Expanding Universe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2012, 09:34 PM (This post was last modified: 30-08-2012 09:49 PM by Logisch.)
Expanding Universe
Not sure if anyone subscribes to Janna Levin but I enjoy her analogies and explanations. This was so well explained it changed a bit about my thought process and view on the expansion that I previously understood. Has anyone else read any articles or seen videos with any modern physicists that have completely changed the way you understood something you THOUGHT you understood well previously?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Logisch's post
30-08-2012, 09:38 PM
RE: Expanding Universe
Huh

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
30-08-2012, 09:43 PM
I totally copied and pasted the wrong url which i sent to my wife on facebook as a joke, but having meant to copy and paste the levin video... hahahahahahaha. Fixed it. That must have made an interesting read for those that just joined the thread.... "READING RAINBOOOOOW 'UH YEAH' take a look 'WHAT'" hahaha oh i'm laughing so hard
30-08-2012, 10:02 PM
Expanding Universe
I'll get you for this!
Censored

Big Grin

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
31-08-2012, 02:48 AM
The best way I've learned to visualize this is to blow up a balloon about halfway, then put dots all around it, with the dots representing galaxies. Now blow the balloon up more and as it expands you'll see that every dot is moving away from every other dot.
31-08-2012, 03:05 AM
(31-08-2012 02:48 AM)Jeff Wrote:  The best way I've learned to visualize this is to blow up a balloon about halfway, then put dots all around it, with the dots representing galaxies. Now blow the balloon up more and as it expands you'll see that every dot is moving away from every other dot.

I found a problem with that one, and is that it has a center inside the balloon... I like Lawrence Krauss visualization better (0:10:19) which is pretty much the same, but as is just in 2D is easier to avoid misunderstandings

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
31-08-2012, 03:53 AM
(31-08-2012 03:05 AM)nach_in Wrote:  I found a problem with that one, and is that it has a center inside the balloon... I like Lawrence Krauss visualization better (0:10:19) which is pretty much the same, but as is just in 2D is easier to avoid misunderstandings

Agree, and yes I like his visualization too. Thanks for digging it up.
01-09-2012, 11:13 PM
I wonder what it would be like to have that epiphany, with that view, looking out in space... seeing things like no other human saw before. Every time I hear him talk about it, it's an amazing feeling, almost bringing a tear to your eye.

The thing that I find the coolest, is that he's right. And in a funny way, we've evolved and progressed, the universe, itself... to grow up and finally look AT itself. The universe, sitting in a module, looking out at space at itself. We are the universe, looking at itself, every day, looking up with curiosity. "What am I? Who am I?" we are the universe.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Model of the universe itsnotmeitsyou 11 183 09-05-2014 06:03 AM
Last Post: itsnotmeitsyou
  A Mathematical Proof That The Universe Could Have Formed Spontaneously From Nothing itsnotmeitsyou 19 405 15-04-2014 11:52 PM
Last Post: sporehux
  Eternal universe without Big Bang? Mike 81 2,816 11-12-2013 05:02 PM
Last Post: Adenosis
Video Life, the Universe and Nothing (by Prof. Lawrence Krauss) Youkay 1 205 28-10-2013 01:55 PM
Last Post: devilsadvoc8
  Did Our Universe Come from a 4-D Black Hole? southernbelle 6 427 29-09-2013 04:55 AM
Last Post: Heywood Jahblome
  Size of the universe TwoCultSurvivor 97 2,086 16-07-2013 12:18 PM
Last Post: TwoCultSurvivor
  Deepest ocean in universe Korin 36 1,670 26-06-2013 12:19 PM
Last Post: Korin