Experiences with Earth-Centered Religions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-04-2015, 12:49 PM
Experiences with Earth-Centered Religions
I've heard that after some people realize that they no longer believe in their parents' religion, they go through a neo-pagan phase before identifying as an atheist.

I know that in my experience I started exploring in that direction. When I was in my teens I became interested in nature-centered belief systems, magick, and things like that. This lasted for a couple years.

Later I became comfortable identifying as nonreligious.

So I was wondering, did any of you guys have a similar experience with earth-centered religions after leaving Christianity (if that was your former belief system)?

Also, why do you think some people have to gradually transition from being religious to nonreligious, while others make the transition much more quickly and easily?

[Image: z555d8ccd8ce21.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-04-2015, 01:33 PM
RE: Experiences with Earth-Centered Religions
Nope and residual fear.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-04-2015, 02:02 PM
I've never been much of believer to begin with, it was rather traditional way to spend Sunday mornings, so no I don't looked for comfort in another religion. Hovewer I have certain fondness of Nordic mythology.

As for other people I don't know. Maybe searching for faith that would suit them?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
23-04-2015, 02:16 PM
(23-04-2015 12:49 PM)Helen_Damnation Wrote:  I've heard that after some people realize that they no longer believe in their parents' religion, they go through a neo-pagan phase before identifying as an atheist.

I know that in my experience I started exploring in that direction. When I was in my teens I became interested in nature-centered belief systems, magick, and things like that. This lasted for a couple years.

Later I became comfortable identifying as nonreligious.

So I was wondering, did any of you guys have a similar experience with earth-centered religions after leaving Christianity (if that was your former belief system)?

Also, why do you think some people have to gradually transition from being religious to nonreligious, while others make the transition much more quickly and easily?

I went from roman catholic to a jesus freak level christian to agnostic to atheist. As a roman catholic--no one I knew actually read the Bible. We just absorbed whatever we were spoon fed (you know the non-offensive passages) in church. I switched to over to christianity because a lot of friends I had who were christian could readily cite Bible passages--something I personally was never really taught as a catholic. So I started reading the specially selected church passages in the New Testament and memorized them--along with all of my Chrisitian friends and I believed every word about it---until I actually did a little *extra* reading on my own. I read all of the New Testament and got to the part where the dead saints rise from their graves. So then I decided to read the Old Testament...which had even more silliness. I then became agnostic because all of my christian friends swore I was going to hell if I didn't believe. So I was scared to fully make the leap to atheism. Then I started reading EVERYTHING. I read from both sides of the argument. And then made my choice: atheism all the way.
23-04-2015, 02:46 PM
Re: Experiences with Earth-Centered Religions
Once I realized that demons were not talking to me, (lol) I jumped neck deep into pagan/new age spiritual woo.

It took me a long time to wade out of the muck.
23-04-2015, 03:00 PM
I meandered that way and know several other people who did as well.

I think part of it stems from finding the religious texts and teachings to be idiotic and full of centuries old thoughts, but not concluding that it means there is nothing to "woo" or spirituality. So many people jump off into Buddhist or Pagan earth centered thoughts like Wiccans & other groups.

It's then some stay with those thoughts or begin to see despite if they like those aspects of religious thought it doesn't have any more credence to being an answer to reality.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
23-04-2015, 03:10 PM
(23-04-2015 02:16 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I went from roman catholic to a jesus freak level christian to agnostic to atheist. As a roman catholic--no one I knew actually read the Bible. We just absorbed whatever we were spoon fed (you know the non-offensive passages) in church. I switched to over to christianity because a lot of friends I had who were christian could readily cite Bible passages--something I personally was never really taught as a catholic. So I started reading the specially selected church passages in the New Testament and memorized them--along with all of my Chrisitian friends and I believed every word about it---until I actually did a little *extra* reading on my own. I read all of the New Testament and got to the part where the dead saints rise from their graves. So then I decided to read the Old Testament...which had even more silliness. I then became agnostic because all of my christian friends swore I was going to hell if I didn't believe. So I was scared to fully make the leap to atheism. Then I started reading EVERYTHING. I read from both sides of the argument. And then made my choice: atheism all the way.

I was lucky that my close friends didn't really care much when I told them I didn't believe anymore. They were actually happy because I was a self-righteous Jesus-freak up until then.

Then I got into magick and crystals and nature-centered beliefs when I was coming to terms with my lack of belief in Christianity. It really helped ease me along to where I am now, and it helped me understand that I'd rather have a reasonable worldview than a magical worldview.

[Image: z555d8ccd8ce21.gif]