Expel Egor Please!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2012, 01:36 PM
RE: Expel Egor Please!
So, if Banning is Banned, what do we do about the people who don't want to come here because of Egor? I know at least one person who has expressed that they feel essentially run off by him.

For people who are unaffected, it's easy to say, what's the big deal? Ignore the fucker.

The problem is, he's hard to ignore when he's interjecting his poison all over the place. For those who were not as indoctrinated as others, you may not understand the PTSD issues that come up for former theists. When we see someone with such raging anger as Egor has, it brings back some pretty extreme feelings. I get that. I'm probably not going to leave because of him, but he certainly has destroyed the reason I and others came here for: escape from the pain of toxic religion.

So what do we do? How can we cope since Banning is off the table? How many people are we willing to lose just because we don't want to be seen as censoring his hate speech?

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
02-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Hate speech is a two way street. Something everyone keeps ignoring because they only agree with their hate speech.

We have options available to people who don't want to read anything written by someone. Use ten and abuse them but don't force your ideals on me.

Everyone has their choice to listen or not. It IS easy to ignore someone. If you can't control yourself then that's your problem. Why does someone's inability to self control become everyone's problem?

The option is there to ignore. Use it.

The same reason everyone used to like this place is the same thing that everyone bitches about the second they see something they don't like.

If I banned everyone who said something I don't like or people who I don't agree with or just any fucker who's face repulsed me. Well it would be fucking quiet around here.

Not everyone is going to say shit that is majority approved. That's the best part about a forum like this. Variety of minds who don't agree, sharing their views on things.

The only two things that just aren't cool are outright threats or adspam. Yes certain things can be categorized as adspam that aren't actually advertisements but we all know what they are and we needn't pretend we don't just to get someone unsavory gone.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
02-04-2012, 02:07 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2012 05:18 PM by Lilith Pride.)
I've lived a life the sorts that gets pushed around in a lot of ways. I've worked with many people who feel pressured all the time to ignore their feelings. I can see the importance of not feeling silenced. Sure for a little while Egor calmed down on the whole contrarian attitude but that was only for a short time. He went right back to focusing on and attacking people. He doesn't argue with someone logically, he attacks them. Yes it's important for debaters to be able to stand up to this sort of thing, but many members aren't worried about being debaters. Many members don't even discuss their beliefs outside this forum. Plenty of members barely discuss them here.

My issue with these kinds of arguments is primarily a view I have of the forum which recently it's hard to see. I did not see this forum as primarily being a place where atheists get to spread messages and prove their strength in a battle of wits with theists. I saw this place as somewhere where the question of religion was rather inconsequential. Where I an discuss something without someone backing into a god argument. Where in the end your beliefs have nothing to do with your merit. When these kick/dont kick arguments come up I always hear this same sort of debate centered around the idea that not allowing someone who hurts you to talk is weak. Stop calling us weak when all we want is a break from the chaos we experience everywhere.

Some members are interested in religion, some know little about it, some are smothered by it all the time. I don't mind a contrary belief but I mind contrarians. There are plenty of members who do not believe in a god, that I've been close to having a talk with as well. It's not about his stupid beliefs. I could care less what his opinion on religion is. He is not here promoting understanding and involvement in exploring all that there is to see. He's not here expanding much of anything, he's just inflating his ego by crushing those who aren't looking for a debate. Those who come to feel a little less secluded. Those who ran away from others like him.

Religion, gender, social class, race, I've seen these kinds of assholes in every sort of issue out there. Yes at some point everyone should get used to handling contrarians and dealing with the fact that some people are out to crush your dreams, but plenty of people who come here aren't prepared to jump in the firing squad. Many members are completely quiet outside of the internet. Many of the members here need support more than a challenge, and this is where I truly detest Egor. The main time he interjects with his venomous attacks is when someone is asking for help. He focuses on cutting the heads off of the weaker links.

I don't have a definitive opinon on what should be done with him. I can agree with others that he has no real reason to be banned, but there's no way I'm going to defend him. Ths kind of person is who I'm up against all the time, and I don't want others to have to deal with such anger and rage. Defending someone like him to the extent that some of you do makes me quite sick. There are thoughts I work very hard to overcome. I expose myself to difficult situations all the time, shaking the whole way through. The reason for my speaking out, and for all the exposure I give something that no one would realise if I didn't mention it, is because I want to prove to people there is a better side to the argument. I want them to know the truth before people like him force an idea into their heads.

As I said earlier in this thread. He started this same attack I've had to deal with everywhere I go. I do not come here to prove my existence!!!!!!! I have to do that too often already, with people like him who would rather there not be anyone like me. This place is supposed to be a momentary release from the pressures of being such a minority in so many ways. I'm not saying that debate shouldn't happen, but this shouldn't be the place for venom, this shouldn't be the place where questioning and learning are "smacked down".

We shouldn't be promoting ignorance

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 5 users Like Lilith Pride's post
02-04-2012, 02:11 PM
(02-04-2012 01:51 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Hate speech is a two way street. Something everyone keeps ignoring because they only agree with their hate speech.

We have options available to people who don't want to read anything written by someone. Use ten and abuse them but don't force your ideals on me.

Everyone has their choice to listen or not. It IS easy to ignore someone. If you can't control yourself then that's your problem. Why does someone's inability to self control become everyone's problem?

The option is there to ignore. Use it.

The same reason everyone used to like this place is the same thing that everyone bitches about the second they see something they don't like.

If I banned everyone who said something I don't like or people who I don't agree with or just any fucker who's face repulsed me. Well it would be fucking quiet around here.

Not everyone is going to say shit that is majority approved. That's the best part about a forum like this. Variety of minds who don't agree, sharing their views on things.

The only two things that just aren't cool are outright threats or adspam. Yes certain things can be categorized as adspam that aren't actually advertisements but we all know what they are and we needn't pretend we don't just to get someone unsavory gone.

I'm going to ignore your post since you think it's just a matter of self-control.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
02-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Why infight over someone wo has no real contribution to make? Who is off topic all the time, and I don't mean within a thread, but on the topic of the entire forum?

It's not because he is a theist, so is KC and no one has any issues with him. So are various and sundry people who come here and stay for a while. None of them annoy people to the point of starting to infight.

Re. Ignoring: He is on my ignore (the only person there) and I see his collapsed posts and I see the threads he starts. Ignoring is not complete.

I really like this forum, but you can take anarchy too far. And I think too far is when it disturbs the peace. People here are all ages and nationalities and walks of life and everyone gets along just fine. I hate to see that upset by one person. Undecided

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
02-04-2012, 02:35 PM
Well done.

I knew you could do it even if you didn't.

Also there is no promotion of ignorance. But why is it that people only seem to think Egor capable of ignorance?
I'm seeing it a lot in this very thread.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
02-04-2012, 02:39 PM
I don't like the idea of kicking him unless he contravenes forum rules. If you can make a case that he has done so then that's different. If you want to change forum rules that's another option. If we don't follow the rules we become the enemy as far as I'm concerned. Then all that crap that was talked in the WCF thread about how we don't censor alternative views becomes so much sanctimonious bullshit.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
02-04-2012, 02:44 PM
I think it's been pretty well understood that banning is not an option. That's why I brought up the question: so what can be done?
As far as ignorance amongst others, you're right...I saw it in a couple of posts back when someone said just have self-control and you'll get over your PTSD issues.

~Izel
02-04-2012, 02:55 PM
My favorite thing is when people twist other peoples words into meaning things they never actually meant.
Bravo Erxomai, you win an award!

Self control would relate to using the ignore function, or avoiding peoples posts, or you know God forbid... not reading posts made by your select brand of undesirables. It is extremely easy to do in practice. If someone has some mental issue that prevents them from doing so, that sucks. But again it's that persons issue.

I'd love to make everyone happy. But that's impossible. So what I do is follow forum rules, and make judgement calls. I have to listen to a lot of people complaining about how this is done. No matter what I am to do I will get this. I learned that from Stark when he got rid of Parture. There were people who had some complaint for both sides of that argument.

When you say that you just want to know what to do since banning isn't currently an option I feel as though I've already answered that. Ignore. There's an app for that.

02-04-2012, 03:12 PM
(02-04-2012 02:55 PM)lucradis Wrote:  My favorite thing is when people twist other peoples words into meaning things they never actually meant.
Bravo Erxomai, you win an award!

Self control would relate to using the ignore function, or avoiding peoples posts, or you know God forbid... not reading posts made by your select brand of undesirables. It is extremely easy to do in practice. If someone has some mental issue that prevents them from doing so, that sucks. But again it's that persons issue.

I'd love to make everyone happy. But that's impossible. So what I do is follow forum rules, and make judgement calls. I have to listen to a lot of people complaining about how this is done. No matter what I am to do I will get this. I learned that from Stark when he got rid of Parture. There were people who had some complaint for both sides of that argument.

When you say that you just want to know what to do since banning isn't currently an option I feel as though I've already answered that. Ignore. There's an app for that.
Eh, that was child's play. I can twist words much more effectively than that! Tongue

~Izel