they can make you a believer before age 14- but if you can manage to atleast doubt until age 14 - then your chances/odds of remaining in their grasp decreases dramatically. **

**I think I heard this on the TTA podcast about the Good News Clubs, but I'm not certain

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller