Expel Egor Please!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-04-2012, 03:15 PM
RE: Expel Egor Please!
(02-04-2012 02:44 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I think it's been pretty well understood that banning is not an option. That's why I brought up the question: so what can be done?
As far as ignorance amongst others, you're right...I saw it in a couple of posts back when someone said just have self-control and you'll get over your PTSD issues.
Any action taken would have to be on an individual basis. We can make sure that new users are warned, make sure that they know that Egor is tolerated, not encouraged. That's if he goes on his "I am going to be a giant dick" mission...

I haven't been paying too much attention but I haven't noticed him actually being a giant dick and jumping on newbies recently. Mostly as far as I can see he's been posting only in one or two threads. There's been a couple of guys engaging him - with not much love lost on either side. That's just standard insult-belittle protocol, which any forum member engages in from time to time.

Is there a particular reason why this has suddenly come up again? Did he do something particularly horrible? I thought we spent like an entire week going "RAWR Egor" a while back and it was boring as hell so please for the love of fucking can we forget this?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
02-04-2012, 04:17 PM
Getting really bored of saying it but once more for old times sake;

If you have a problem of this nature with someone's posts (whether it be Egor or someone else) then only reply to the posts where they are civil! People join a forum to communicate and if the only way they can do that is to be civil then they will soon play nice. How about you all try that instead of the continually bitching and exacerbation of the problem?

Also Lucradis, how about we put a side-note on the Forum Rules thread explaining that we only ban in the case of spam or threatening behaviour? Make it clear that there is no point even asking for someone to be banned over attitude.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
[+] 1 user Likes Hughsie's post
02-04-2012, 04:23 PM
Getting really bored of saying this.
I wasn't saying he should be banned. I was saying that many of you don't understand the PTSD issues some of us have, and using the "Ignore" button or just averting one's eyes isn't a tenable solution.
Peace out on this issue.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
02-04-2012, 04:24 PM (This post was last modified: 02-04-2012 04:25 PM by Hughsie.)
In fact can we have a new sticky at the topic of the Intro section explaining the stance on banning?

We could also put various non-ban solutions to people who have a problem with another member. Hell, I'd even be happy to write it myself if anyone wants.

1) If you feel a person is derailing a thread unnecessarily then don't post a message saying so, it derails a thread more.

2) We have an ignore list feature, use it!

3) The point I just made in the post above.

4) If you still have a problem either PM a mod or post in the FMT section (if it helps I don't mind being the go-to guy for any complaints).

We could have a thread along the lines of what I just wrote, just more clear and eloquent.
(02-04-2012 04:23 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  Getting really bored of saying this.
I wasn't saying he should be banned. I was saying that many of you don't understand the PTSD issues some of us have, and using the "Ignore" button or just averting one's eyes isn't a tenable solution.
Peace out on this issue.
That wasn't directed at you, it was directed at the people who are screaming for the ban-hammer Smile.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
02-04-2012, 04:37 PM
(02-04-2012 04:24 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  That wasn't directed at you, it was directed at the people who are screaming for the ban-hammer Smile.
Sorry, it's my time of the month so I'm likely to take things too personally today.
Plus I hate seeing prominent members chased off by the evil Ogre, I mean Egor.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
03-04-2012, 02:26 AM

(02-04-2012 01:36 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  So, if Banning is Banned, what do we do about the people who don't want to come here because of Egor? I know at least one person who has expressed that they feel essentially run off by him.

For people who are unaffected, it's easy to say, what's the big deal? Ignore the fucker.

The problem is, he's hard to ignore when he's interjecting his poison all over the place. For those who were not as indoctrinated as others, you may not understand the PTSD issues that come up for former theists. When we see someone with such raging anger as Egor has, it brings back some pretty extreme feelings. I get that. I'm probably not going to leave because of him, but he certainly has destroyed the reason I and others came here for: escape from the pain of toxic religion.

So what do we do? How can we cope since Banning is off the table? How many people are we willing to lose just because we don't want to be seen as censoring his hate speech?

This is total bullshit. And you know it. You want me to be banned so you can sit back and gloat over the fact that you manipulated the situation. You want the smackdown and you know it. And you know what, that tactic works all the time in other forums. But this forum is different. And if I was banned from this forum, all the people like you who say I'm aggravating their PTSD would come over to my website and post there. I've seen it before.

Look, when I get famous, and I will, at least you'll be able to say we used to fight in TTAF.

(02-04-2012 01:51 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Hate speech is a two way street. Something everyone keeps ignoring because they only agree with their hate speech.

We have options available to people who don't want to read anything written by someone. Use ten and abuse them but don't force your ideals on me.

Everyone has their choice to listen or not. It IS easy to ignore someone. If you can't control yourself then that's your problem. Why does someone's inability to self control become everyone's problem?

The option is there to ignore. Use it.

The same reason everyone used to like this place is the same thing that everyone bitches about the second they see something they don't like.

If I banned everyone who said something I don't like or people who I don't agree with or just any fucker who's face repulsed me. Well it would be fucking quiet around here.

Not everyone is going to say shit that is majority approved. That's the best part about a forum like this. Variety of minds who don't agree, sharing their views on things.

The only two things that just aren't cool are outright threats or adspam. Yes certain things can be categorized as adspam that aren't actually advertisements but we all know what they are and we needn't pretend we don't just to get someone unsavory gone.

I will say this, but I know you already know it, there isn't anyone who is going to leave this forum because of me. I find your ability to stand up and be a leader impressive. My experience has been that such is not the case in most online forums over the last two decades.

(02-04-2012 02:07 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  I've lived a life the sorts that gets pushed around in a lot of ways. I've worked with many people who feel pressured all the time to ignore their feelings. I can see the importance of not feeling silenced. Sure for a little while Egor calmed down on the whole contrarian attitude but that was only for a short time. He went right back to focusing on and attacking people. He doesn't argue with someone logically, he attacks them. Yes it's important for debaters to be able to stand up to this sort of thing, but many members aren't worried about being debaters. Many members don't even discuss their beliefs outside this forum. Plenty of members barely discuss them here.

My issue with these kinds of arguments is primarily a view I have of the forum which recently it's hard to see. I did not see this forum as primarily being a place where atheists get to spread messages and prove their strength in a battle of wits with theists. I saw this place as somewhere where the question of religion was rather inconsequential. Where I an discuss something without someone backing into a god argument. Where in the end your beliefs have nothing to do with your merit. When these kick/dont kick arguments come up I always hear this same sort of debate centered around the idea that not allowing someone who hurts you to talk is weak. Stop calling us weak when all we want is a break from the chaos we experience everywhere.

Some members are interested in religion, some know little about it, some are smothered by it all the time. I don't mind a contrary belief but I mind contrarians. There are plenty of members who do not believe in a god, that I've been close to having a talk with as well. It's not about his stupid beliefs. I could care less what his opinion on religion is. He is not here promoting understanding and involvement in exploring all that there is to see. He's not here expanding much of anything, he's just inflating his ego by crushing those who aren't looking for a debate. Those who come to feel a little less secluded. Those who ran away from others like him.

Religion, gender, social class, race, I've seen these kinds of assholes in every sort of issue out there. Yes at some point everyone should get used to handling contrarians and dealing with the fact that some people are out to crush your dreams, but plenty of people who come here aren't prepared to jump in the firing squad. Many members are completely quiet outside of the internet. Many of the members here need support more than a challenge, and this is where I truly detest Egor. The main time he interjects with his venomous attacks is when someone is asking for help. He focuses on cutting the heads off of the weaker links.

I don't have a definitive opinon on what should be done with him. I can agree with others that he has no real reason to be banned, but there's no way I'm going to defend him. Ths kind of person is who I'm up against all the time, and I don't want others to have to deal with such anger and rage. Defending someone like him to the extent that some of you do makes me quite sick. There are thoughts I work very hard to overcome. I expose myself to difficult situations all the time, shaking the whole way through. The reason for my speaking out, and for all the exposure I give something that no one would realise if I didn't mention it, is because I want to prove to people there is a better side to the argument. I want them to know the truth before people like him force an idea into their heads.

As I said earlier in this thread. He started this same attack I've had to deal with everywhere I go. I do not come here to prove my existence!!!!!!! I have to do that too often already, with people like him who would rather there not be anyone like me. This place is supposed to be a momentary release from the pressures of being such a minority in so many ways. I'm not saying that debate shouldn't happen, but this shouldn't be the place for venom, this shouldn't be the place where questioning and learning are "smacked down".

We shouldn't be promoting ignorance

Your whining is abnoxious. It really is. I told you before, and I'm going to say it again for the record. I don't give a shit about your lifestyle. I am not anti-gay, I don't care what clothes you wear or what surgeries you have or what you call yourself or what an intersexed transsexual lesbian is. You invited me to have a PM session with you about it, but I don't want to. I don't hate you, I don't even dislike you. I just don't care. So, you making me out to be this rightwing gay-bashing whatever is stupid. Dodgy

(02-04-2012 02:39 PM)morondog Wrote:  I don't like the idea of kicking him unless he contravenes forum rules. If you can make a case that he has done so then that's different. If you want to change forum rules that's another option. If we don't follow the rules we become the enemy as far as I'm concerned. Then all that crap that was talked in the WCF thread about how we don't censor alternative views becomes so much sanctimonious bullshit.

Well said. Bowing
Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2012, 02:32 AM
I was one the the very first persons.. /person ... to call out on Egor's bullshit at the very beginning... on his very first post to the boards with his flamboient crap.... I saw it.. I called it... and the flames ensued....
anyhow.. I think the idiot has his head so far up his own ass that no stomach window will ever help him see clearly...
Evil_monster ~ yes.... I am the devil.....

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 1 user Likes ddrew's post
03-04-2012, 03:45 AM
(03-04-2012 02:26 AM)Egor Wrote:  Look, when I get famous, and I will, at least you'll be able to say we used to fight in TTAF.

Fucking Egor... Big Grin

It is my consideration hat there is eleventy pages of this thread more from what he represents than what he is. When the theists are quiet, we all sit around with our thumbs up our asses; when one crawls outta the woodwork, it's a feeding frenzy. Seems that Egor is taking shit 'cause he can give as good as he gets. Good for him. Sure, he says some asinine sanctimonious bullshit, but if he didn't, he wouldn't be a theist. Big Grin

Thing about atheist forums, they ain't for the faint of heart. Start catering to the least common denominator, then this place will be another deviantArt.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
03-04-2012, 05:13 AM
I know you don't care, and for the record I suggested taking it to IM because I didn't want to have tis sort of discussion with you on a forum. I've dealt with plenty of people like you and I don't want others to have to see it. I'm not whining, I'm trying to look out for people. Get a life

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 3 users Like Lilith Pride's post
03-04-2012, 09:50 AM
Of all you crybabies that want to ban Egor, was there at least ONE person who has sent him a PM where you try to ask him as a human to ease up a bit? Have any of you tried talking to him? Not rant, just normal, polite calm talk...

I did and he was polite enough. I never asked him to do anything, I just exchanged some posts with him here and on his blog. His responses were polite, normal, even intelligent, no matter the context.

So, if he leaves because of ban, I leave because of protest! I had a feeling this forum is a bit different, so did Egor, now you can prove us wrong, or right. It is up to you, pussies!

Bite my shiny metal ass!

Tongue

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 4 users Like Filox's post